5.0 out of 5 stars Delia's Bible - Indispensable
As a bloke who hasn't got any of the other Delia books but quite like her on the telly i thought this would be useful addition to the other Jamies, Nigellas and Wagamama books on the Kitchen Shelf.

Published on 4 Mar 2009 by Perfidious Albion

3.0 out of 5 stars ok cookery book
I am a Delia fan. I haver a lot of her books and I felt this one wasn't her best. It is quite heavy which I don't like and the recipes don't seem to be sorted very logically. Photo's are nice. I much prefer her complete illustrated cookery course. I would give that 5 stars
Published 19 months ago by Crystal

5.0 out of 5 stars Delia's Bible - Indispensable, 4 Mar 2009
This review is from: Delia's Complete How To Cook: Both a guide for beginners and a tried & tested recipe collection for life (Hardcover)

I didnt realise quite how essential it would become - its now 'first choice' every time i turn to the kitchen shelf for advice on an old fave or want to try something new to impress my other half.

It feels like that trusted DIY manual you keep going back to time and again either just to dip into (like that nice boiled egg on the cover) or to study in detail - whether its a meal that youve done before and need a refresher or want to give it a bit of a twist; or if its something youve never cooked before and you want the guiding hand of someone who knows what theyre doing (and can explain exactly what to do in the real world!) to stop it all going horribly wrong.

Its like Delia's Bible - and you can't say fairer than that. Essential for any kitchen shelf and highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars An invaluable cookbook, 28 Mar 2009
M. Aldrich (UK) - See all my reviews
As a bloke who enjoys cooking but has missed out on ( or can't remember) the basics this book is great. It starts at the beginning and builds your confidence with inspirational recipes throughout. The quality of the recipes are spot on with clear directions and colour photos. As an in depth resource at this price it is invaluable. Thoroughly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars best comprehensive cookbook ever, 14 April 2009
Maj (Surrey, UK) - See all my reviews
I have a collection of many cookbooks but Delia's Complete How to Cook Guide is by far the best. I love the illustrations, I really like to know how the recipes should look. The tips and information pages are really helpful too. All the recipes I have tried have all turned out brilliantly. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Every home should own a copy of Delia Smith's How To Cook, 12 Oct 2009
When I first started cooking using recipe books many years ago, Delia Smith had just released her How to Cook books, which were fantastic. What I really like about the Delia books is that every recipe is accompanied with a photograph of what the finished dish looks like. This is great as you can find something you like the look of and get cooking.

The instructions are clear, concise and easy to follow and I have never cooked anything yet that does not resemble the photograph. Even though I would now consider myself to be a more advanced cook, I still go back to the Delia books for simple, tasty and mouth watering recipes.

Strong buildings are always built on good foundations and that is exactly what these books provide.

5.0 out of 5 stars An absolute must-have,, 4 July 2009
T. Allan (UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this book because I am, and always have been, a fan of Delia Smith, however I honestly thought it would be more of a coffee table book rather than a well used cook book. Well I was completely wrong! My copy of this book is covered in stains with pages stuck together with unspeakable gunk, in short it doesn't leave my kitchen! I have cooked so many recipes from it and there are a lovely mixture of old Delia favourites and new dishes to explore. As always the recipes are reliable as long as you follow Delia's instructions and apply common sense. I can highly recommend the recipe for simple white bread, it's soft and delicious, better than anything I have had out of a bread machine and is perfect for sandwiches and makes excellent toast. Also, even though I am a competent cook, Delia's instructions for cooking eggs were an absolute revelation to me, I can now cook perfect poached or boiled eggs every single time and without stress or worry!

5.0 out of 5 stars A "must have", 30 April 2009
D. Spink (West Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
This book is a "must have" whatever your standard of skills in the kitchen from beginner to seasoned cook/chef, it is guarenteed to teach you something or give you ideas to improve. It would make a great gift for students on their way to uni too!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for beginners and experienced cooks, 15 April 2009
S. Sanderson "Sarah" (Colchester, Essex) - See all my reviews
I bought this for my sister who is a fairly new cook. She loves it and I have to say that I have asked for a copy for my birthday too! It includes the basics and lots of recipes to tempt even the most experienced cooks - a great buy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Delialicous, 8 April 2009
D. Owen (cheshire england) - See all my reviews
Absolutely love this book as its something I can dip into for easy, no fuss lunches, fabulous dinner party recipes and its a great reference book as well.
I couldn't imagine not having a Delia Smith cookbook in the house, in fact I have them all, but this weighty tome is indispensable if you want to know how to really cook. It is a recipe collection for life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delia does it again, 2 July 2009
Cmjscothern (Nottingham) - See all my reviews
The idea of buying this book was to give it to the young woman next door who kept asking me how to cook various dishes.

But when I read it and saw it had all those recipes that feature in supplements that you mean to cut out and save, but then forget and throw them away. So I kept it and bought her a duvet set instead.

I have just made the gooseberry flan which was delicious and very popular. Gooseberries have such a short season but this is a recipe worth keeping in mind for when it comes around again.

This is the only recipe book you will ever need.

5.0 out of 5 stars Back to basics!, 26 May 2009
S. Buttifant (Norwich, UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this book to take me back to basics and help me find out all of those little tricks I'm missing. I was an ok cook before, but this book has helped me iron out a few little wrinkles in my talents. My pastry is now tastier, I can cook perfect scrambled eggs without drying them out and have make my own bread for the first time (dead easy!). Just knowing what things are worth having in the cupboard (and which are a waste of time) is a help. I have a lovely kitchen at home and it's finally getting the use it deserves!