Format: Paperback|Change

on 13 September 2002
...This is a great book full of fantastic recipes that follow the logic if the food's fresh, why complicate it?
This is the kind of food I like to cook for friends at a mid week dinner party, when time can be tight at the end of the working day - simple, quick, elegant, yet still looks great on the plate and, as Gary would say, it 'eats well'. I speak as someone who also owns all of Gordon Ramsays' books, (including his own ode to the seasons which also follows the fresh and simple philosophy) so I know I'm not afraid of a more complicated recipe when it comes along: I'll leave Passion for Flavour for when I've got all day to cook. Who said every dish you make has to warrant a Michelin star in it's own right?!
I was also thrilled by the amount of fish recipes - we are after all an island nation and eating a more diverse range of fish, such as whiting and guernard, would give the poor old cod a bit of a break and a chance of long term survival, not to mention the obvious benefits to the nations health. I applaud the work of the likes of Gary Rhodes and Rick Stein for their efforts in this direction and their celebration of the best of British.
Yes - a few more photos of the end product would be nice, it's always good to see what you are aiming for, but don't let that put you off an otherwise fab book. If you want delicious, fresh food in reasonably quick time this is a great book to have under your belt. I can't help feeling those who have said it is overly simple have missed the point here - let the ingredients do the talking and stop showing off!
Good work Gary. It's a great book and I have already pre-ordered your Autumn/Winter volume!
on 29 January 2005
As a fish lover I was so pleased to receive this wonderful book as a present. The recipes are not a simple as some reviewers have suggested, but then my culinery experience is modest, however the text is clear and encouraging and I have enjoyed both the cooking and tracking down some of the ingredients
So you may have to do a little searching but this shouldn't put you off as you will be rewarded: try the seductive Pot-roasted lamb with sorrel and samphire and you'll never assault your senses with mint sauce again.
I think that the reason this book works so well lies not only with the enthusiasm and expertise of it's author, but also with his belief that using seasonal products gives you the best possible start to any recipe.
Overall this is an inspirational book with great recipes presented in an attractive format. I heartily recommend this book and hope that you get the pleasure from it that I have.
on 25 February 2002
What a lovely book, a joy to look at - getting back to seasonal cooking with Gary Rhodes leading the way, mouth watering descriptions of ingredients, clear and concise directions with variations for those hard to find items. Lemon Peppered lamb with baked potato cake, steamed skate with runner beans chanterelles and sweet red pepper dressing......I can't wait to get cooking.
on 9 April 2002
The book both successfully encompasses simple cooking with the best ingredients available, as well as putting across Gary's obvious enthusiasm for the subject.
The simple recipes and ingredients that you are bound to have at hand ensure its influenece in everyday cooking - not just another recipe book resigned to the shelf until you are feeling adventurous at the weekend or are entertaining to impress.
on 29 April 2014
Good recipes and excellent layout. A good addition to the cook's library. Easy to follow and attractively illustrated. It comes highly recommended from me.
on 5 March 2002
This book was a disappointment. The recipes were too simple, fish with tomatoes, fish with beans, fish with potato, come on Gary, we all know how to cook the simple stuff, what I wanted were some mouth-watering recipes, what I got was boring back to basics (except for the desserts, they were the one saving grace!).
on 5 March 2015
good recipes good chef good condition
on 11 May 2002
This book is very good, despite the lack of photography. About 3/4 of the book is made up of fish recipes, which is disappointing. However, the soft chocolate pudding recipe is absolutely to die for! Overall, I wouldn't really recommend you buy this.
on 16 August 2004
This book was a big disapointment,It contains way to many fish dishes.I like all of his other books but this one is abit of a let down