5.0 out of 5 stars Near Perfect.
Published on 14 May 2009 by Stewart M

3.0 out of 5 stars Why miss bits out?
Published on 7 Sep 2011 by R. Leslie

5.0 out of 5 stars Near Perfect., 14 May 2009
Stewart M (Victoria, Australia) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Winnie-the-Pooh (BBC Radio Collection) (Audio CD)
The voice of Alan Bennett and the words of AA Milne make a perfect combination. The control of accent is wonderful, from the crazed energy of Piglet through to the world weary ways of Eeyore and then to Pooh - dependable, silly old Pooh. This recording contains some of the classic stories of Pooh and his friends - Pooh wedged into Rabbits burrow, with his feet used as a clothes horse, Piglet and the Heffalump and the two classic stories of Eeyore - his lost tail and his birthday.
The stories may not be rich in current content, but they are none the less stunning in the childlike wonder they contain. Whatever you do, I think you should either listen to these recordings or read the book itself.
Pooh may have been born in a world that has passed on - Wellington boots, toy guns and a language aimed higher rather than lower - but this is still as close to gold as children's stories ever come.

3.0 out of 5 stars Why miss bits out?, 7 Sep 2011
R. Leslie (Hampshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Winnie-the-Pooh (BBC Radio Collection) (Audio CD)
Alan Bennett does a reasonable job of reading this but it has been curiously abridged. We were listening to the story where Eeyore loses his tail and Winnie-the-Pooh goes to Owl for advice and were waiting for the sneeze bit ("First, issue a reward....") but it never came. I wonder which other bits were left out? It's not as if the stories are very long to start with. All in all, we preferred the version by Stephen Fry, Judy Dench, Jane Horrocks et al.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 14 May 2010
A Kid's Review
This review is from: Winnie-the-Pooh (BBC Radio Collection) (Audio CD)
4yo, 7yo and forty something parents loved this. The voices, the music, the stories are all fantsastic. Just the thing for abb long car journey or even a wet afternoon at home!

Only one complaint -- why do the BBC do such poor track listings and put them where you can't see them wthout taking the paper out of the CD case?

5.0 out of 5 stars A Perfect Audio Book for the Whole Family, 14 Jan 2012
E. Purton "EllenMP" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Winnie-the-Pooh (BBC Radio Collection) (Audio CD)
This CD and it's companion, The House at Pooh Corner, are our favourite audiobooks to listen to in the car. My husband and I enjoy them as much as our sons, aged 10, 8 and 4. Alan Bennett does an amazing job reading them -- I hear all sorts of humour and nuance that I miss when I read them aloud myself. His voice is perfect, his technique flawless and his feeling for the subtleties and humour in Milne's language really bring the colours out of the text. Completely enjoyable from start to finish, for kids from 2 to 102. I hear my 8 year old muttering "Was it a hearty joke, or was it the merest accident?" all the time...

I prefer a narration to a dramatisation - I find the changes in speaker distracting and less book-like. I listen to a lot of grownup audiobooks when I exercise and have become quite picky about narrators. These two cd's are among the best I have heard; Bennett changes his voice just enough for each character to make them distinctive and real without interrupting the flow of the text. Brilliant. (Just for the record, the other top narrator is, of course, Stephen Fry -- if you have older children and haven't heard his Harry Potter books, give them a try too!)

2.0 out of 5 stars Reading speed unsuitable, 5 Feb 2010
This review is from: Winnie-the-Pooh (BBC Radio Collection) (Audio CD)
I bought this CD for my son (4 yrs), to complement a different version of 'Winnie the Pooh', of which we only had a tape, making it unsuitable for listening in the car.

My son hated the newly-bought version by Alan Bennett and kept asking to listen to the 'old' version. I must say, I see his point:
Bennett, while admittedly possessing a fine reading voice, races through the text in a way that made it hard to keep up, let alone follow. A real let-down after the wonderful rendering we were used to from our previous version.

Call me old-fashioned, but I think that reading to children should be done at a reasonably leisurely pace, making it easy for them to identify words and their pronounciation (which they are learning to imitate). My son's own (and independent!) opinion backs me up.

We have thus returned to our 'old' version, while the other one rots away unheard and unloved on the shelf.

I can therefore not recommend this particular version, at least not for small children. Time will tell if my son will be more accepting of Bennett's reading at a future date.

For those interested: We love Bernard Cribbins' reading of 'All the Pooh Stories: Complete & Unabridged' by Cover to Cover Cassettes Ltd. The set includes both books (Winnie the Pooh and The House at Pooh Corner'). Unfortunately, still only available on tape.

5.0 out of 5 stars A little something... to make you smile :), 4 April 2010
L. Weston - See all my reviews
This review is from: Winnie-the-Pooh (BBC Radio Collection) (Audio CD)
I loved the Winnie-the-Pooh stories as a child. They're just so charming!

As an adult, they are just as enchanting!

I wanted something different to listen to on my iPod and this is the best thing! I listen to it on my journey to and from work and it makes me smile so much!

For anyone who loves Pooh Bear or anyone who loves a funny story, this is for you and read by Alan Bennett (once you get over his Australian accent for Kanga and Roo!) what could be better?!

And at this price?!

Recommended for anyone between the ages of 0-120!

5.0 out of 5 stars This suited my budget and my requirement, 31 July 2013
This review is from: Winnie-the-Pooh (BBC Radio Collection) (Audio CD)
The price was good. The book was entirely appropriate for the purpose for which it was intended. Again, I giftd this to a friend's grandchild to the delight of her mother. I have recommended Amazon to them.

5.0 out of 5 stars like it, 25 July 2013
This review is from: Winnie-the-Pooh (BBC Radio Collection) (Audio CD)
This is a lovely audio CD that my toddler likes to listen to as he goes for his nap. No bad points

4.0 out of 5 stars Depends if you like WtP, 24 Feb 2013
This review is from: Winnie-the-Pooh (BBC Radio Collection) (Audio CD)
Our grandaughter loves her story CDs but for some reason she hasnt taken to Winnie the Pooh. Maybe its because she wasnt familiar with the stories before she listened to the CD. Or they're too old for her? She's just 4.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic, 8 Feb 2012
RA Morgan (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Winnie-the-Pooh (BBC Radio Collection) (Audio CD)
Classic stories brilliantly told by Alan Bennett, what more can I say. Keeps us all entertained on long car journeys.

Winnie-the-Pooh (BBC Radio Collection)
Winnie-the-Pooh (BBC Radio Collection) by A. A. Milne (Audio CD - 5 Aug 2002)
Used & New from: £5.95