on 10 July 2012
the interpretation of each poem is fine but why do they have to act? it is my opinion that a poem should be read by possibly experienced readers - and this is the case here - sitting at a table without external interruptions, music or noises of any type, for me there are too many noises and they spoil the reading and interpretation of the poems.
with the risk of repeating myself maybe I am old fashioned but I love poems to be read in absolute silence by - if possible - experienced reader who can convey feeling and have high interpretation skills but here even if the readers are great 99 times out of 100
there are noises on the background, so one understands the poem is also acted and personally I would not have agreed to poems being read like this.
some of them have also been modernized and in some cases it spoils the poem itself in my opinion
for example on CD 1 the sonet 129 - if I remember correctly - by
Shakespeare, one hears a lady leaving a message on someone's voice mail, but to be fair in Shakespeare's time there were not telephones or voice mail so in my opinion that gives a touch of unrealism to the poem spoiling the genuinity and authenticity.
I am not contesting the choice of the poems but some of these poems were already published in the BBC collection the nation's favourite love poems sadly not available on CD.
it is also my opinion that sometimes one enjoys the poems better without knowing the history behind it
especially the ones one can relate to. but if one knows the history and the history behind those poems is too different from one's own then one might not like it or does not relate to it anymore with the result of not enjoying the poem anymore in certain cases. the poem love filosophy is an example
I would recommend buying the nation's favourite love poems instead, you get more poems even though you also have music at the beginning and the end but even so it is a great audio book, better than this one in my opinion.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
on 15 April 2010
This is a must have for every poetry lover and NON poetry lover. As Daisy says "I defy anyone not to find something that will strike a cord."
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again