Format: Paperback|Change

on 26 December 2006
Mary Berrys cook books are great.This one is a good book but I would recommend buying Ultimate cake book by Mary Berry instead.Nearly every single recepie was duplicated. This book has much less in it and Ultimate is far better with the same and many more cake recepies.I would say buy that one instead-it is a much bigger and better book on cakes.
0Comment|129 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 July 2009
simple, easy, effective, producing the most delicious selection of cakes. I am slowly working my way through the book!!!
on 25 November 2007
I've only made two cakes from the book so far but, they both turned out scrummy. Lovely pictures and clear instructions. There is a great section which explains cake tin dimensions and gives basic baking instructions. I can't wait to make more cakes from this book!
VINE VOICEon 3 December 2009
Simple Cakes really does live up to its name. I am a hopeless cook/baker/candlestick maker and even I can manage the recipes in this book!

Nicely set out, easy to understand (not full of mumbo jumbo technical cookery words) and lovely photographs make it really easy to follow the recipes and create some fantastic cakes. The chocolate brownies are a favourite and they are so easy - just get the ingredients, mix them together and then put them in the oven, that is pretty much it! They taste so good too. My friends even asked for extra and were not scared as they usually are for fear of food poisoning!!

I think it is a good book for all ages, could get the kids interested in the kitchen and also good for incompetent chefs like myself!
on 29 April 2009
This book is really easy to follow.I already have most of the ingredients that are used throughout the book in the store cupboard,even my children can follow the recipes with ease. I have not made all the cakes yet but look forward to trying.Simple Cakes
on 6 June 2009
A lovely book if you want to learn to bake some great cakes. Every recipe I have tried has worked first time. I think this book is better than the larger version, as Mary Berry has selected a nice range of her easier baking recipes for people who want great results without a lot of previous cooking experience. The lemon tray bake is my favourite!
on 15 August 2014
As usual, another fantastic cookbook from Mary Berry. The recipes are gorgeous and easy to follow. The reason for the negative rating is this book is a reprint of her other book 'Foolproof Cakes' from 2004 which I have, so now have two books with identical content. There is a small sentence on the inside of 'Simple Cakes' otherwise there is no other indication in the description. So disappointed it's not new recipes!
on 1 September 2011
I've baked four of the cakes so far and they've all turned out well. The recipes are really easy to follow. I would recommend this book to anyone new to baking.
on 20 November 2012
I'm a bit of a Mary Berry groupie, and since the Great British Bake Off have been inspired to improve my cake making and this book fits the bill. I've been baking for years and have various cookery books, and at first I thought this would be a bit too simple. Of course not, it's fabulous, and I'm busy baking my way through it black treacle and ginger cake, fabulous scone recipe the best I've tried and I've tried dozens, and Mary's victoria sponge is amazing. they all work, and although it's not doing my waist line much good, I'm enjoying every minute. Warmly recommend this book.
on 10 December 2006
I have to say the truth is in the title simple (but wonderful) cakes we tried the lemon drizzle cake and it was amazing the ginger cake was even better if you like your cakes but don't have much time like me to do baking then this is the book for you