5.0 out of 5 stars A manufacturing management written as a story not a textbook
Published on 6 July 1999

3.0 out of 5 stars Only ok...........
i was recommended this book whilst undertaking Lean training. I found it fairly informative - if a bit heavy going in parts - not really a novel and not really a text book............ I felt the book wasn't sure which category it fell into. However, that said - i quite enjoyed it - but glad I didn't pay full price and got this as a 'second hand' amazon bargain!
Published on 11 Aug. 2010 by Preston Girl

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A manufacturing management written as a story not a textbook, 6 July 1999
This review is from: The Goal: A Process of Ongoing Improvement (Paperback)
This book was recommended to me as part of my management degree at UMIST. It is a must for anybody with an interest in manufacturing and management. It deals with all sorts of manufacturing issues inventory / capacity / lean production etc but tells the tale in a novel based format that is exciting and meaningful. How many textbooks do you read, put down and then remember about 2% of ? This book ensures that you remember 90 % of the principles for years to come. An excellent management tool.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, better read if you can put it into practice., 26 Nov. 2001
This review is from: The Goal: A Process of Ongoing Improvement (Paperback)
I agree with the other reviews here, that this book is a can't put down item, although a takes a 2nd read to start to understand the concept more clearly and then the even more difficult bit is actually being able to put that concept into practice within an organisation, I strongly believe that not only does the entire culture of the organisation need changing in line with the TOC concept but it must be part and parcel of the way the whole organisations operates. I work in large global telecoms company and we are just beginning to adopt this way of thinking in our business and are due to start making in roads into the cultural issues surrounding the adoption of TOC.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best management books ever written !, 13 May 2004
This review is from: The Goal: A Process of Ongoing Improvement (Paperback)
You find yourself reading a very interesting and gripping Novel about a guy called Alex Rogo, a plant manager, frantically attempting to save his plant, his job and his wife. As a stand alone Novel, the book is compulsive reading but the fast-moving story, is the vehicle Eliyahu Goldratt uses to communicate a powerful management theory : the theory of constraints, a fascinating theory he himself developed. It get's into common manufacturing problems (bottle-necks, set-ups, resource management) offering clear and concise solutions. It's a great read and unlike the One Minute manager series, there's no touchy/feely stuff.
Excellent book !

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for those in Business Process, 6 Aug. 2001
This review is from: The Goal: A Process of Ongoing Improvement (Paperback)
I first read this book as part of my Business Studies Degree and this played an invaluable role in my learning process....
Since that time I have been working in various ares of business and have recently ended up running the operations management for a large organisation. As a result I decided to repurchase the book that provided such a good base for me.
This book is written in a manner that deals with complex issues and puts them into a simple yet excellent form that highlights the major points of what is important in this field.
Ultimately, the Goal tries to show how a business should look at issues with a view of increasing profitability. A must!

4.0 out of 5 stars Only useful in manufacturing? Certainly not!, 28 Feb. 1999
This review is from: The Goal: A Process of Ongoing Improvement (Paperback)
Common sense, easy to read, but most of all in this book about manufacturing the author describes situations that can be identified in every process, not just in manufacturing. The scenarios he comes up with are certainly worth a few good thoughts as well. Therefor as a project manager in the business of software development I recommend this book. The only minus - which in my opinion cost this book its fifth crown - is the finish. I had the feeling that the author had finished his message and did not know how to finish the book. I was hoping for more excellent and sensible stuff though.

4.0 out of 5 stars You read it like a novel but use it like a business book, 19 Oct. 2001
This review is from: The Goal: A Process of Ongoing Improvement (Paperback)
This book tells the story of a plant manager fighting to save its business. So you would think that it is directed to manufacturing managers who want to improve their operations; not at all. I work in software quality and this book has been very helpful to put the theory I learned during my MBA in perspective and helped me see how I can use this theory. Warning: Once you start this book, you won't be able to put it down.
Note, however, that this book is not a scientific book about the theory of constraints, lean manufacturing, or inventory management. But after you finish this book, you want to learn more about those concepts.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievable, 7 Sept. 2003
Mark Cameron (Dubai, United Arab Emirates) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Goal: A Process of Ongoing Improvement (Paperback)
Bought the book on the Monday and received it on the Friday. It's now the Sunday and I have read the book non-stop all weekend. I have now logged on to buy more books by the same author. 100% engaging. How often can you say that about a text book ?

