5.0 out of 5 stars Just relax and enjoy it...
Published on 20 Aug 2001

1.0 out of 5 stars Doctor Who at its silliest!
Published on 29 Jan 2001 by kpjones77@hotmail.com

5.0 out of 5 stars Just relax and enjoy it..., 20 Aug 2001
This review is from: Doctor Who: Verdigris (Mass Market Paperback)
Easily the best of the past Doctor adventures. Yes, it is extremely silly. But y'see, what some people don't seem to remember is that so is the whole concept! This is good fun, heavily flavoured with cheesy '70s telefantasy. It isn't remotely pompous, pretentious or self obsessed and is therefore up there with the very best 'Who' material of any era! Oh, and I would dearly love to see more of the UNIT supermarket.

1.0 out of 5 stars Doctor Who at its silliest!, 29 Jan 2001
This review is from: Doctor Who: Verdigris (Mass Market Paperback)
Well as a lasped Doctor Who fan it was with a sense of excitement that I picked up this book. What better way to re-enter the world of Who that with a Pertwee adventure. Alas it was with delight that I finished this daft, indulgent and completely forgettable book. Doctor Who has always demonstrated, at its best, a dry sense of humour. Somebody clearly forgot to tell Paul Magrs. From writing in the deeply annoying Iris, an old biddy who has a constant crush on the Doctor Magrs attempts to beguile us with leaden humour. I want the Doctor to star as the hero not have to put up with a dreadfully one-dimensional 'comic' character, Iris, sharing the stage. If this was not bad enough we have our suspension of disbelief clearly broken by another example of Magrs' arrogrance. He clearly thinks he is witty to have characters introduce the idea that Daleks, amongst others, are not real but are operated by men who step inside the Dalek shell. For anyone who is not an obsessive Who fan and longs for the golden days of Who to return this is a book to avoid. If you remember the dreadful stories that littered the dying days of the BBC tv show then you will appreciate how bad this is. The Seventh Doctor would fully understand how lame and painful a read this proves to be. I've picked up "Doctor Who: Revolution Man" immediately after reading "Verdigris". I need to find some evidence that the Doctor I loved, notable the fourth and fifth incarnations, can still prosper. I just hope "Docto Who: Verdigris" gets lost in the time vortex somewhere!

2.0 out of 5 stars A well-written book, but just not my style., 2 May 2001
This review is from: Doctor Who: Verdigris (Mass Market Paperback)
As I picked up this book, I was very eager as to what I would be reading in the near future. After hearing about Dr. Who numerous times, I was interested and excited to see what it's all about. Now that I have completed it, I feel that it was very well written and understand how all of these people are such big fans of Who, but it's just not my kind of book. Sure, I saw the humor and laughed aloud, especially in the first part of the book. The time Ms. Wildthyme and Tom broke into one of Doctor Who's many "countryside retreats" and were messing with the owner (who was a karate freak), I was actually enjoying the book and looking forward to what was coming next. One other instance comes to mind, when I think of the humor in this novel: when there was conversation about Jenny (Iris's former assistant) experienced diarrhea each time she got on the double-decker bus, TARDIS, and traveled in time. It was especially entertaining because she was portrayed as a tomboy and I thought she was a lesbian. Despite the occasional humor, this book just didn't keep me interested. I thought that the mystery part of it could have moved along quicker, and that too many unnecesary details were added, thus slowing the pace of the book. All of these "extras", contributed to my loss of interest. I believe that Magrs tried to incorporate too many ideas into 1 book. He needed to focus more on one thing and less of the other. But I do, as I stated earlier, see how there are people who love these books. I typically enjoy novels that are more realistic because I am able to try to predict what will happen based on logic. But with this science fiction, it seems as though anything can happen, and I don't appreciate they false approach as much. Another reason I didn't exactly enjoy the book, is that Iris Wildthyme drives me crazy from the very beginning when she intrudes on the Doctor and Jo's holiday vacation from the unit, by inviting herself and Tom. She just seemed rude and intrusive the entire book, and aggravated me beyond belief! She just needs to understand one thing: She will never have Dr. Who just to herself...he doesn't like her! Finally, the ending (which finally came about) disappointed me. It's probably once again because I like non-fiction, but tell me how both the protagonist and antagonist can possibly both end up with a happy ending???

5.0 out of 5 stars Verdigris, 28 May 2014
This review is from: Doctor Who: Verdigris (Mass Market Paperback)
Verdigris was the PDA I was most looking forward to reading when I first got it as it featured a cool cover and featured the 3rd Doctor, my all-time favourite. Since then however I have read the average The Scarlett Empress and the mind numbingly awful The Blue Angel, both also by Paul Magrs, which have seriously made me want to not bother with this book. Still it’s a short one and it has big writing. Much to my surprise I found myself enjoying Verdigris tremendously. Magrs’ usual meta fiction is present, and bits are very tongue in cheek, but the result isn’t as bad as The Scarlett Empress or The Blue Angel, as it happens in an era I am comfortable with. What I really liked about Verdigris was the fun poked at the era with Yates being reduced to an actual cardboard character a work of genius. I won’t ruin the book anymore, but there are plenty of little jibes and in references to the 70’s era which make it well worth a read alone.

Plot wise, Verdigris is a bit wobbly. UNIT have gone missing and a train carriage full of literary characters have turned up, along with Iris Wildthyme and her companion Tom. Tom is approached by a cult to help dispose of the Doctor. Things get really confusing when robot sheep appear along with the Master. The thing is as much as the story is random, it all makes senses in a linear way which is a huge improvement on The Blue Angel.

Despite my dislike of most of Magrs ideas he has had one excellent creation, the wonderful Iris Wildthyme. I prefer the model we get here, the old lady, but her super sexy Barberella model is also a joy to read. The relatively unknown relationship between her and the Doctor is great and the bickering is superb not to mention her constantly trying to bed him. The Doctor himself is spot on as the grumpy but kindly 3rd Doctor, full of pomp and ceremony. Jo and Tom are done well too, although the 70s Vs 00’s difference isn’t touched on nearly enough as it could have been. Tom is an interesting character but sadly the plotline about his Mum is left wide open, as his is possible romance with Kevin.

The other characters are all fairly minimal, with the various Destiny’s Children being the most built up, although not very exciting. No real complaints though, as the four man TARDIS crew own the show. Verdigris himself is a bit of a let-down as well, although it’s all tied up reasonably well at the end, I feel he was underused as a threat.

Verdigris is the Magrs book for people who don't like Paul Magrs. It’s not a serious book, it’s light-hearted, fun and a joy to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars KEEP TAKING THE PILLS, 25 Mar 2000
This review is from: Doctor Who: Verdigris (Mass Market Paperback)
This is far and away the wackiest Dr Who novel ever printed-a cracking read that will make all Who fans laugh. If you don't love this you're probably dead. Possibly best of all is the revelation of where UNIT are throughout the story..... A treat for all fans of Iris Wildthyme, this is a must read. Buy it!

2.0 out of 5 stars doctor who meets the tomorrow people, 21 July 2006
Paul Tapner (poole dorset england) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Doctor Who: Verdigris (Mass Market Paperback)
Like the tv show the tomorrow people, this aspires to be a fantastical science fiction odyssey.

And like the tv show the tomorrow people, this instead comes out as a dull and tacky runaround.

Nice ideas. But they just don't work out on the printed page

Doctor Who: Verdigris
Doctor Who: Verdigris by Paul Magrs (Mass Market Paperback - 3 April 2000)
Used & New from: £1.35