5.0 out of 5 stars Always beautiful garden

Published 1 month ago by a customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Always beautiful garden, 30 Dec 2007
Wilhelmiina Hämäläinen (Finland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Succession Planting for Adventurous Gardeners (Hardcover)
Cristopher Lloyd is a garden magician, like our day's Gertrude Jekyll. In this book he gives advice how to make your garden to bloom from early spring to late autumn and look good in the winter. Pictures from his own garden are beautiful and inspiring. Sometimes the colour combinations are shocking, but the ideas are easily applied to other colour schemes. In addition to design issues, Lloyd gives valuable tips on growing plants and recommendations for the best varietes. The writing style is entertaining and the whole book is really enjoyable.

5.0 out of 5 stars works in continental climates, 17 May 2008
This review is from: Succession Planting for Adventurous Gardeners (Hardcover)
Very practical ideas for intensively using space for successive waves of flower-power. Yes, his garden was enormous, but the technique transfers eficaciously to small areas. This is a highly practical book, despite the wonderfully distracting photography. I garden in North Eastern Spain (continental climate, not Mediterranean, where the problems of hardiness and drought-resistance are combined. Many of the combinations or types of plants in this book i already have established, evidence that this is not a book only relevant to Sussex. If you spend 5 years only buying and trying hardy perennials, you will eventually find you have a solid basis of all round colour, on which to play with subsequently! My soil is clay with only home-made compost added. Enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for reference, learning and inspiration, 19 Jun 2009
This review is from: Succession Planting for Adventurous Gardeners (Hardcover)
I was prepared for another glossy insubstantial coffee table book when I ordered this; I was pleasantly surprised. The photography is beautiful, but it is also very well written. Mr Lloyd is an experienced, down to earth, and creative gardener who has a very easy and entertaining written style. It is useful and enlightening writing - the passing on of knowledge in an unpretentious way. The photos are thoroughly annotated, and the book is logically organised, which makes this a useful guide as well as an entertaining read. It is both a reference tool and a journey through a wise man's beautiful garden.

3.0 out of 5 stars A book for CL's fans and followers, 24 July 2014
This review is from: Succession Planting for Adventurous Gardeners (Hardcover)
I bought this book without being familiar with Lloyd's style of gardening. The problem for me is that I don't share much of his taste in plants, so there was not a lot I could take away from this book to inspire my own gardening. Instead, I found the RHS book "What Plant When" to be an easier book to inspire succession planting in the garden. Unlike the present book, "What Plant When" is much more concise and lacks the verbose opinionism of this book, and by taking the plants featured in "What Plant When" as a starting point, I have been able to come up with my own ideas for succession planting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational useful book, 17 Mar 2011
This review is from: Succession Planting for Adventurous Gardeners (Hardcover)
For gardeners I think this became an instant 'Classic' when it first came out in 2005.
Open the book and its instant inspiration for me, cant think why I didn't buy it years ago.

Succession Planting for Adventurous Gardeners
Succession Planting for Adventurous Gardeners by Christopher Lloyd (Hardcover - 17 Feb 2005)