5.0 out of 5 stars My new favourite cookbook
As a lifelong vegetarian I've stopped buying cookbooks as they tend to be a bit samey. However this was given to me recently as a gift and I'm finding it totally inspirational and loving being back in the kitchen.

It's got some really useful nutritional information that I was previously unaware of, loads of interesting suggestions for upping your intake of...
Published on 5 Feb 2007 by Mrs. E. A. Smillie

3.0 out of 5 stars Not strictly GI
As someone who has been a vegetarian for many years, but lapses occasionally and eats a little fish, the recipes are ok but not particularly inspiring. Also I am aggrieved there are no GI values to the meals she has produced which would be good. She does not really follow the low GI diet with a number of recipes, using sugar and potatoes too easily. If only she had...
Published on 14 Dec 2011 by B. Ellis

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful and straight-forward recipes, 14 Feb 2012
This review is from: Low-GI Vegetarian Cookbook (Paperback)
I'm not a vegetarian but felt that I wanted to reduce the amount of meat in my diet, alongside trying to regulate my energy levels during the day - so a veggie low GI cookbook seemed the best option. There are a few on the market so it's hard to decide but I had heard of Rose Elliot so thought this would be a good one to plump for. I've made about 9 of the recipes so far over the past few weeks. They are mostly straightforward enough to prepare after work without taking hours, and are very healthy. Sometimes the portions seem a little small but they are surprisingly tasty so I feel very pleased with the book. I think it will become one of my stalwarts! The egg fu yong was a hit in my house.. Definitely recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars low GI vegetarian cookbook, 7 Dec 2011
This review is from: Low-GI Vegetarian Cookbook (Paperback)
I bought this book as it combined something I have to do for health reasons (low GI diet) with something I choose (being a vegetarian) and Rose Elliot. Overall it ticks those boxes and I am looking forward to cooking the recipes - she has pulled together some really interesting combinations in one book which will save me time spent googling for ideas. Like other reviewers, I was surprised to see pasta and potatoes in the recipes (so I knocked off a star), but it becomes clearer when you see there has been a change in title. This wasn't designed as a strictly low GI book - perhaps it should have been reprinted under its original title with a subtitle "Low GI vegetarian cookbook".
For the reviewer who said the recipes were bland - if Madhur Jaffery would be more to your taste, thats grand, but I don't think this book aims at ethnic/spicy, so its a bit of an unfair comparison.
I'm buying this book for 2 of my friends - not so much for the low-GI tag but because its a step in that direction, and I think they'll love the recipes. Can't have a higher recommendation than that!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 25 Mar 2014
Alexandra Rodrigues (Portugal) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Low-GI Vegetarian Cookbook (Paperback)
Very good recips with interesting tips. Useful to loose weight with a balanced diet and with all the nutrients that our body needs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Full of Ideas, 1 April 2013
This review is from: Low-GI Vegetarian Cookbook (Paperback)
Wish I'd had this book years ago! Great recipes which anyone can follow, all full of flavour and not too expensive or with exotic ingredients that you can't source. I feel better and I've lost weight!

4.0 out of 5 stars Low-GI Vegetarian Cookbook, 30 Dec 2012
This review is from: Low-GI Vegetarian Cookbook (Paperback)
As usual with Rose Elliot, the Low-GI Vegetarian Cookbook is well written, informative and full of tasty recipes. Mushroom Pate En Croute made a fab Xmas lunch.

4.0 out of 5 stars Low GI Cookbook, 27 April 2012
This review is from: Low-GI Vegetarian Cookbook (Paperback)
Great book and good recipes - easily explained - recommend it to everyone! I much enjoyed cooking from the book though have to say the quantity of ingredients is very generous!

5.0 out of 5 stars Vegetarian and GI, 19 Sep 2011
This review is from: Low-GI Vegetarian Cookbook (Paperback)
There are many books on the market on GI cooking but this is one of the best. The recipes are very easy to follow and make good sense. Highly recommended for anyone who is interested in a no-nonsense approach to GI cooking.

1.0 out of 5 stars Bland offerings, 11 Jan 2009
Low-GI Vegetarian Cookbook
I put this book on my wishlist due to the enthusiastic reviews. We however have found the four meals that we've tried rather bland. After the first two were boring and not worth the effort we tried two with coriander, cumin, ginger and garlic and still found them lacking in taste - I don't know why - maybe the quantities of these ingredients aren't sufficient. Also Rose Elliot has a fondness for adding raw garlic just before serving - which my husband can't abide. I'm hoping for better from the Madhur Jaffray veggie book I was bought.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 22 Sep 2014
This review is from: Low-GI Vegetarian Cookbook (Paperback)
fantastic book but should be called Cookery Book, not Cook book as it is about cookery not cooks

5.0 out of 5 stars low-GI Vegetarian Cookbook, 25 Feb 2009
Ms. Pm Cross (Devon) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Low-GI Vegetarian Cookbook (Paperback)
As a seasoned vegetarian or vegan I wellcome this book which really explains which foods are low GI and then there are plenty of recipes to use or adapt to suit either persuasion

Low-GI Vegetarian Cookbook
Low-GI Vegetarian Cookbook by Rose Elliot (Paperback - 4 Jan 2007)