5.0 out of 5 stars Delia's Bible - Indispensable
As a bloke who hasn't got any of the other Delia books but quite like her on the telly i thought this would be useful addition to the other Jamies, Nigellas and Wagamama books on the Kitchen Shelf.

I didnt realise quite how essential it would become - its now 'first choice' every time i turn to the kitchen shelf for advice on an old fave or want to try...
Published on 4 Mar. 2009 by Perfidious Albion

3.0 out of 5 stars ok cookery book
I am a Delia fan. I haver a lot of her books and I felt this one wasn't her best. It is quite heavy which I don't like and the recipes don't seem to be sorted very logically. Photo's are nice. I much prefer her complete illustrated cookery course. I would give that 5 stars
Published 20 months ago by Crystal

‹ Previous | 1 2 312 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Dinner time is a pleasure, not a chore, 11 Jun. 2011
This review is from: Delia's Complete How To Cook: Both a guide for beginners and a tried & tested recipe collection for life (Hardcover)
I love this book. The instructions are clear, well written and well explained. Each chapter section explains the science behind the food/core ingredient cooking and therefore one can adapt the recipe according to taste. These explanations help the user understand why and how the food is cooked in a particular fashion. Simple but clever. It's like school home economics all over again but without the soggy macaroni and very cross nun trying to teach it.

The only negative feedback I have is that the index is quite muddled. For example, "Mexican Enchilladas with cheese" is under M in Mexican, not under enchilladas. Whereas the "Chinese stir fried rice" is a subsection under R in Rice. A little frustrating when we first got the book trying to find the recipe we had looked up a few days previous. But now we're used to the book it's not a problem.

All the instructions seem to be written for a gas oven rather than an electric oven, so watch your cooking times.

Delia mentions her preference for some brands, although certain brands are not specified. Am not sure why the equipment brands are not mentioned directly in the book - a quick google search brings them up anyway.

My (new) husband could barely tell where the boiling water goes in the pot noodle. He now jokes whether Delia would need a catering assistant. It really is that straightforward. And I am delighted and thankful that his repertoire has extended beyond carbonara.

This is by far and away the best cook book I've ever come across. The ingredients are various staples that just about anyone has in their larder. If you raid the spice/herb rack in the supermarket you won't go wrong. Very very few recipes (if any) have a pinch of something that you'll never use again.

Would highly recommend this book to anyone with even a vague interest in learning to cook. I love it. It really is fun and she does explain the more difficult bits very very well.

This would be great as a video book as well.

Have already bought two further copies as part of wedding gifts.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 11 April 2009
Damaskcat (UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
I like Delia for basic common sense cooking. There is a lot of basic stuff in here that isn't easy to find anywhere else - such as how to poach an egg or make perfect jacket potatoes. There is also valuable information about different types of fruit and veg and the best way to cook them

This is a brilliant book just for browsing as well and the photographs are marvellous - you can almost taste and smell the food. The presentation of all the recipes is unfussy and simple. I really hate cookery books which show photographs of finished dishes with delicate drizzles of sauce round an artistically arranged heap of meat and vegetables.

With this book you know you will be able to reproduce what's in the photograph even if you've never used the recipe before. I know I'm going to get lots of enjoyment and marvellous meals out of this book. If I have a reservation it is its sheer size - which is large and heavy. I'm also not sure how long the binding will stand up to constant handling - but then cookery books in daily use are meant to look a little worn!

5.0 out of 5 stars Delia's How to Cook- a must have, 16 May 2009
I won this book in a contest and has joined my collection of Delia's other books, Nigellas, the odd Jamie, James Martin, Ainsley and other tomes that I dip into from time to time.

I consider myself to be a competent cook but reading this has made me realise that I didn't know some of the fundamentals that came with cooking. The book is clear, easy to read complete with pictures that help you see how it is supposed to be done.

My husband & I have tried several recipes from the book and true to form- they do work.

I reocmmend this book to all food lovers and cooks be they beginner or expert.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delia's clear and mouthwatering guide, 22 April 2009
Mr. John F. Shaw (Cambridgeshire U K) - See all my reviews
Delia's complete how to cook lives up to its title.Here we have a combination of all her cookery books and does an excellent job of showing how to cook both with the beginner and the experienced.Every aspect of cookery is explained clearly and the recipes are set out so that the most nervous and inexperienced can manage them.This is a cookery book invaluable to the beginner and the experienced.Delia has triumphed yet again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 27 Feb. 2011
Excellent comprehensive set of books but buy all three separately rather than the huge 3 in 1 edition. The binding simply cannot support the book. Ours was already damaged/collapsed on arrival and therefore returned. Now we have three individual books which, of course, are easier to handle in te kitchen.

5.0 out of 5 stars delia's complete how to cook, 23 April 2009
This is Delia's best book yet it is a book for all grades of cooks to use.

4.0 out of 5 stars How to cook, 17 Oct. 2009
Frances Brogden (UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this for my daughter who is not a cook, I am not a great fan of Delia but I was very impressed with this book,it does exactly as the title says! I would thoroughly recommend this for people wanting to learn, the layout is odd but understandable the photos really helpful, yes, definately a goody.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delia's Complete How to Cook, 4 April 2009
Mrs. Wendy Clark (England) - See all my reviews
Just what you expect from Delia. Nice to have it all in one book - although it is rather heavy.

5.0 out of 5 stars COOKERY FOR THE MALE MIND, 28 Feb. 2010
Mr. Peter E. Harrison "Churcillian" (Shetland Islands) - See all my reviews
For a bachelor, young or old, who has no help in the kitchen then Delia's Complete How to Cook is an absolutely basic essential. I sometimes read it in bed. I had an earlier softback version for many years but it got a bit battered. This hardback edition is so precous to me that I keep it in my study and refer to it, with clean fingers, as required which is frequently. Everything is explained in simple language from boiling an egg to producing a meal for a dinner party. Best results are achieved by a little bit of private practice. This book is all you need to become a perfect host. Worth every penny and will last forever.

5.0 out of 5 stars My new bible, 18 Jan. 2010
I'm no culinary angel but I can whip up a meal with relative ease. However, I felt like I could do with a really good book of basics. There are still moments when I'm not sure of the time difference between a soft boiled and a medium boiled egg. At least I don't have a to ring my mother anymore and then suffer her pearls of wisdom for 30 minutes as she informs me on how to make the perfect egg...by which point, I'm too hungry to be bothered and end up grabbing some cereal instead!!
A great book which I know I will be referring to in years to come. I have only had it for 2 days and already done 3 recipes from it. Much more than a recipe book.

‹ Previous | 1 2 312 | Next ›