4.0 out of 5 stars Does exactly what it says on the tin
This book is one of a series of "foolproof" cookery guides, and it reads like it. Nice pictures and instructions making great classic French recipes fairly easy to follow. But at times it feels a little like it has been written to spec.
Published on 25 Mar 2004 by Mr. D. N. Sumption

Published 13 months ago by J. Dryburgh

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy this unless it's the only RBlanc you will ever have, 5 July 2013
J. Dryburgh "Amazonitis" (Fife, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Foolproof French Cookery (Hardcover)
I thought I was in need of a French cookbook as I didn't have any in my collection, so I opted to buy a couple (ended up being 3) of Raymond Blanc's books as they got good reviews and he is quite popular on TV. As usual I go for the 'Used - Like New' category and bought 3 from 3 different marketplace sellers. (Before I go any further, I put the blame for this entirely on ME and NOT the sellers).

I bought this one (Hardback) as well as 'Simple French Cookery' (Paperback) and '100 recipes for entertaining'. I decided to check how many of the recipes in this book were also in the '100 recipes' book and to my (mild) surprise, EVERY SINGLE ONE was - word for word. So, then I decided to check how many of the 'Simple French..' recipes were in the '100 Recipes' book and lo and behold, it was the same - EVERY SINGLE ONE, word for word. However, I didn't even have to check the recipe listing to find this out as it turns out that 'Foolproof French Recipes' and 'Simple French Cookery' are, wait for it... EXACTLY THE SAME BOOKS, page for page, word for word, photo for photo - identical in every way except the covers.

It turns out (after reading inside the paperback one) that the BBC changed the name of the book when it was released in paperback.

DOH!! More fool me for buying 3 books :-) Oh well, at least they were all second hand and now I can donate the Foolproof and Simple ones to a local charity and keep the 100 Recipes one - as that is all I need now.

4.0 out of 5 stars Does exactly what it says on the tin, 25 Mar 2004
Mr. D. N. Sumption (Sheffield, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Foolproof French Cookery (Hardcover)
The cookbooks that inspire me, that I constantly refer back to, are ones which have an indefinable passion to them. Although it's obvious from this book that Raymond Blanc loves his food, it feels a little like he's writing the book just because he's been contracted to, not because he has an uncontrollable urge to teach the world about great cooking.
The description above probably sounds a little over-negative. There is nothing inherently wrong with this book, it just doesn't set me on fire. It would probably be best to say that it does exactly what it says on the cover, and little more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb introduction to classic french cookery, 20 Nov 2002
Languagelover (Manchester, England) - See all my reviews
This book is superb!
Why do I like it so much? The recipes are not earth-shatttering, you've probably tried most of the stuff included many times before but it is the approach that is excellent and the tips on where things could go wrong.
Each receipe is broken down into easy to manage steps with pictures, the narrative helps explain how to handle each stage. This is great for a novice cook such as myself.
I also find that because Raymond Blanc has avoided the temptation to overfil the book with recipes I don't find it intimidating. It's a book that I have come back to time and again for inspiration.
This book has given me a grounding in classic recipes that I know I will be using for years to come, whilst most of the recipes are designed to be straightforward (let's face it they wouldn't be foolproof otherwise)the sheer qualilty of the end result will attract more advanced cooks.
This book has become one of my three favourite cookbooks (the other two being Nigella Lawson's How to Eat and Annie Bell and John Pawson's Living and Eating).
I hope that you will enjoy it as much as I have.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely, 28 Feb 2013
This review is from: Foolproof French Cookery (Hardcover)
I bought this book for my husband who yearns after a Raymond Blanc book he once saw and didn't buy...no and this wasn't it either. That said he loves this book and says the content is great.

4.0 out of 5 stars Some Really Excellent Recipes, 31 May 2014
Richard Newbold (Leicestershire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Foolproof French Cookery (Hardcover)
Charity shop purcahse, and as a previous reviewer says, watch the titles of R Blanc books, there are a lot of retreads around. Quite honestly, I think RB's tarte tatin and watercress soup make it into every book and TV series he makes - with justification they are ace. If you have to buy just one of the voluble Frenchman's canon, this is a pretty good one for the middling to adventurous cook. The recipes are anglicised to some extent, ingredients being staples at any reasonably well stocked English supermarket. What he does with lamb neck fillet, calves liver and custard (not all in the same recipe!) is really scrummy, and easy to do yourself.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good recipes, 2 Feb 2014
This review is from: Foolproof French Cookery (Hardcover)
We were very pleased with the range of recipes and the ease with which we were able to follow themvery

5.0 out of 5 stars Raymond Blanc's Foolproof French Cookery, 30 Oct 2013
This review is from: Foolproof French Cookery (Hardcover)
A friend recommended this book, which more than lived up to expectations. It is intended as a Christmas present and
should be very well received, to say the least, since the person it goes to collects superior cookery books and this
more than fits the bill.

4.0 out of 5 stars I really like this book, if it had more recipes I would have given it five stars, 11 Feb 2013
This review is from: Foolproof French Cookery (Hardcover)
Blanc's passion for food comes out on every page. The recipes are delicious and like my title says if there were more recipes I would have give it five stars.

Generally, I find, that when you suggest ideas like Coq au vin for dinner people tend to shrug apathetically maybe thinking that it wont be that special or perhaps thinking of the awful supermarket versions. These recipes are a million miles from pedestrian. If you want to see why these recipes are classics buy this book, absolutely drop dead delicious and simplicity itself.

Blanc has a deep understanding of food and how to get the very best from it and I am proud to own this book in my collection and use it often.

You will have no complaints from the dinner table following any one of these recipes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delicious intro to French cooking, 19 Nov 2011
This review is from: Foolproof French Cookery (Hardcover)
This is a great book and provides some really easy to follow delicious recipes to help you get your teeth in to French cooking. Raymond's mum features throughout the book as he describes his inspiration for the cook he is today. Calfs liver, beef in redwine and the stuffed tomatoe recipes are all a must and really good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tasty, simple, French home cooking!, 8 Mar 2011
D. McMahon (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Foolproof French Cookery (Hardcover)
You can't go wrong with this book if you can find it. It's not trying to be pretentious or technically difficult but if you want some tasty recipes without much hassle then this book is highly recommended. It's got some great brasserie style recipes and the Duck Confit is amazing. If you are looking to get into French home cooking then there is no better place to start. Sometimes less is more!

Foolproof French Cookery
Foolproof French Cookery by Raymond Blanc (Hardcover - 12 Sep 2002)
Used & New from: 0.01