5.0 out of 5 stars Not the originals, but just as funny
Published on 1 Feb. 2002

2.0 out of 5 stars Liquidised Gold
I bought this CD thinking I'd listen to it once and grimace through the whole thing. I didn't. I only grimaced through 3 minutes of it, before ejecting it out onto the street.
Published on 12 May 2004 by Mr. R. Brown

5.0 out of 5 stars Not the originals, but just as funny, 1 Feb. 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Goon Again [AUDIOBOOK] (Audio CD)
This "New Goon" was recorded to co-incide with the 50th anniversary of the Goon Show. It stars Andrew Secombe, doing a startlingly good impression of his father, alongside Jon Glover and Jeffrey Holland, who don't do particularly good impersonations of the Spike Milligan- and Peter Sellars-voiced characters, but still give wonderful readings of the script. All in all, I was delighted with the CD. Although not the real Goons, these three, along with the announcer and musicians (some of whom are also "son of... ") are all entertaining performers, and I for one would welcome more such shows. My only gripe, and it is a small one, is this: The intention of the show was apparently to give new life to the old scripts, the BBC not having kept many of the earliest recordings. However, one of the two exhumed series 3 scripts, "The Story of the Plymouth Hoe Armada", was itself re-worked into the series 7 episode "Personal Narrative", which, although not yet released on CD by the BBC, is still broadcast occasionally on the radio. This meant that I had heard quite a bit of the script before, performed by the original Secombe, Sellars and Milligan. This didn't detract from the quality of the recording, but I was a bit disappointed that this new recording wasn't quite as new as it could have been.

4.0 out of 5 stars Goons Redux, 17 Sept. 2003
Peter J Tolan (Pasadena, California USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Goon Again [AUDIOBOOK] (Audio CD)
I made this purchase with trepidation, but the CD is actually quite wonderful. Obviously there are only three (or four at the start) real Goons, but these performers carry off the Goon voices very well for the most part. Jeffrey Holland's Henry Crun is the only voice that's off enough as to grate on the ear. Andrew Secombe anchors the whole enterprise because he sounds so much like his father. The music sounds great, and technically the recording is excellent. And it's Milligan's words (with some judicious updating here and there) so how far wrong can you go? I bought this CD thinking I'd listen to it once and grimace through the whole thing, but it's playing again right now as I write this and I'm laughing. Well done!

2.0 out of 5 stars Liquidised Gold, 12 May 2004
Mr. R. Brown "rbrown" (uk) - See all my reviews

Goon Again [AUDIOBOOK]
Goon Again [AUDIOBOOK] by Larry Stephens (Audio CD - 5 Nov. 2001)