Format: Paperback|Change

on 6 June 2000
I have successfully taught using this book for several years. It covers useful topics in a clear and interesting way. It has a wealth of exercises to practice your new-found knowledge. Grammar is introduced gently but thoroughly. It is a traditional style book and lacks the coloured pictures which newer books have but it is easy to follow and well presented. My only criticism is that the prices given as examples in the book are out of date making everything too cheap so don't be shocked when you go to Italy! The tapes are very useful and offer further practice. The book is user friendly and my students and I highly recommend it.
on 19 August 2009
When I first visited Italy as a touring musician, many years ago, I felt embarrassed at my limited musicians' Italian vocabulary and set myself the task of learning enough to get by and be understood for my next trip there. Having tried various phrase books and been dissatisfied with the fact that the parrot-like approach of the 'quick-fix' phrase book never gets you close to real understanding, I came across Buongiorno Italia. This was several years ago now, when the excellent course book came with cassettes and conversation in shops was still centred around Lira.

In my work I spend lots of time in the car and so used the cassettes extensively on long journeys, including joining in with the conversation practice when requested. When I arrived home or got to a hotel I would read through some of the text I'd listened to during my journey and was amazed at how much had sunk in.

Now, a few years later, we no longer have cassette players, either in the house or the car. So I decided to plump for the updated course book and CDs. I have to say they have got even better. Some of the material has been updated - including conversations based on Euro! - and the CDs were a delight to use.

With just a couple of weeks' refresher I found my confidence and understanding grew quickly with the conversational language the course is centred on and I was able to put it into good use during our recent holiday in Stresa - one of the settings for some of the book's practice material.

I can't recommend the Buongiorno Italia! language pack strongly enough, for anyone wanting a good, practical introduction to spoken and written Italian. If you follow it all the way through - and of course it's up to the reader to decide how much of the book to study - you will get way beyond a beginner's level and will find you can tackle a range of written and conversational situations. Highly recommended.
on 14 July 2013
I've tried a few courses over the years, including evening classes and Linguaphone but Buongiorno Italia is the best I have found. One should have a good command of Italian conversation if one sticks with it to the end as it is systematically structured in such a way that it holds one's interest without going too deeply into the nuances of grammar. In my opinion, one should definitely go for the pack rather than just the book or just the CDs. I am studying on a regular basis with two friends who are complete beginners and, even if we never learn the language, we are thoroughly enjoying the experience. As well as that, competition provides a great incentive for learning. I wish that there was a video DVD available of the original BBC series.
on 11 September 2013
Excellent beginners course and provides real confidence to speak Italian in real life situations. You listen to real Italians then lean the translations. Great!
on 30 June 2014
This is an extremely well done study program. I taught French and Spanish for 40 years, but never learned Italian. I looked at a number of programs before I chose "Buongiorno Italia" and I am glad I chose this program. For one thing, the vocabulary is presented in a way that makes it easy to learn. Unlike some books that provide no vocabulary lists - leaving the learner to try to figure out which words they should be knowing before moving on, this makes it clear. The grammatical explanations are well done with great examples, and the CD's are invaluable for hearing the correct pronunciation and building conversational skills. There is a healthy dose of cultural information as well to keep the program of study interesting. There are far more expensive programs than ""Buongiorno Italia" but this is the best I have seen and I am very glad to have purchased it.
on 5 April 2009
I am using the book with a tutor. It is very easy to follow and you can use the BBC language website to help as well.
I am enjoying the lessons and the gradual growth of my vocabulary. You do need the CD's that go with the book.
Advise starting with the aid of a tutor if this is your first time like me of learning a new language and over 40. Once you a comfortable and confident enough you can carry on your own. An idea could be to learn a new language in small groups could be a bit more fun. Overall a good place to start.
on 8 February 2015
This is a great book for learning Italian for travelling , an Italian teacher I knew borrowed it and found his pupils prefered it to anything else,he said they really enjoyed the lessons with it. I first used the book in the early 90's at a class for Italian ( this is updated ) so I know from attending other classes, that if you just want to order your coffee, beer, vino, directions book a room, this is the book for you.
on 28 March 2015
The great advantage of this course is that you can work your way through it at home, by yourself, whenever you want to, without having to attend a class. There are lots of interesting passages to read, with useful information about Italy (especially about the Umbria region), as well as plenty of well-graded dialogues, exercises, etc, which encourage practice in the things you might actually want to say.
on 3 February 2014
This is a revised version of a popular introduction to the language. The layout has changed a little and there is new material. It is difficult to see how it could be improved.
on 17 March 2014
Clear step by step learning Italian, slowly and then how you hear Italians rattle off their lyrical language. Great packaging and excellent price. Perfect.