Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop Black Friday Deals Week in Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Amazon Fire TV Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Paperwhite Listen in Prime Shop now Shop now

on 28 December 2004
Fantastic little book which you'll actually use, not just leave sitting on your shelf hoping it'll look impressive! I received my copy on Christmas Day, it's now 3 days later and I've already cooked my first cake (Banana & Walnut Loaf) with a recipe from this book. I'll happily admit that I'm not a 'domestic goddess' but the instructions are so clear, the pictures are so enticing that you'll be dusting down your apron and cleaning off your cake tins. The range of recipes is huge - choc cakes, fruit cakes, loaf cakes, muffins, cookies and every one looks gorgeous and seems achievable. Perfect for the cake connoisseur or budding baker.
on 8 October 2005
Yes I tried about 20 - 30 recipes in this book. It does comes out looking like the pictures and taste as good as it looks!! And now, I kind of make my own recipes but sticking within the lines of ingredients suggested in the book. Highly recommended if you want to do simple, straightforward bakery without the extra hassle and cost!
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Like all the other reviewers here, I think this book is just fantastic. In the past few months I have purchased an enormous amount of books to indulge my new baking hobby - none of them more worthy for a mention than this one. The book is great for the simple reason that the recipes WORK every time. The recipes are all simply laid out and instructions are very very easy to follow. I've baked quite a few cakes and cookies from the book and amazingly enough they have come out perfect and just like the picture!

The other great things about this book is that there is a huge variety in the type of things you can make - so many types of cake, cookies, brownies, muffins, flapjacks, tea bread, tortes etc! I've purchased a few books where it's basically just the same recipe appearing again and again with just a little variation here and there (here's one with fruit and here's one with chocolate) The 101 Cakes and bakes has so many different recipes there's bound to be something for everyone. There's even a breakdown of calorie and fat content which isn't available in most of the other books I've used.

I could rave about this book all day but I think you get the point - if you only buy one baking book, BUY THIS! :)
on 27 February 2008
I LOVE this book. I've made dozens of recipes from it and not once been disappointed with the outcome, and there are three or four that I go back to again and again. I would consider myself a fairly experienced baker, but this book is fantastic for beginners as well, as the simple instructions are very straight forward. I would highly recommend it to anyone who fancies developing their "domestic godess" skills, and it costs less than a fiver!!!
on 26 November 2006
I have most of the books in the '101' series, but this is my favourite. You don't need to be an expert baker to tackle the recipes - I'm certainly not - and a very basic understanding of the principles of baking should allow you to produce cakes that look just like those in the beautiful photos. The blackberry and apple loaf on page 118 is highly recommended.
on 12 August 2010
I picked up this little book for less than £3 on a special offer, and it's usually less than £4. It's nicely produced (maybe the type is a bit small) with each double-page spread having a recipe and the corresponding picture.

I've tried quite a few recipes now (parkin, raisin spice cake, dark chocolate cake, chewy flapjack) and will probably continue to try a few more.

Plus points:
- cheap
- nicely produced
- simple instructions
- mixture of old-fashioned favourites (flapjack) and more unusual ideas (St Lucia cake)

Minus points:
- recipes don't always work. Example: I've tried the dark chocolate cake twice and it came out dry and bitter each time
- descriptions aren't always consistent. For example, keeping time is important to me: sometimes it says what it is, sometimes it doesn't
- nothing to guide you as to which recipes are easier than others, or special equipment needed
- repetitive. There are several flapjack recipes that are very similar, and several recipes for that start with boiling an orange.

I'm not quite sure who this book is for. If you're a keen cake-baker, you'll probably have many of these recipes in other books. If you're a new baker, you might find that you hit one of the dodgier recipes first off. It seems to be aimed at the occasional but knowledgeable baker.

So I hesitated for a long time over whether to give it three or four stars. It seems unkind to a book that I keep trying recipes from to just give it three stars, but then four stars would seem to be quite an endorsement. In the end, I decided that I couldn't justify more than three.
on 20 June 2007
I adore this book. Yes, it may be small but it has so many fabulous recipes that you'll want to make again and again. I recommend the Triple Chocolate muffins and the Strwaberry Cheesecake ones - simply amazing! I love to bake and have many cook books, much to my partners dismay, yet this is the only book I return to time and time again. It is cheap, has lovely pictures and the recipes are easy to follow - what are you waiting for?!
on 3 February 2006
This little book is brilliant. I work in a ski chalet and have to cook a different cake everyday, I have found this book invaluable.
The cookie recipes in the back are brilliant too. Kids love the smatie cookies.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I had this book for Christmas and have already read it, used it and planned my next three cakes. The recipes are easy and simple. There is a very large variety of recipes to suit every need and mood from easy cookies to tea cakes, muffins, traybakes, flapjacks, cereal bars, and fairy cakes. Refreshingly, there is no celebrity chef writing long lifestyle invoking intros and commentaried, its just "here's what you need, here's what you do and there's the photo of what you should get".

There is one dish per page and a photo for every recipe. I personally don't like it when a recipe has no photo, but that's just me and its not the case here. So far I have tried the chocolate cinnamon crumble cake and the Spotted Dog tea bread. Both were excellent. This is now my favourite cookbook and by far the cheapest. I haven't got a bad word to say about it except that all these delicious recipes are going to make me and my family put on weight if I can't curb my enthusiasm!
on 16 January 2005
The first time i saw the book i thought it was very small,but once i opened it i thought it was excellent.I have already made the triple chocolate muffins and they are superbbbb.A lovely book to have and use.