on 29 October 2008
Such a great little book! There are a lot of recipes for a very decent price here, and they work!No entertaining anecdote to introduce the recipes, true, but then there are quite a lot of books which do that elsewhere, I personally find the format of the book as well as the number of great recipes presented quite handy as I can take it with me when I go away. Well worth buying if you enjoy baking.
on 10 December 2013
This little book is divided conveniently into sections for 1) Large cakes, 2) Fresh Fruit Cakes, 3) Chocolate Cakes and Bakes, 4) Loaf Cakes, 5) Small Cakes and Tray Bakes and 6) Muffins and Cookies. So it is not what you need if you are seeking cupcake recipes. Recipes are given both in imperial and metric measurements and oven temperatures are given for both basic oven and fan oven. I have tried out several recipes, including Choc Crunchies (very easy and delicious), Anzac Biscuits, Feel-good Muffins,Chocolate Cinnamon Crumb Squares, Toffee Brownies and Lemon & Violet Drizzle Cake (easy to make and tangy). They have all turned out well. This is a very useful book, especially for beginners to baking. There are photographs for each recipe.
on 13 February 2011
A friend gave me this little book as a present and I absolutely love it. I have read A LOT of baking books but this is always the one I rely on (I may even have to buy another one as mine is getting rather worn!). The instructions are clear and everything turns out exactly as it says. I have made lots of cakes from it, my favourites were:

Lemon Polenta Cake - a bit different from your ususal sponge cake.

Raspberry and Almond Madeira Cake - scrummy and looks good too!

Prune and Chocolate Torte - Impressive but easy to make.

Choc Crunchies - A biscuity treat that requires no baking..a brilliant recipe made from store cupboard essentials.

Toffee Brownies - I haven't used another brownie recipe since discovering this one..you must try it!

Mincemeat and Marzipan Teabread - Seriously tasty and good for using up leftover mincemeat.

Lemon and Violet Drizzle Cake - The LIGHTEST cake ever..it's like air. I received so many compliments when I made this and took it to work, lots of people wanted the recipe..I had to tell them about this book!

Oaty Cherry Cookies - Vey easy to make and extremely yummy (if you manage to get them into the oven..the cookie dough is tasty too!) I substituted the cherries for sultanas and added mixed spice, I think they're delicious.

It is such good value for money considering the fact that EVERY recipe turns out perfectly. A must for any keen or novice baker!
on 15 June 2008
this is a fab little book. i work in a small coffee shop and bake cakes to sell there, my customers love the St Lucia banana cake and i often have to bake 2 a week to keep them happy.its rich without the heavyness of a fruit cake, scrummy.
What a great little book. The recipes are easy to follow and well laid out. The results are excellent and very yummy. Have tried several of the recipes so far and all turn out just right. Small enough to store in the cupboard by the baking ingredients. Advisable for anyone interested in baking cakes and deserts.
on 6 September 2008
I just started baking recently and brought this book after reading most of the reviews and I am glad that I did. I have tried a few receipes and the results have been amazing. My family have flipped through the book and left tags on certain pages of the cakes that they wish for me to bake for dessert time.
on 22 January 2014
I have owned this book for many years and have baked most of the recipes at one time or another.
The recipes are always a success, with clear instructions, good pictures and best of all nutritional information for each portion.
I can highly recommend this lovely little book.
on 17 July 2012
I am an absolute novice in Baking and have never baked a cake except once. The only thing I tried before I bought this book was a Basic Sponge cake, which came out okay. I am not too sure about how long my newfound love and enthusiasm for Baking would last, so I wasn't keen on splurging money on a cook book and wanted a rather basic book (after all, you can find all sorts of recipes online these days)! Once again, Amazon reviews have come out trumps as they were the reason I chose this book. And am I glad! I have already baked Coconut Cake, Carrot Cake, Shortbread and neither of these lasted more than 2 days! All this coming from someone who has baked a cake only once in my life before.. Absolutely recommended.

The book itself is compact, and easy to handle while in the kitchen. The format is simple, and neatly laid out with the recipe on one side and the accompanying photo on the other. The book is split into sections like Large cakes, Loaf Cakes, Muffins, Cookies, Flapjacks etc. The range of recipes is impressive and all of the recipes look achievable and not overwhelming. I am really looking forward to making some muffins this weekend. :)
on 8 January 2009
This book may be little but what it lacks in size it makes up in DELICIOUSNESS.This book is clear, concise,easy to follow ,a brilliant book for novice and seasoned bakers.The recipes I have baked so far have gone down a storm ,so yummy! and they look like the picture.My daughter was so impressed that she bought her own copy.Oh well" bang goes another diet",maybe next year. Happy Baking New Year to all proud owners of this smashing little book.
on 2 August 2008
I absolutely love this little book! I've had it for a while and it has been a very good companion to me. Whenever i feel the need to bake, out it comes! There much to choose from, such as healthy muffins to the more indulgent cakes and cookies, as well as that it caters for kids and adults alike. I still haven't managed to get through all the recipes, but I haven't found a bad one yet. For lovers of baking, i promise it's a must buy!