5.0 out of 5 stars Talk Italian

2.0 out of 5 stars Consider your learning style before buying
Published on 4 July 2012 by C. WATT

5.0 out of 5 stars Talk Italian, 14 Jun 2005
By A Customer
After reading many reviews - I chose this course and I certainly made the right choice. I have loaded the CDs onto my Mpeg 3 player and listen to them every morning on my way to work. As a complete novice to Italian, I now feel really confident about ordering wine and a meal (obviously the most important requirements). Easy to listen to and learn with no need to constantly refer to the book - although I carry the book with me and consult it when necessary. All in all, excellent!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!!, 5 May 2005
By A Customer
I have recently bought this book and CD pack following the reommendation of other readers on this website. I have been attending Italian lesson for the past 10 weeks and although I have learnt a great deal from my tutor I have found both the book and CD really helpful. I have found the CD particulary useful and listen to it most days in the car. I have also used it at home together with the book. I feel much more confident in my lessons since using the book and CD. I would reccommend this book to anyone who is looking to gain a basic understanding in Italian as It would be just as useful on it's own without the lessons.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent introduction for beginners, 25 April 2003
I found this audio and text book combination an ideal way to get to grips with learning Italian. It's based on the original BBC series, but this pack has been updated to include euros rather than the old lire currency. Several situations are presented, providing a good range of vocabulary even at this basic level. A short section on grammar explains the fundamental structure of the language, which is more than enough at this level.

5.0 out of 5 stars No need for a college course with this book!, 13 Feb 2005
I recently enrolled on a college course, and on the first night was asked to buy this book/cd which we would work through over the weeks.
To be honest the book is so good that I wished I had just bought the book and not enrolled at college as it is extremely easy to follow, the words sink in, and its good fun (except for the embarrassing jingles!). The book and cd is a course in itself.
I am keen to get to the end of this book, and am already thinking about getting an advanced one, or trying another langage.

2.0 out of 5 stars Consider your learning style before buying, 4 July 2012
C. WATT (Aberdeen UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Talk Italian (Paperback)
The only reason I bought this product was really because it was cheaper than the Michel Thomas course. But this course is very much the traditional 'listen, repeat.' format and I really don't find that works for me. I also planned to listen to the CD while driving for work as I often spend hours at a time in the car, but because the course works in conjunction with the workbook provided, it doesn't really work well just listening to the CD on its own.

I did buy the Michel Thomas French course some time ago which you can listen to anywhere without having to memorise anything or take notes, fill in workbooks etc. I can now speak enough French to be able to get round Paris without any difficulty, but when in Italy recently, I was having my grammar and pronunciation constantly corrected by people to the point where I stopped trying.

My view would be that if you learn best with using workbooks etc and you're buying this to begin your journey to learning Italian properly then great, otherwise put the money towards the Michel Thomas course instead!

5.0 out of 5 stars Talk Italian, 28 Mar 2003
By A Customer
I bought the book and tape pack because I drive 500 miles every week and wanted to learn Italian quickly in the car. The tapes (2) are excellent and by the end of 1 week (with about 4 repetitions of each tape) I was able to construct short understandable sentences and can get by in Italy. I would certainly recommend this course.

4.0 out of 5 stars An easy and rewarding introductory course., 19 July 2004
I bought this small course book and tape a few days before an intensive Italian language course that I attended was due to start, and it was an excellent and easy aid to learning the basics of Italian in preparation for the course. The 100 page booklet is constructed of easy material, with tests at the end of each section that are not difficult and also make the process rewarding so that there is a good chance, I think, that you'll sail through the book just for the fun of it. The actors and actresses on the tapes all have engaging and distinguishable voices, but the one negative thing that I would point out is the jingles that play before sections of the course. This is a bit annoying after a while. It makes the course feel less serious, though it is really just a quick and light introductory course anyway, and to that end, the course is a success. It works as an ideal primer to an evening class in Italian, to make walking into the class much less daunting.

4.0 out of 5 stars helpful to the absolute beginner, 14 Mar 2002
By A Customer
aimed at the absolute beginner, this book and accompanying cassettes is a useful start to learning italian and starting to speak it straight away. although the cassettes sometimes feature words which aren't explained elsewhere, and the speech is sometimes pretty fast and hard to follow, it is overall a good start to learning the language. i found it particularly useful to have both a book and audio material to learn from.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent start, 24 Mar 2010
This review is from: Talk Italian (Paperback)
This book and accompanying CDs have provided an excellent start to learning basic Italian. I commute to work by train and have the audio on an ipod. This makes listening and following the book very easy - also replaying the audio. The book is organized into 10 sections on useful topics with key phrases at the start of each section. These are then exemplified through various short activities. A great strength of the approach is that you are frequently encouraged to think how you would say something. The italian speech in the recordings is very authentic - not artificially slow. It sometimes takes a few listens to understand what's being said, but it's great when you do! At the end of each section there are short excercises to help you consolidate what you have learned before moving on. The book and audio are very clear and easy to follow. All the audio conversations are transcribed at the end of the book. I used this a lot when I didn't quite catch a word or phrase. There are also short grammar and glossary Sections. I get the feeling I have learnt more than I think from this first book -I also bought book 2 and the grammar book and I will certainly continue.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Good, Not inspirational, 25 Nov 2010
This review is from: Talk Italian (Paperback)
It is a book with learner phrases that are reasonably easy to follow. The layout is good with the basic rules explained on the language e.g. the word changes slightly depending on your relationship with the person. There are some parts that could be confusing but that is because of the language not because of the book or CD. The CD is ok but could be put together better e.g. if you want to have something repeated then you need to keep a close eye on the timer because it is not laid out in chapters, pages etc. It is a bit like listening to something on tape and you listening to the words and the counter in case you need to go back to it.

We are only at the beginning of the book and CD and will keep on going with it.

Talk Italian
Talk Italian by Alwena Lamping (Paperback - 8 Feb 2006)
Used & New from: £2.98