on 11 October 2009
I wish I'd had this before my GCSE French exams. As a revision tool for students I imagine it is brilliant. The same applies for home study although I should point out it should be sold with the book and the DVD in one pack because the whole thing works together. The DVD is fantastic and did wonders for my French although some of the film is a bit tacky for example, when it shows you how to kiss correctly as a greeting. Fortunatly however, it isn't as stupid Rosetta Stone's software which tells you how to order a pair of curtains in a restaurant and so on. Therefore I'd reccommend it.
on 7 January 2010
If you want a good start in learning French or just brushing up after not using GCSE French for 10+ years, try this DVD. As well as the usual play and repeat features there are also quizzes (quizs?)& tests to try. The footage of the people in it is not old and cheesy like some language DVDs out there either.

I don't normally review my purchases but am happy to recommend.
on 8 March 2012
This BBC course is aimed at absolute beginners but it is good for those wishing to brush up too. You can adjust the level by choosing french and/or english subtitles or none at all. You learn a little about the way of life in France also.
on 1 September 2014
I notice many people who left comments re this dvd already had some french speaking skills so in essence their comments can only be considered invalid re this dvd.
Personally as a french speaker and a partner who is learning french - i found the dvd fundamentally flawed, it assumed listeners were already familiar with vowel sounds. the pace of the dvd was far too quick for a novice/beginner and many of the conversations and statements were not referred to at a later stage during the precis of the conversations - very confusing.
overall I think it was yet again another poor attempt to exploit the summer returning holidaymakers.
As much as I find him irritating I think the michel thomas series are much, much better and you find yourself more involved from the very first lesson
on 17 November 2010
If you don"t know one word of French this may keep you interested , but if you are like me and know very basic French and I mean very basic , then don"t bother , save your money , it is so simplistic its unbelievable , its more for primary school level , I bought this rubbish cause when I read the other reviews it sounded to me like I could gain something from it , all I can say about the persons who said it was very helpful and enlightening , your knowledge of French must be the equivalent of a not very bright child , what a waste of money , if you want to learn how to say hello BUY IT !
on 9 October 2015
What a waste of money! This six part television series is all about how to part 1. how to introduce yourself, you will see about ten different people saying "bonjour", "salut" and "ca va" (it will last for 20 min), then how to say where you are from in exactly the same way e.t.c. It would be so much better to use youtube and it's for free.
on 4 May 2013
I am enjoying this DVD - I can watch an episode after work and click onto key phrases, language points, mini-quiz and then revisit next day. It helps me to relax and learn the language. I also find the book and CD in the series helpful when I want to look at the language on page and when my eyes are tired I can listen to another, similar production. All good - Bien!
on 5 April 2013
Very useful if you are learning French with the Talk French program but have a no or a slow internet for watching it free on bbc website
on 3 September 2009
Disappointing, I thought this video was so basic but very confusing. If anything wanted to put me off learning French this would be it. Expensive too!
on 2 October 2015
I thought it was a CD and would go in a CD player as well as a DVD player, I may choose a different one I haven't played much of it yet but I don't think this is what I wanted.