Format: Audio CD|Change

on 2 February 2006
I bought this book with a gift certificate. I am not from England so much of the geography and names go right over me. However, there is a style of writing here that attracts me to every page. It is almost as if I have known A Bennett or he has known me all my/his life. I am sharing his thoughts and deeds throught these years. Mr Bennett is very understated.
on 14 September 2010
If you are any kind of fan of Alan Bennett, then this is for you!! Bennetts touching but never maudling memories of his family (especially his funny tales of his formidable aunties - role models if ever for all those northern soaps) are fabulous! Anyone with northern connections, or any memories of Leeds will find this especially compelling, as that "distinctive" northern voice takes you through his personal family revelations (aswell as the tedium of a childhood spent hanging around the restricted social circles of his shy parents).
on 15 December 2005
Listening to Alan Bennett reading his work adds an extra dimension - it's rather like an old friend confiding his private and personal memories. I'm not a fan of audiobooks but this one's an exception and worth replaying.
on 29 February 2012
I wouldn't have the temerity to review the work of Alan Bennett, whom I regard as the finest English playwright alive, whether writing for the stage, film or television. His various pieces of autobiography are no less remarkable, in their combination of insight, intelligence, compassion and humour. Untold Stories is a wonderful piece of writing, and translates into an equally wonderful audiobook, read beautifully by Bennett himself. I cannot recommend it highly enough.
on 14 December 2014
A superbly written autobiography, honest, intelligent, subtle and moving. Alan Bennett discovered he had cancer when he started working on this book, and feared it would be published posthumously. Luckily this is not the case. He was treated successfully and we can enjoy his sharp observations of the people around him in his formative years, written beautifully and sincerely. Warmly recommend it!
on 27 August 2010
Funny, thought provoking and oh so true enjoy this man's genius and buy the wholes series
on 28 March 2016
Great ! Lovely to listen to on audio.Pleased with quick delivery. Thank you
on 27 March 2015
GOOD usual witty and interesting
on 4 January 2015
Just as expected - good quality
on 26 July 2014
Every home should have a copy.