5.0 out of 5 stars Italianissimo Beginners': CD Pack
Published on 26 Jun 2009 by M. Emin Tarim

2.0 out of 5 stars Far too much nonsense to wade through...
Published on 3 Sep 2006 by dick harden

4.0 out of 5 stars Helpful pick and mix approach, 4 Jun 2011
Pam Wilkinson (Emsworth, Hampshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Italianissimo Beginners': CD Pack (Audio CD)
Having been using this course for about a week now, I find it very good. You are encouraged to create your own sentences from the beginning, not just learn stock phrases off by heart, and the notes about language learning are excellent - encouraging learners to identify their goals and think about their own learning styles. If you want to look up and learn irregular verbs (which I did, after a couple of days, in order to be able to speak spontaneously) you can - and the reference and contents pages are pretty comprehensive. The "patterns" section of each unit provides some basics, but in fairly digestible chunks, to explain how the language works and enable you to say things which aren't in the book. I find myself talking to myself in the car, or even, this morning, to the electric kettle (il bolletore....).

I would have liked slightly more spoken dialogue on the CD for each "Unit" ( think the TV extracts, which you can get on the BBC website, are longer - why not put the whole things on the CD?. Listening skills are so vital - I am beginning to wonder how to find a nicely-read CD of children's stories, to try to attune my ear a bit better. The complaint about mushroom picking in an earlier review is a bit unreasonable - once you have the ability to listen, and speak, about looking for mushrooms then it's easy enough to adapt to different subjects.

The "background" pieces about life and culture in Italy are interesting and for me (knowing very little about the country) informative.

Good value. Will take many hours of work to get the best out of it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Italianissimo Beginners': CD Pack, 26 Jun 2009
M. Emin Tarim "Old Days" (Istanbul, Turkey) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Italianissimo Beginners': CD Pack (Audio CD)
I am a working man and I have learned quite a lot by listening to These CD's in my spare times. I found it very useful for those who wish to learn Italian, but cannot attend a course, provided that they should have the basic elements of Italian language in the first place, and they will of listening repeatedly. I found this BBC product very helpful. I am considering ordering Italianissimo 2, when it come to the market. Thank you

2.0 out of 5 stars Far too much nonsense to wade through..., 3 Sep 2006
This review is from: Italianissimo Beginners': CD Pack (Audio CD)
This collection is more like a fictional narrative in english rather than actually teaching and learning italian. You barely get a chance. The Italian bits go by so fast, and then they are back to a silly collection of totally unnneccessary sound effects, silly music, and far too much english blabbering in between the italian. basically, she rambles on far too much and loads it up with flouncey themes. On top of that, her voice - reminiscent of a puppy dog with a wet nose, you wish she'd do a section on clearing out nasal passages before recording cd's.

The problem with this collection is that it just rambles off some remote italian phrases, but you get absolutely no understanding of how things are put together structurally, thus if you dont have an extraordinary memory, you will just forget everything you repeat - and in many cases they do not even give u a chance to repeat at all.

And the subjects she chooses - one of them, sit down for this... mushroom picking. unless youre the kind a bloke or girly likes to hang about in a field, how practical is that one? as if. utterly useless, and that comprises one of the four cd's, not just a tiny section. In another one she's flirting with some Italian weirdo and it's truly gruesome dialogue between them, you're just thinking 'get a room and get me outta here'. I didn't find most of her subjects remotely useful, apart from a few. It's like she's on cloud 9, on some vineyard holiday rather than trying to teach italian, and we're all down here waiting for practical phrases that just don't come 'cept in a blue moon. u feel like she's just dragging u along on her silly englishwoman's holiday, figuring she'd make a few bob, pay for her lavish holiday, by offering a language course through it all.

Know what I use this for now? I use it to knock me out in bed at night, its so boring, and i wake up three hours later with my headphones still on my head, brilliant cure for insomnia was a nice surprise - if you're having trouble sleeping, this is your best potion, beats horlicks by a mile. otherwise, try another language course - this one just doesn't cut it.

Italianissimo Beginners': CD Pack
Italianissimo Beginners': CD Pack by Marie Therese Bougard (Audio CD - 15 July 2004)
20.39