Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on 16 January 2014
Yay another novel by David McIntee and this time an Eighth Doctor one. I make no qualms about my love for McIntee, with his previous three Past Doctor Novels being entertaining reads. I adore the Eighth Doctor and I enjoy a novel set during World War 2 so I was hoping this would be one of the best.

Autumn Mist finds the TARDIS forcing it's crew to land in war torn Germany in 1944 and they quickly get separated. The Doctor joins one American troop and Sam another whilst Fitz has no choice but to join the SS As usual strange things are afoot, with bodies from various sides disappearing with no explanation, a mist which seems to cause time anomalies and both sides working with technology they couldn't possibly have had.

Almost from the word go Autumn Mist is a very bleak novel. World War 2 was very violent and bloody and McIntee wastes no time in bringing this fact home, with graphic descriptions of people being shot, killed, and blown up. Rather than feeling decadent, it fits the mood nicely.

The Doctor is well done given it's McIntee's first foray into the Eighth's era. To begin with he seems to be relying on the green velvet jacket and long curly hair but he soon finds his feet, delivering a good likeness of Paul McGann's Doctor. Fitz really gets into trouble when he is forced to join the SS and his characterization is exceptional. Sam has a rough time of it, but she didn't annoy me as much as she usually does.

The other human characters are all spot on. Obviously you have the Americans and the Germans fighting the war, so we see into the minds of both sides and there hopes and fears for the future and thoughts of loved ones back home. The "third side" however are all a bit flat, even the "bad guy", who never really seems a threat.

Autumn Mist is a an excellent novel. It may be my bias towards McIntee and the World War 2 era but I thoroughly enjoyed almost every page. The horrors of war are really made clear, whilst at the same time still delivering a sci-fi fix. Top stuff and highly recommended.
on 5 April 2008
This was a short, well written and enjoyable novel. For me this feels like a quiet adventure before the storm of Interference. In this novel very little really happened and so it is reminiscent of the episode before the season finale of Doctor Who. I also found that at times it was quite hard to keep track of all the characters. These things aside it was an easy read and I had to smile when the beast from The Taint made an appearance. All in all this was a novel I enjoyed and that I would recommend for a quick read as it comes in at about forty pages less than most of the previous books.
on 4 October 2000
This novel places the Doctor in the kind of situation we all know and love - alien intervention at a key point in Earth history. The beauty of these stories is that they have a cosy familiarity about them. The protagonists are easy to identify with, and their motivations are similar to our own. Add to this the rich depth of McIntee's research, and you have an absorbing adventure, which educates as well as entertains. Long live the Pseudo-historical Dr Who adventure!
on 17 January 2015
book condition was very good. dont want to ruin the story for anyone who hasnt read it but they need to have read unnatural history first as there are some references to that story although it isnt essential.