5.0 out of 5 stars Really good course
I had the original of this book when the series was also on television.
Published on 12 April 2002 by Wigwagwiggy

2.0 out of 5 stars Not a stand-alone course- should not be sold without CDs!
Published on 29 Oct 2011 by Sabrinah

5.0 out of 5 stars Really good course, 12 April 2002
I had the original of this book when the series was also on television.
I used teach yourself greek and this book the bbc greek language and people course with the cassettes and have never looked back. Over the last 11 years travelling to Greece I have always been able to hold a fairly decent conversation and understood what was being said (you really need the tapes for this). Fun to do with amusing lessons. Whilst the Greek people were not keen on the photos of the people sat in the tavernas they were certainly impressed with the Greek I spoke. The book is split into 2 halves. The first 10 chapters help you to get by in Greek such as ordering food/drinks, saying hello, booking rooms, and general holiday type activities. The second 10 chapters deal more in depth with saying how you feel, what you think and how the language works as far as past, present and future tenses.
Even if you only get half way. You will find this book a big help.

5.0 out of 5 stars Confidently teaches real Greek using real life and humour, 18 Jan 2000
By A Customer
This has always been an excellent follow-up to any get-you-started traveller's Greek book (I recommend "Get By In Greek") Each chapter guides you through real-life situations, gradually introducing tenses and the written language until you know more than you realise! Subtle humorous exercises keep you interested all the way through (I recommend the English football teams and musical composers here!) and - with the addition of the cassettes, which should really be purchased to accompany the book - you'll be finding your way around, ordering food and conversing with the locals in no time!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but getting out of date, 27 Feb 2002
By A Customer
A comprehensive course from beginner to intermediate. A little out of date, still teaching the words for record (rather than CD)and prices in shopping dialogues are almost farcically cheap. Excellent to get you going (ordering food, booking rooms, buying clothes) but tends to concentrate on building vocabulary in nouns and, uses only a few key verbs. In the intermediate stages, particularly weak on variety of verbs used to illustrate tenses

5.0 out of 5 stars Welcome new edition, 27 Aug 2006
This review is from: Greek Language and People Course Book (Paperback)
I have had the old book for a while and was just starting to refresh my knowledge of Greek when I noticed the new edition. The thing that I would add to other reviews is the excellent cross referencing of the exercises to cd tracks. Instead of just having one track per chapter as a lot of other books do - meaning that you have to do a lot of fast forward and rewinding to get to the exercise/dialogue that you want, this has been split down into a large number of tracks, one for each exercise and dialogue. Each exercise in the book then has the track number inside. This is exactly what I was hoping for.

This is an excellent book but I would also recommend using "beginner's greek" by Aristarhos Matsukas because this has translitteration i.e. the greek alphabet words spelled out as you would say them in English. This really helped me to get to grips with the alphabet.

5.0 out of 5 stars ISBN for Audio CDs, 24 Oct 2008
C. X. Linton-Willoughby "flyinghyphen" (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Greek Language and People Course Book (Paperback)
The CDs are available separately. This is listed on the page opposite to 'Contents'. For CDs, order ISBN 9780563519775 (0563519770).

4.0 out of 5 stars Kopella, 3 Dec 2008
This review is from: Greek Language and People Course Book (Paperback)
I agree that this book may be more for the tourist, however it certainly helped me get going when I first went to Greece to live. There are courses free of charge run by the greek government for non greek speakers and they are superb. This little book helped explain some of the grammar that I couldnt get my head around. ie past tense and why the accent moves on words of three syllables. I used this book as a back up and it gave light relief from the gritty, but excellent government courses. Kali epitychi.

5.0 out of 5 stars A perfect way to get your Greek going, 28 April 2004
By A Customer
I started my Greek with this course. I loved it. If you can get to see some of the old Chris Searle, Katia Dandoulaki TV accompianment do so ('NoChris you do not need to know the word for double room'). I have to addthat this was twenty years ago or so, and argueably things have changed.But it's left me with a life long love of Greece and the language and Ihave have very fond memories of this fine course that got me talkingGreek. Going out there, meeting fine people (who still love you forgrappling with the language). I eventually got married there in 2003.
For me, it was a fine start. I had no experience of languages (apart fromLondonese) before and this really lit my pipe!
Get yakking!

2.0 out of 5 stars Not a stand-alone course- should not be sold without CDs!, 29 Oct 2011
This review is from: Greek Language and People Course Book (Paperback)
I was recommended to buy this book by my Greek teacher. Is it COMPLETELY useless without the accompanying CDs, as far as I can see. It constantly refers to the audio. It also doesn't give you any indication as to the sound of the letters or pronunciation of words. It should never have been allowed to be sold as a stand-alone book. They should have included the CDs and made it £10 more expensive, instead of tricking people.

You MUST realise that you need to buy the CDs as well in order to use this course!

3.0 out of 5 stars greek book, 18 Mar 2009
Stephen Parker (France, Midi-Pyrénées) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Greek Language and People Course Book (Paperback)
quite good but irritating in that it doesn't translate the words and phrases given into english in the overview at the end of each section. the greek to english vocabulary at the back of the book is very much abridged, and there is no english to greek vocabulary.

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste of time and money, 6 Sep 2007
This review is from: Greek Language and People Course Book (Paperback)
I've been teaching modern Greek for more than 10 years. This course book is not suitable for students who are serious about learning Greek. It's ok for those who, as tourists, want to be able to order a souvlaki in a greek taverna. I would be very suspicious of teachers of modern Greek who make use of this book. Very disappointing. I'd stick with the Communicate in Greek course books instead.

ARRAY(0x11699fcc)

Greek Language and People Course Book
Greek Language and People Course Book by David Hardy (Paperback - 14 Mar 2006)