4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, easy listening
First off, I have to admit I found the studio production of this CD a little dated - but then, you have to consider when it was recorded.
But get past the rather naff production and you have a genuinely entertaining and enjoyable delivery. The compilation faces 2 challenges - it's never going to live up to your imagination when you read the book and it can't match...
Published on 2 Mar 2004 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but it left me a little dissappointed
Published on 16 April 2008 by Mr. G. J. Pugh

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but it left me a little dissappointed, 16 April 2008
Mr. G. J. Pugh "pugler" (Wales) - See all my reviews
I've long been a fan of J R R Tolkien, ever since picking this book up when I was in primary school. The book of 'The Hobbit' is a delight for both adults and children, not as serious or epic as its sequel 'The Lord of the Rings', it's a much more compact and flows at a quicker pace. I have looked long and hard for a dramatised version and knowing the BBCs reputation for such things I eagerly bought this adaptation.
Well I have to say that its good, but at the same time it disappoints also! And on more than one level.
I find that the most annoying thing is the casting, Bilbo is perfectly cast, Paul Daneman does a superb job in the title role, as does John Justin as Thorin and Anthony Jackson as the Tale Bearer, but others such as Balin, the Elves, the spiders and not least the goblins, just don't sound right, the spiders sound like Daleks!! But the worst offender is the choice of Heron Carvic as Gandalf, not that the actor doesn't do a good job, it's just his voice! It doesn't carry enough power to convince as the all knowing wizard, he comes across like some sort of patronising old pensioner!
Another annoying thing is the pronunciation of some of the names, perhaps it's me, perhaps I have got it wrong, but I have never heard 'Gandalf' pronuced in such a silly way before or after!! Also I'm sure that its Thorin and not Torin, and Smaug is not Smuag!
Hey perhaps it's just me! You do get used to it after a while but it does take a little of the shine off the whole thing!

Other than those points, it's a fairly good adaptation! It sticks nicely to the book although it does thin out a few of the key encounters, the most notable for me being the cutting out of some of the riddles when Bilbo encounters Gollum, or Goluuum as they like to pronounce it here, which is one of the key parts of the book!

Do I recommend it? Well I'm not sure, it's not terrible but it's far from brilliant either, I'm old enough to remember the excellent, though now unavailable, Jackanory version with Bernard Cribbins in the lead role, supported by some other notable actors. I know that wasn't a full dramatised version, but it was head and shoulders above this version. I also recommend the audio version as read by Martin Shaw over this. I've also heard that the Rob Inglis version is excellent as well.

To be honest I'd go for them above this!

Perhaps as it's now 40 years since this adaptation it's time that the BBC re-commissioned it!!

4.0 out of 5 stars tolkein, 29 Nov 2013
This review is from: The Hobbit: BBC Radio Full-cast Dramatisation (BBC Radio Collection) (Audio CD)
wanted this for a while now and finally got it. thanks. maybe I shall get more later on. who knows

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent way to enjoy a phenomenal story, 17 Oct 2013
I first received this as a birthday present when I was 8 years old on tape and wore it out very quickly because it was nothing short of epic. I had already read the book at School and to this day it remains one of my favourites.

If you are looking to get your child interested in the works of J.R.R Tolkien or they are already a fan then I would highly recommend you buy them this as it will keep them engrossed for hours. This is not an audio book this is a full on radio play that involves some of our finest actors from yester year most of which have sadly passed on. It's production is excellent and the sound effects and atmosphere really inspire those that have the imagination almost provoking a movie like experience.

I highly recommend this and the Lord of the rings version for all ages.

4.0 out of 5 stars The age of the recording shows, albeit wonderful, 1 Oct 2013
as the above, really... some of the voices sound incredibly stilted, probably because we're used to the Hobbit film version - Gandalf in particular - doesn't come off well, but the story still stands as huge fun - it's well worth the money

5.0 out of 5 stars A great adaptation, 3 Aug 2012
Anyone expecting something similar to the BBC's dramatisation of The Lord Of The Rings will be a bit disappointed, but this is not a criticism because exactly the same can be said of the books themselves. The Hobbit is an entirely different book and it is recreated wonderfully in this adaptation.

I'm a big fan of the BBC's version of The Lord Of The Rings, and now, having got used to the very different style, have become a big fan of The Hobbit as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Hobbit CD, 18 Jan 2011
I bought this for my 11 year old daughter for Christmas '10. All i can say is that she loves it and is constantly listening to it. It was immediately loaded onto her ipod and is with her wherever she goes!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent entertainment, 16 Jan 2011
I first heard Tolkein on the radio my years ago, was pleased to buy this for the family to pass along the gift.

1.0 out of 5 stars We hates it, we hates it forever!, 17 July 2010
Generally speaking, if you see an audio book with 'BBC' on the cover, you know you're in good hands, however this particular adaptation is a departure from that rule. The actors sound like they've just been kicked from the set from an early Robin Hood film for hamming it up too much, (verily say I). The music (a horrible medieval medley of toots and squawks) at times drowns out the story, making it a real effort to listen to, not ideal for when you're curled up and unwinding.
The BBC Lord of the Rings audio CDs are of a vastly higher quality but adapted/played by an entirely different crew/cast: there was a nice adaptation of The Hobbit released ~about~ the same time, but - THIS IS NOT IT!

1.0 out of 5 stars Awfully confusing and disappointing, 9 Oct 2009
Roy White (UK) - See all my reviews
I was given this as a present, and I and my sister were terribly disappointed. The BBC's Lord of the Rings is SUPERB !!! This is a mess... I have all Harry Potter by Stephen Fry, superb ! Also Philip Pullman's Dark Materials, excellent, and countless other audiobooks and radio dramatisations, and this is the WORST. I recommend Nicol Williamson's reading of the Hobbit, which at the moment is sadly not available... but if you look around you can find it. Williamson brings the characters to life and is magical.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 19 Jan 2013
This is good, but it was not what I was looking for. I eventually found that what I wanted was the Nicol Williamson version.

The Hobbit: BBC Radio Full-cast Dramatisation (BBC Radio Collection)
26.34