Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Oasis Learn more Shop Men's Shop Women's Listen with Prime

on 3 October 2006
This cookbook is one of the most useful I own. Its recipes are simple, easy to follow and the meals are delicious. Both myself and my partner work full time and have been able to have 'real food' when we get in rather than sticking a ready meal in the microwave. Lots of the recipes only take up to half an hour and you don't need a lot of fancy ingredients. I've found that I can get everything I want from a large supermarket (I haven't got the time or the money to go to six different shops to find exotic ingredients). The whole range of books are good but this is till my favourite. Also it has pictures of all the dishes, which means I can see if I've gone wrong! I'm not a great cook but I manage these recipes and can have a nice homecooked meal.
0Comment|602 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 March 2006
Well I'm not sure if you are like me...single, busy, a pet to walk, work to do and a hundred other tasks to occupy so little available time?! But apparently I'm just the person that this book has been written for! I believe these BBC good cooking guide books have been around for a while. Though for some reason I havent happend upon them until now. Im the kind of person that 'thinks' he likes to cook great meals. I have bought loads of cookery books, Delia , Jamie Wotsits and the rest of the motley crew. But when you open those up and look at the ingredients list and some of the fancy techniques dictated...no way hose'! This little book is different. Sensible meals, ingredients that you can actually buy in the supermarket and basic cooking techniques that even I can handle! Very easy to use...to the point instructions and some lovely pics to show you exactly how your masterpiece will really look when you have finished the cooking...ermmmm well possibly! No, seriously, these books are really good and I may now get the whole series. A couple of quid a go..you cant go wrong.! Good luck!
0Comment|382 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 March 2006
This is one of the most useful cookbooks I have. The recipes are easy, mostly quick, and don't cost a fortune because they use the kind of ingredients that most folk have in their cupboards. Even the most inexperienced (and badly equipped) cook should be able to manage things in this book. Best of all, it cost not much more than a magazine!
0Comment|262 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 October 2007
I really like this book - we originally got it for my OH has he only felt comfortable making one-pots and this book managed to get him cooking!

As a bit more of a competent cook, I use it loads too: it has a section on soups (moroccan chickpea is v good), then chicken and meat (e.g. chicken stuffed with goats cheese and baked on on cherry toms with white wine), fish (best one I've tried is speedy salmon and leeks - literally 20 mins in microwave), vegetarian, cooking for a crowd (there are some great buffet recipes in here, e.g. a fab chilli, goulash, chicken curries) and puddings, although I've yet to try any of those. It's also good for taking camping / self-catering - doesn't take up much room!

The majority of recipes are reasonably low in calories, use easy to source ingredients and don't take much time to prepare. Highly recommended.
0Comment|91 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 February 2009
If you're not keen on spending a great deal of time in the kitchen but love good food, try this book. The soups are especially tasty and so easy to make. My favourite is smoked haddock chowder - a meal in itself. I'm steadily making my way through the book and have not been disappointed yet. The recipes are simple and the ingredients are easily sourced at your local supermarket. If you are already a cook you'll probably have most of the dry ingredients in your kitchen cupboard already.

This book is also a good place to start if you're just learning to cook as the instructions are clear and simple to follow. I'm sure you will be pleased with the results too. Bon appetite!
VINE VOICEon 28 August 2008
This is a super little book, containing a wealth of interesting and tasty recipes, all of which require the use of a single pot. They range from quick simple dishes such as Speedy Salmon and Leeks to more elaborate creations suitable for serving at dinner parties. We've tried lots of recipes from this book and have been pleased with the results of them all; the instructions are easy to follow, the ingredients are all easily available and the results are super. Many of the recipes are quick to prepare and cook, making it an ideal collection for day-to-day cooking after work, with the added bonus of limited washing up! Particular favourites include Broccoli Lemon Chicken, Pork with Apples and the aforementioned Speedy Salmon and Leeks.
on 30 March 2008
I own a lot of cookbooks but I cud have saved myself the money and just got this one because it is definitly the most used! Lots of tasty recipes, good photos with an ingredients list Ive actually heard of! A must!
on 8 January 2009
I'm a decent and practised cook, I promise - I've tried a couple of recipes in this book, and I'm seriously disappointed. I also have a sneaking suspicion that the photographs do not accurately represent what you get if you follow the recipes to the letter. For example - the sausage hash recipe tells you to fry thinly sliced raw leeks and thinly sliced raw potatoes in the same pan, for the same length of time. How, exactly, is a spud supposed to cook in the same time as a sliver of leek, however thin the slice might be? Though the photograph promises a beautifully browned and crispy chunk of potato . . something's up. The chicken thighs were OK - but why are they gloriously orange in the photo, when the recipe tells you only to put paprika on the wedges, rather than on the chicken itself? And why do you need to put so much oil on the wedges when they're soaking up all the fat from the rendering chicken skin? And how can you possibly get a crispy skin in such a short cooking time, without searing it as well?

As I say, disappointing. I really wouldn't bother - it won't turn out as expected.
22 comments|141 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 14 January 2009
This book is awful, don't bother.
It's such a cheat that it's called One pot dishes when you may only use one pot in your kitchen, but to do this, you need to buy lot's of ready made products, like ready made Mashed potato's etc.

There are actually hardly any meals that you can cook, from scratch, with simply the raw ingredients and one pot. As mentioned it calls for pre-made, probably higher fat content supermarket components. And with this economic climate, and national levels of obesity the idea of buying and using those ready made products for honest, hearty one pot meals seems a little contradictory.

Save your money, get recipes of the internet or invest in more than one cook book.
1414 comments|315 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 14 February 2009
I have cooked many recipies in this book, and have found it to be good value, but it isn't neccessarily what I expected; the recipies are not all for casserole style dishes, and some of them are not that great. I expected a lot more slow cooking style recipies, however it has a lot of different styles of recipie in one place and it is a small size and didn't cost me lots of money so all in all, I'd recommend this book, but don't expect all the recipies to be suitable for cast iron casserole pots.