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book to read on job - share it with the boss!, 27 Jun. 2002
This review is from: The Goal: A Process of Ongoing Improvement (Paperback)
I really enjoyed this book. It works. It's a business book but it's message is woven into a novel with a plot, a hero, a climax and a happy ending.
As a non-business person, I can't really tell if the business ideas are sound or not. They seem to be plausible and they are appealing; particularly the ideas that relate to the futility of many modern management techniques.
The writer sells us his theories by letting the underdog characters - those on the factory floor (hero included) - show us that the conventional way of doing things doesn't work. Only by rebelling and taking risks, are the underdogs able to turn their factory around. The bad guys, that is, management in their ivory towers, are more of a hindrance than a help. Somehow, this all rings true - the writer really taps into something about management not having a clue.
The hero is made attractive to us because he doesn't have all the solutions himself. He is forced to nut out many of his new concepts with his colleagues. Their team work and team spirit is
inspirational. They come across as mere mortals, prone to latching onto erroneous beliefs and only after much blood, sweat and tears are they able to make their triumphal breakthroughs.
The road to these breakthroughs is a gripping ride: will the team, lead by Alex, the hero, be able to save the factory? The clock is ticking and with the solution of each problem, comes new problems. Nail biting stuff! Some of the jargon gets tedious at times but most of it can be skimmed through.
Some proof of the effectiveness of this book's ability to sell its message is that it makes me want to rush out and try to solve all of my problems - not just business ones - by applying the techniques canvassed in the book.
The thing I like most about this book is that one could easily justify reading it at work.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent guide to all areas of management., 3 April 2001
This review is from: The Goal: A Process of Ongoing Improvement (Paperback)
This book was mentioned in passing by one of my lecturers, while I was studying for my Honours degree in Accounting. While I was at the library that day, I picked it up, to look for quotes. I didn't put it down. I got about 80% in the course.
I thought the book was remarkable, in it's ability to bring complex, and intricate theories home. It built knowledge, slowly, and surely, from the first to the last page, while keeping the reader interested, with a "heartwarming" storyline.
I can't reccomend this book enough. and not just to industrial manufactruing firms. I think that the book has a tremendously wide area of application, to all areas of industry. You wouldn't believe the "bottlenecks" I see around the accounting office each day! And the setup times on an Audit are something that management often fails to consider.

4.0 out of 5 stars This is THE book that will improve your business, 9 Jan. 2008
Lance Mitchell (Hampshire, UK, Northern Hemisphere, Planet Earth) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Goal: A Process of Ongoing Improvement (Paperback)
I have lost count of the number of people to whom I have recommended this book. Whatever area of management you find yourself in, and at every level from business studies student to CEO and CFO, you are bound to pick up something useful from "The Goal."

The story follows the complex life of Alex Rogo as he works at one problem after another. With the help of his old friend, Jonah, he identifies and solves problem after problem, on the road to saving his manufacturing plant, his own job and those of his colleagues, and his marriage. Each problem is broken down into its simplest components so that the real priorities are easily identified and dealt with.

Satisfying the senior management of his company and the accountants that he has turned around the fortunes of his plant proves difficult, but he supports his arguments with solid evidence.

Managers will recognise many of the problems that Alex encounters as, although part of this fiction, they belong to the real world rather than the theoretical text books that they may be used to reading. The story is far from dull and is easy to read and to understand.

What particularly appealed to me, as a practitioner of process modelling and simulation, was the way that these techniques were used to bring about significant business improvements. The power and value of such techniques was ably demonstrated and should encourage many more companies to put them into practice.

Eli Goldratt has succeeded where many have failed, to put these concepts into language that everyone can understand and therefore benefit.

The only negative comment that I have about this book is that I felt that the background story became a little bit tedious towards the end, but the value gained from reading the rest far out-weighed this minor moan.

Buy it. Read it. Improve!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Goal: A Process of Ongoing Improvement
The Goal: A Process of Ongoing Improvement by Jeff Cox (Paperback - 8 July 1993)
Used & New from: £0.01