5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning book
Every home should have one. The pictures are incredible - just like watching the series but you get to pore over every detail in your own time. I bought it as a Christmas present but I would love to keep a copy of it for myself. Just beautiful - and what a fantastic price!
Published on 5 Dec 2006 by J. Bartlett

3.0 out of 5 stars Bit disappointing
This book isn't actually by David Attenborough - who writes a foreword of less than a page! (edited to add: I see Amazon have changed the author's name since I wrote the review).

I was a bit disappointed, overall - the ratio of text to pictures is quite high, and I thought many of the photos were not particularly great. The book has a bit of a "cheap"...
Published on 21 Dec 2006 by Sue Whitehead

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning book, 5 Dec 2006
J. Bartlett "jb" (Birmingham, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Planet Earth: As You've Never Seen It Before (Hardcover)

5.0 out of 5 stars A Revealing Look at Extreme Conditions and Their Effects on Life, 15 Jan 2008
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Planet Earth: As You've Never Seen It Before (Hardcover)
Planet Earth would make a great present for a young person who is interested in the natural world. It opens up views from the microscopic level up to the perspectives from the moon that unveil the Earth and its animals and plants in new ways. It's almost as though you have just arrived on a spaceship to an unknown world. Most of the book will seem unfamiliar to you.

Where many books about the natural world are filled with seeming hyperbole ("you can see this feature from space"), Planet Earth does its best to display the basis for those references by making the statement and showing the photographic evidence. As a result, this book makes a serious impression on the range of challenging environments on Earth, the reasons for each challenge, and examples of how animals and plants have successfully adapted to those challenges. Darwin would be envious that you can see more in one book than he could in a lifetime of study.

If you didn't see the television series or the DVD, here's the structure:

Whole Earth (overview of how the various regions differ and why)
Frozen Poles (the Arctic and the Antarctic and why they differ)
Great Forests (huge bands of trees in temperate climes)
Great Plains (the semi-arid regions)
Grand Sands (extended deserts both hot and cold)
Mountain Heights (the highest peaks and their environments)
Underworld (caves)
Fresh Water (lakes and rivers)
Rainforests (tropical jungles)
Shallow Seas (Coral-inhabited areas)
Open Ocean Depths (the bulk of the seas)

Each section contains information about the geology, physics, and chemistry of the region's character and origins. A number of stories about the plants and animals that inhabit the areas are included. The section also displays some of the most magnificent views. The book is generously illustrated with the text being less than half of the pages printed.

The book's main drawback is that the photographs are often not reproduced very well. As a result, views may be muddy, indistinct, and hard to interpret. Take a few extra seconds and stare closely, and you'll usually see something remarkable. The book was obviously edited to provide the most unusual views, even where reproduction would suffer some. I think the decisions were usually pretty wise.

I cannot emphasize enough how fascinating I found the book. By taking me to so many places I will never see (restricted caves, unusual mountainsides, rare tropical locales, and Antarctica), I was able to extend my understanding of life on Earth in important new ways. I'm sure I'll be integrating the views for years to come.

I especially commend the sections about the whole Earth, Antarctica, untouched forests, limitless deserts, and caves as showing me new dimensions of why wilderness is important to us. Ansel Adams would have liked to see and photograph these sites.

Take a good look!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great to see the series again...in the book, 31 Oct 2007
Larry Smith (London, NW3 United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Planet Earth: As You've Never Seen It Before (Hardcover)
I used this to nurture my son's interest...and get him focused on his A'level geography, great buy, even more so as the price has come down since it was originally published

5.0 out of 5 stars a treasure., 14 July 2014
Superb photography and very interesting text. A book to treasure.

5.0 out of 5 stars BBC - Planet Earth by Alastair Fothergill, 3 April 2014
This review is from: Planet Earth: As You've Never Seen It Before (Hardcover)
Like any BBC series of books, this one has a wealth of information and plenty of lovely pictures to support the interesting text. It is better to read this book first before watching its video which makes it very vivid. Bundled with 312 pages of knowledge and information about our Planet Earth - The Only One that sustains life!!??

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful product!, 4 Mar 2014
This review is from: Planet Earth: As You've Never Seen It Before (Hardcover)
I always like the BBC animal or planet programme. The quality of the paper and the pictures are always excellent!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 6 Feb 2014
S. mcneill "monkeyboy" (scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Planet Earth: As You've Never Seen It Before (Hardcover)
I've got the book frozen planet and thought this would be great to go beside it. I wasn't wrong. Great insight into making a great documentary series and lots of nice photos as well

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 18 Dec 2013
This review is from: Planet Earth: As You've Never Seen It Before (Hardcover)
I bought this for my hubby as he likes watching the planet earths & I thought he would appreciate reading about it too he loved it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Planet Earth Really good book, 3 Nov 2013
A friend of mine had a copy of this book and I borrowed it. I couldn't put it down so bought a copy for myself. I have enjoyed the series but enjoy dipping in and out of the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Attenborough is a legend, 23 Feb 2011
This review is from: Planet Earth: As You've Never Seen It Before (Hardcover)
It doesn't matter what he does, whether it be books or documentaries, he never fails to please. As with Planet earth in Picture.I originally bought this for my fiance, however we both read it. This is also ideal for a younger person. My Neice does enjoy looking at this when she visits. I would definitly recommend it to anyone of any ages. :-) A***

Planet Earth: As You've Never Seen It Before
Planet Earth: As You've Never Seen It Before by Alastair Fothergill (Hardcover - 5 Oct 2006)
Used & New from: 0.01