5.0 out of 5 stars not a bad one in there ...
I've been vegetarian for all my adult life and I can honestly say that I have never found a recipe book with as high a hit rate as this one. I've tried loads of the meals and all have been fantasic. What I like most is the combination of really easy to follow recipes, easy to find ingredients and exciting/unusual flavours.

I've bought this book a few times to...
Published on 16 Nov 2008 by mini_chick

3.0 out of 5 stars 101 veggie dishes
Published on 25 Feb 2009 by A. Towler

5.0 out of 5 stars not a bad one in there ..., 16 Nov 2008
This review is from: Good Food: 101 Veggie Dishes (Tried-and-Tested Recipies) (Paperback)

I've bought this book a few times to give as presents once people had tried some of the food at my place. It's a cheap little book and as an added bonus, you have a breakdown of the recipes by carbs, fat and calories, so it's easy to find something to suit your needs.

If you only buy one vegetarian recipe book, buy this one. You really won't be disappointed.

3.0 out of 5 stars 101 veggie dishes, 25 Feb 2009
A. Towler - See all my reviews
This is a good book and value for money. So far all the recipes I have used have come out as they should, clear instructions and good photos help. If you are new to this kind of cooking then you cant really go far wrong. My only complaint is that we are trying to eat more healthily and some recipes are very high in fat or have huge quantities of cheese so if you are trying to be healthy then look closely at the calorie information.

5.0 out of 5 stars The one cookbook that wont gather dust, 29 Mar 2007
H. Wilson "Helonlegs" (UK) - See all my reviews
How many times have you bought a cookbook, full of good intentions to try something new, only to find that each recipe requires fifty ingredients, the majority of which are either unheard of or unobtainable. Not with this little gem of a book! Most of the recipes have only a few ingredients, the majority of which are available in even the most sparcely populated cupboards. And they dont take hours to prepare or cook either. I have tried many of the recipes and to date not one has turned out wrong. It's most satisfying for non-professionals like me to turn out a dish that looks exactly as it does in the (particularly enticing) photograph. In fact every one of the books in this series is a total must-have. Well done Good Food!

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes it a lot easier to be a vegetarian!, 10 May 2009
This is the best book I have ever found! There are some recipes in this book that are genuinely the best food I have ever made (bean chilli, spring greens & rice soup, stuffed mushroom bruschettas, cheese & chutney melts to name a few).

As some reviewers have pointed out, a quarter of the recipes have got cheese in them, but that leaves another 75 without! I had never tried goats cheese or paneer until I found this book. Most of the recipies have approx a quarter of your your RDA for Saturated fat. (Isn't it good of them to actually tell us the nutritional content for every recipe!) There are a few which are very high because they contain coconut milk but don't let that mis-lead you - most are healthy. The salt content is also very low it must be pointed out.

As I stated I'm delighted to have found this book will buy one for a friend. I would love to see a volume two!

5.0 out of 5 stars A delight alright!, 3 Jan 2005
I love this book. Compact, high quality photos for each recipie, and all quick, easy, and tasty to make. Practical and healthy for simple evening cooking, with enough ideas to also produce a 3-course effort.
As it says on the tin, the book offers 101 recipies, which leaves you wanting more. However, this is a minor quibble, as it was definitely value-for-money.

5.0 out of 5 stars 101 Veggie Dishes, 19 Nov 2009
G. Lewis (Pembroke, Wales) - See all my reviews
I have had to take over preparing and cooking food because my wife suffers from the effects of a couple of strokes and can no longer cook or remember what to do. I have been trying out some books that should help me but following a suggestion from my daughter I tried various BBC "Good Food" books and found them all to be very interesting and helpful. In this book recipes etc are simple and easy to use so much so I think anyone would find them helpful. They are easy to follow and understand and have simple recipes with good photos showing you what you can achieve.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good simple and tasty, 14 July 2008
I have made lots of the recipes in this book (in fact its one of my most used recipe books)- they are always tasty, and filling, and generally fairly cheap and quick and easy to make. Unlike alot of recipe books, it tends to use mainly ingredients you would have in your cupboard, with means less trips to the shops and less money spent (and you dont end up with a cupboard full of stuff you bought for a recipe and will never use again!)

Its also fairly unsahamed about using tinned stuff or ready made sauces if it makes the recipe quicker of easier, which is a plus, and often pute in alternatives things you can use if you dont have a particular ingredient, or suggests alternative ways of cooking something to make it easier.

I'm not vegetarian, but I do like vegetarian, and didnt find that I felt like any of the recipes I made were missing meat.

Only one minor quibble - they often recommend using vegetarian alternatives to ingredients, for example vegetarian parmesan, vegetraian pesto, vegetarian feta, and I found these pretty hard (or impossible). If you are a meat eater like me, and can use normal parmesan/pesto etc, then this book is fine. If you are Vegetarian and know where to get necessary veggie alternatives, also fine. If you are a meat eater looking for something to cook for vegetarian friends, be prepared to change your recipes if you cant find the right ingredients.

5.0 out of 5 stars A little book that punches above its weight, 3 May 2005
P. Kirby - See all my reviews
My kitchen is full of veggie cookbooks, yet this is the one I reach for over and over again. I normally find that, even in a cookbook several times the size of this one, there are only 2 or maybe 3 recipes that I keep coming back to, yet I have already identified at least 12 recipes in this diminutive book that I could no longer live without - and there are several more that I'm longing to try but haven't got around to yet. Don't waste any more time reading reviews about it - just buy a copy and get cooking, and you'll see exactly what I mean!

4.0 out of 5 stars A decent, pocket-sized vegetarian cookbook, 19 Feb 2009
This is a cookbook that I find myself coming back to every once in a while, even though I don't think it's brilliant - it certainly is useful. Filled with fairly simple recipes that require few ingredients, this is a nice pocket-sized cooking companion.

When I don't feel like making something elaborate, but still want to have home-cooked food rather than a microwave meal, this book is a godsend. Like the BBC Good Food magazine, where I presume a lot of the recipes come from, the recipes in the book err on the side of being cautious - they're staid, trustworthy recipes rather than adventurous or complex ones.

I particularly like the simple but delicious recipes (mmm, tomato & chive tart) and the very easy recipe for pea & paneer curry. Some of them are a bit too simple, though. For instance I'm not convinced that I need a whole recipe to tell me to make a beetroot and tzatziki sandwich - these are the kind of things you would chuck in a sandwich if you happened to have them in the fridge, but it's not a proper 'recipe' as such!

All in all, though, a good purchase and a nice little cookbook...

5.0 out of 5 stars My most-used cook book, 20 Sep 2007
This book is excellent, there's loads of variety but all the recipes are quick and there are no strange ingredients that you can't find. I've gone out and brought copies for friends.

Good Food: 101 Veggie Dishes (Tried-and-Tested Recipies)
Good Food: 101 Veggie Dishes (Tried-and-Tested Recipies) by Orlando Murrin (Paperback - 5 Jun 2003)