5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Bakes
Fantastic little book which you'll actually use, not just leave sitting on your shelf hoping it'll look impressive! I received my copy on Christmas Day, it's now 3 days later and I've already cooked my first cake (Banana & Walnut Loaf) with a recipe from this book. I'll happily admit that I'm not a 'domestic goddess' but the instructions are so clear, the pictures are...
Published on 28 Dec 2004 by Tamryn

3.0 out of 5 stars Good value: very cheap, some nice recipes
I picked up this little book for less than 3 on a special offer, and it's usually less than 4. It's nicely produced (maybe the type is a bit small) with each double-page spread having a recipe and the corresponding picture.

I've tried quite a few recipes now (parkin, raisin spice cake, dark chocolate cake, chewy flapjack) and will probably continue to try a...
Published on 12 Aug 2010 by Cal Cakestall

‹ Previous | 1 2 319 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant little book, 27 Jun 2007
This review is from: Good Food: 101 Cakes & Bakes: Tried and tested Recipes (Paperback)
I bought this little book for my son - age 10 at the time. He is always wanting to bake and this is a brilliant book. Easy instructions which he can follow himself, recipes that work, the results look like the glossy picture and taste wonderful. I have to fight to get access to my kitchen at the weekend! His favourites - coconut cake, lemon polenta cake and triple chocolate chunk muffins.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent little book, 4 Jan 2007
R. H. Aspey "hazel" (uk) - See all my reviews
this is a gorgeous little book, brimming full of generally simple baking recipes. If you are new to the joy of cake baking this is a perfect starter book. I love it!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars An outstanding gem of a book- a firm favourite., 8 Jan 2010
sam155 (Wales) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I had this book for Christmas and have already read it, used it and planned my next three cakes. The recipes are easy and simple. There is a very large variety of recipes to suit every need and mood from easy cookies to tea cakes, muffins, traybakes, flapjacks, cereal bars, and fairy cakes. Refreshingly, there is no celebrity chef writing long lifestyle invoking intros and commentaried, its just "here's what you need, here's what you do and there's the photo of what you should get".

There is one dish per page and a photo for every recipe. I personally don't like it when a recipe has no photo, but that's just me and its not the case here. So far I have tried the chocolate cinnamon crumble cake and the Spotted Dog tea bread. Both were excellent. This is now my favourite cookbook and by far the cheapest. I haven't got a bad word to say about it except that all these delicious recipes are going to make me and my family put on weight if I can't curb my enthusiasm!

5.0 out of 5 stars NOVICE BAKER, 12 July 2009
Mrs. S. J. Parker (gb) - See all my reviews
I brought this book for my husband who fancied trying his arm at a spot of baking. 6 months on he has tried x30 of the recipes with only a couple of disappointments, which we put down to inexperience rather than the books fault! Our favourites, including our 8 year old daughters, have been the chocamocha, nutella, fresh cherry cake, cappucino bars, but the best ever, in the world, is the seriously rich chocolate cake, warm out of the oven! Highly recommended, fantastic little book, all easy to follow with pictures, especially needed for the novice.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great results from a variety of recipes, 23 Jun 2009
Mrs. H. J. Chatfield "doheye" (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
I wanted a book which delivered good recipes for cakes and biscuits. That is, I wanted lots of compliments on my baking for not much effort! This book delivers exactly that, don't be put off by the boring looking cover though! I bake lots of cakes for charity and friends and found lots of these recipes suitable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Small Wonder Indeed!, 10 May 2009
Abdulla M. Al Qasim (Bahrain) - See all my reviews
When I first got this, I thought "Is that it?" I really felt scammed... but the price made me feel a bit better knowing it didn't cost me a fortune!

Upon reading the book from cover to cover, I thought "boy was I wrong about this little book!" It's absolutely a marvelous book with many great recipes for cakes, cookies, muffins, the whole lot! Especially delicious for tea time!

I have already memorized some of the recipes like the chocolate chip cookies and the cinnamon nutella cake!! Yum yum... I'm getting a hankering just thinking of them right now! I think I'll pop into the kitchen right now and whip up a batch of those cookies right now!

A must have on your shelf for bakery books!

5.0 out of 5 stars good things come in little packages!, 8 Dec 2008
C. o'neill - See all my reviews
I have baked a number of the recipes in this book and all have worked perfectly (to my surprise as i am not a natural baker). The book has been carefully thought through and well organized, the recipes are easy to follow and the pictures are tempting. One thing that pleased me was that most of the recipes use the same sized tins - so if you have 8inch sandwich tins and a small loaf tin then you are all set! This is a little gem of a book and a very worthy addition to my bookshelf - certainly the smallest and one of the cheapest I have bought, but one of the best!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Recipe Book!, 27 Feb 2010
I've tried about 15 recipes so far. They are delicious thanks to the quality recipes. The instructions are easy to follow. It provides a weight (measurement) conversion & temperatures table so you don't need to worry if you are use to cup or oz or Gas/Fan. It has great variety of cake recipes. Ever since I bought this book, I finally realise that you don't need to be a chef to bake a perfect delicious cake as long as you have good recipe.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic little book, 26 Jan 2010
A. J. Parkes "sekrapa" (Dudley, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
What a great little book. The recipes are easy to follow and well laid out. The results are excellent and very yummy. Have tried several of the recipes so far and all turn out just right. Small enough to store in the cupboard by the baking ingredients. Advisable for anyone interested in baking cakes and deserts.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cake Mad Baker, 5 Jan 2010
A. Mcmahon "Cake Bake Mum" (Letchworth) - See all my reviews
Hi I loved this handy little book, I have baked a number of cakes from it. The Coconut and Raspberry sponge has been a big hit and is highly recomended.

‹ Previous | 1 2 319 | Next ›

Good Food: 101 Cakes & Bakes: Tried and tested Recipes
Good Food: 101 Cakes & Bakes: Tried and tested Recipes by Mary Cadogan (Paperback - 15 July 2004)
3.99