on 13 May 2004
Anyone who has purchased a cookery book knows that they are unlikely to make every recipe contained in it. However, with this one there is such a wealth of knowledge, tradition and perhaps most importantly culinary passion that any home cook worth their 'maldon salt' will make most of them. And if it still doesn't inspire you and you can only muster the enthusiasm to make one recipe then make it the lemon tart on page 170 it's brilliant!
on 28 August 2006
Instructions are simple and the results are brilliant everytime. Having had a number of successes from trying the recipes in the book, I also started to watch his series Heroes:Another Helping on TV. Made me want to get the book out and try more.
on 1 October 2002
This is an excellent addition to anyone's collection of cookbooks. It has a good selection of recipes and makes the most of real food. The book is backed up with a helpful directory of food producers and outlets. Whilst Rick Stein is undoubtably associated with fish, this book shows an enthusiasm for other food as well and a desire to support quality food producers. This book deserves to be read and its support for British food is most welcome.
on 21 October 2002
I couldn't help but buy this book having watched it being televised on BBC 2 and being amazed at how much research Rick had done towards it. Food Heroes is a wonderful book, with lots of exciting recipes, fabulous pictures and it is great that we have seen Rick do recipes which contain more than just fish which we normally associate with him!
Rick comes across as being extremely passionate about buying fresh and good quality produce from across England and highlighting those businesses which many of us have never heard of.
I have made the Mascarpone Ice Cream with Blueberry Compote which was delicious and have also cooked the Sea Bass with Stir-Fried Vegetables which has the most amazing flavours running through it!
I just wanted to thank him for making my Thursday evening's more interesting, I so look forward to 8.00pm!
on 24 March 2003
This book is great - great recipes of course, but also a really useful list of suppliers. My favourite though is the section at the back of recipes for accompaniments to serve with the main dishes. It's so nice to have a bit of help working out what the perfect foil to your hard work should be!
on 14 September 2002
A good cookbook with most enjoyable recipes. Good for Rick Stein for promoting quality british food and showing what real food tastes like. The directory of suppliers is included and this is an excellent reference source. Highly recommended and I hope more people support these food producers.
on 12 June 2012
I love this cookbook and it's predecessor Food Heroes. I could tell you a dozen dishes that I regularly use from the two books but in all honesty I couldn't tell you which of them they come from - I am constantly having to look through both well-thumbed editions before I find the recipe I want. They are also the most lent-out books from my cupboard when friends ask me how I made their dinner. Like with all of Mr Stein's offerings the recipes are easy to follow, informative in terms of ingredients and technique and absolutely delicious to eat. I have bought (and loved) his other books too, I would have written this review against more-or-less any of his titles but noticed that this one is lacking in numbers - just because it is a follow up believe me it is no less of a delight.
on 9 March 2009
...it'll go down a storm. What a fantastic book not only to cook from, but to read.
on 5 July 2010
This book is inspiring - good recipes, beautifully written and illustrated. This copy was bought for a very low price second-hand in almost new condition. Recommended.
on 3 February 2014
Saw this on my sisters cookery shelf and decided to try and get a copy bought it off the secondhand books and it was in good condition as it was described by the sellers and a really good addition to my cookery books