5.0 out of 5 stars My First
This was the first book of poetry I ever bought. This exact edition. Wandering into Waterstones aged 14, my only previous experience with "adult" poetry being (because I was a moody teenage girl, and it's somewhat required of us) Sylvia Plath, I was initially attracted to "The Waste Land" because I thought it sounded dark and grand and apocalyptic. That, and because I was...
Published on 28 Jun 2010 by Blink

2.0 out of 5 stars I was looking for a beautiful real ink-and-paper edition of TS Eliot
My review is specifically about the presentation of the published book, not on the content! I was looking for a beautiful real ink-and-paper edition of TS Eliot, and in our day and age of ipads and kindles and unlimited free content, the quality of , well, paper and ink, was important for me to justify using up one more space on my space-constrained bookshelf. The...
Published 21 days ago by Suzie Bennett

2.0 out of 5 stars Bought for Uni, not to my tastes., 6 Dec 2012
I'm not a fan of Elliot. I won't be reading any more of this. The physical book itself is fine.

2.0 out of 5 stars Beyond Me!, 29 Nov 2012
Too clever by half. His latin and his allusions were difficult to understand. Some of the poetry 'flowed' but I could not always understand it.

5.0 out of 5 stars The greatest poems by the greatest poet, 18 Oct 2009
The book itself consists of a good-quality hardcover, and whilst the cover illustration isn't that good, the main merit of this edition is that it combines portability with durability at a cheap price.

The poems contained are probably the best ever written and certainly the greatest I have ever read. T. S. Eliot manages to make the poems sound as if they had been written only yesterday rather than in the 1920s, and this modernity combined with the epic almost biblical language used is a key feature of the poems. Classic lines such as `April is the cruellest month' and `I will show you fear in a handful of dust' will stay with you and you can easily read the poems again and again. Many of them take the forms of streams of consciousness and include brilliant language contrasted with a more everyday Larkin style in a style distinctively the poet's own, yet including lines in a variety of languages and also referencing other works.

Although some may dislike the poems for perhaps being hard to get into they're worth the attempt and include some of the most memorable lines ever written in English. For this price T.s. Eliot's poems are definetly worth getting into.

5.0 out of 5 stars The greatest poet of the 20th Century., 15 Oct 2002
This review is from: Selected Poems of T. S. Eliot (Paperback)
This is a fantastic book from the greatest poet of the 2oth century. I am a 16 year-old and having just started A level courses, ihave found that my readings of Eliot have helped enormously with my understanding of other poetry. I would argue that if one can come some way to understanding Eliot, then there is nothing out there that one will not understand. He is known for his complexity but this must not be labelled impenetrable, though Eliot's poems are often obscure and challenging there is always a message that Eliot wanted us to see. I have been reading Eliot since I was 15 and my liking of him has grown with age, I also love the victorian poets such as Browning, Empson, Baudelaire, Blake etc and many of the modern poets such as Thomas, Plath and so on but I have always found that there is something extra special about Eliot. His range of poetry is one thing, from the masterpiece of "The Waste Land" to the phillisophical genuis of "Four Quartets", to the humour and sadness of "Prufrock" to the mystery and brilliance of "The Hollow Men" Eliot has everything. I think his poetry is widely mis-understood and critics argue over meaning and miss the point that Eliot placed one's own perception so much higher than accepted views and ideas, hence the fact that he never answered questions on "The Waste Land". Definately buy this book and make up your own mind, learn and gain pleasure from a truly remarkable mind.

5.0 out of 5 stars great buy, 11 Aug 2014
lovely feel to the book

5.0 out of 5 stars T S Eliot - all his poems, 25 Sep 2010
R. Williamson "r3w" (Newcastle) - See all my reviews
All the poems you could ever need. Needed it for uni, not much else to say!

3.0 out of 5 stars Moving, 8 Oct 2011
This was a lovely book. Sadly it didn't have an introduction or such, but the poems are very much worth it, especially The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Poet who Defined An Age, 21 Sep 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Selected Poems of T. S. Eliot (Paperback)
These poems are personally selected by Eliot. They are impassionate and calculating whilst strangely motivating. I am an A - Level student and these poems have provided a motive and modus operandi for my own efforts.

Selected Poems of T. S. Eliot
Selected Poems of T. S. Eliot by T.S. Eliot (Paperback - 18 Feb 2002)
7.69