4.0 out of 5 stars Definitely not complete, but very good, 15 Feb 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: The Complete Sophie Grigson Cookbook (Paperback)
The title is a bit of a misnomer, as this book doesn't unclude any recipes from Grigson's most recent cookery books. I'd been hoping for some of the dishes from Sunshine Food and Herbs, but this book only includes recipes from Eat Your Greens, Travels a la Carte, Meat Course and Taste of the Times. That said, it's actually a very wide-ranging and useful cookbook.
The recipes vary from traditional British favourites such as Cottage Pie to exotic dishes from the Middle East. Grigson spent holidays in France as a child, so she also includes some favourite home-style French recipes. If you like Italian, Mexican or Thai food, you'll also find examples of those cuisines. And unlike many cookery books, this one features a wide selection of meat-free options. All of the recipes are straightforward and relatively simple to make, with limited numbers of ingredients. Grigson also includes helpful tips about ingredients and cooking methods, and encourages the reader to experiment.
This is the kind of cookery book that I will use both for everyday cooking and for parties. I like its international flavour, as well as the fact that the recipes have stood the test of time and still hold up well. I recommend it to anyone who enjoys good food but doesn't want to spend all day cooking.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Have Cookery Book, 7 Jan 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: The Complete Sophie Grigson Cookbook (Paperback)
This book should be on every kitchen shelf. It's no nonsence approach to the recipes which are easy to follow is excellent. The only downside is the lack of pictures, although it probably wouldn't be crammed with so many mouthwatering recipes if pages were given over to photos. The little introduction to each recipe telling the reader where it originated from and ideas for substituting ingredients make it all the more interesting.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good book covering both basics and dishes out of the ordinary, 20 Feb 2013
This review is from: The Complete Sophie Grigson Cookbook (Paperback)
I eventually ordered this book (it is now out of print) as a friend has it and I was forever asking where she had found certain recipes and it was often out of this book. Yes, it covers basics and which may not be necessary for some as we all have our 'tried and tested' favourites but there are many unexplored delights and frankly it makes a pleasant change from the run of tv celebrity chefs who appear to compete against each other for the most OTT dish which nobody in a domestic kitchen could ever hope to compete with even of they could obtain the ingredients! No pictures but then neither do radios, we all have imaginations. I am delighted I now have a copy.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Old Favourite, 23 May 2014
This review is from: The Complete Sophie Grigson Cookbook (Paperback)
I have used this cookery book since it was first published and many of the recipes are family favourites. I used to cook regularly from the column that Sophie Grigson wrote in the Evening Standard and saw some of her TV programmes, so when this book came out which purported to be a selection of all her best recipes it was an obvious choice. My son in law is a keen cook and when I found a used copy available through Amazon at the princely price of 1p, I snapped it up for him and added all my own notes on bright yellow post it sheets on each recipe that I had done myself. That's what I call a bargain.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 13 Nov 2014
Michael David Treacy (Lewes, East Sussex United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Thnak you

The Complete Sophie Grigson Cookbook
The Complete Sophie Grigson Cookbook by Sophie Grigson (Paperback - 6 Sep 2001)
Used & New from: £0.01