on 10 February 2005
This book has been my bible for the last six months - used so often that it is almost worn out. If it starts to fall apart I will definitely buy another. I have tried the majority of recipes in the book, some so often that I can now cook them without referring to the page. All have been tasty, some outstandingly so. Thanks largly to this book I have lost 4 stone in weight in six months and six inches off my waistline. This book should be nominated for a prize.
0Comment|197 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 May 2006
In the last 12 months I must have bought 12 or 13 "diet/detox" type books, in a last ditch attempt to lose weight. I didn't lose single pound. The diets were just so restrictive or with weird foods that you felt deprived, and end up eating chocolate and crisps again !
This little book is FAB. Believe me, I've never bothered writing a review of anything before, but felt compelled to do so for this. I've been cooking from this book for 2 weeks now and have lost half a stone, just by swapping to "prawns with feta and tomato", or low fat "toad in the hole" (yes really, sausages!) instead of my normal lardy food. The recipes are so easy, and there is a picture of each dish (very important for me to see what it's supposed to look like)The recipies use lots of store cupboard ingredients (very handy for a working mother like me) and the children love it too as there are lots of "tuna and pasta/rice" type dishes. I never thought this would work, but it DOES and it's such a cheap little book. Great value, honestly, I've lost track of the friends I've bought it for!
44 comments|271 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 July 2004
This is the best low-fat cook book I have ever bought. There are so many recipes in it that I would actually cook, and those that I have made are absolutely delicious and my husband has really enjoyed the the change in menu. Every recipe has a photograph on the opposite page, and the ingredients are easy to find in the shops. I really recommend this book and have just bought a copy for my mother, after she expressed how good it looked. If you only buy one low-fat recipe book today, make it this one!
0Comment|96 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 February 2006
Out of the 10 recipes books this is by far the best. The meals are not only simple and realistic to make but also taste great. This book is definitely worth the few pounds it costs to buy and i have reccommended it to many.
VINE VOICEon 28 February 2007
There's a whole series of these '101...' recipe books from Good Food Magazine, and they're all bang on the money. The lay-out is concise (there's a recipe on one page, and a nice, clear photo of what the dish should look like on the adjacent page) and the recipes are simple and easy to follow; no single recipe is broken down into more than 4 steps. Of course, I haven't tried them all, but those I have were all successful ('Baked Buttery Squash' is my most recent favourite). What's more, you hardly notice the fact that they're all low fat.

I wouldn't say this is the only cook book you'll ever need, but it's definitely a worthy addition to anyone's collection regardless of whether you're looking to lose weight or not.

Matt Pucci
on 19 April 2010
I like my food, and I like making new and adventurous things, and this just didn't cut it for me. Most of the recipes are boring, and I have tried before, I liked a few of them, but had I looked through the book before buying, I would not have bought it.

I was looking for an exciting low fat cookery book, this just isn't exciting enough for me, it did not have me drooling or rushing to the kitchen, and considering I am a food-a-holic,(hence the need for LOW FAT cooking), that is not good at all. The food is not what I'd call 'everyday food' yet it lacks adventure. Strange but true.
on 14 October 2003
This pocket sized book is full of recipes that you actually will cook. They use ingredients that you are likely to have or be familiar with, and the dishes are full of flavour and variety. Each recipe is photographed and shown. The only criticism is that there aren't many desserts, but other than that I recommend it.
on 21 January 2007
as a foody always looking for interesting, low fat, low calorie, tasty, quick to cook recipes that make you feel like you are not on a diet. this book is full of them. my book is full of page markers and covered in food splatterings. The sign of a great cook book.
on 21 November 2007
This little book was great. Had plenty of choice, book was well set out and the recipies were very easy to follow and the majority were relatively quick to make (vital for when you get home from work starving and could eat your body weight in food before turning on the kettle nevermind the oven). Having tried two of the recipies on the weekend (and not having killed anyone as a result) I declare this book a success!!
on 16 March 2008
Great, easy to follow recipe's that are guaranteed to be both filling and tasty. I highly recommend the Pumpkin and Bean Spaghetti (pp 66-67)!

The only down side is that this book - like many recipe books - expects you to be feeding a family. I would have liked to have seen more recipe's aimed at serving 2 or fewer people.