Format: Hardcover|Change

on 20 September 2003
I love cooking Indian food and have quite a few of Madhur's books, but this is by far my fave one. The spice descriptions and techniques at the start of the book would be useful for beginners, while I like to try out the menu suggestions. I find all the recipes I've tried to be very accurate and always a big hit with my family. The best so far has been cod steaks in a spicy tomato sauce, where we found the fish to be totally succulent. This is served with rice and scrummy spicy cucumber wedges. I also found it hard to resist trying out the tempting lamb dishes. The up-to-date design and pretty photos in this book make it a lovely gift. It's certainly one book that I will turn to over and over again.
on 1 February 2007
My copy of this little book is now almost illegible in places due to heavy use in the kitchen. Over time I have tried most of the dishes, and I keep returning to our many favourites. I have several Indian friends who tell me that the recipes are very authentic versions of their family home-cooked meals. Try these recipes and you'll never want to cook with pre-made sauces, or eat takeaway curries ever again. An absolute masterpiece which I'll probably have to buy another copy of to replace my be-smeared one.
on 20 April 2003
This is the dirtiest, stained, moth eaten cookery book we own. Thats hardly surprising with the amount of use its had!
This book gives a great introduction to Indian cookery. If you've never cooked an Indian meal before (and pre-prepared sauces and pastes don't count) you should try it. The book gives highly prescriptive (use 3 peppercorns!) but easy to follow recipies for well known and less known dishes. The fool proof recipies are a great starting point for enjoying this type of cookery and provides a good foundation for personalising dishes to your own preference as you develop a good understanding of the wide range of Indian ingrediants.
on 10 October 2010
One thing i have noticed about this author is that her measurements are spot on! I have been through many books and watch a lot of cookery programmes and when it comes to Indian/Pakistani cooking, other people add WAAAAYYYY to much spice!
I love this book, and between me and my best mate we tried out several recipes. The only down side is that it doesn't have many recipes...
It's got, starters, main, dessert, fish but a few of each. Also i would have preferred more pictures.

I bought the following fro amazon:

* Madhur Jaffrey's Indian Cookery [Hardcover]
Publisher: BBC Books; 2nd Revised edition (7 Nov 2002)
ISBN-10: 0563488212 ISBN-13: 978-0563488217
And
*Madhur Jaffrey Curries [Hardcover]
Publisher: Ebury Press (2008)
ASIN: B001J8FQCO

And PEOPLE, they are the SAME book. EXACTLY the same recipes! Thank god my friend wanted it aswell. I couldn't be bothered with the hassle of sending one back. So be careful when ordering, or you'll pull a ME! :D

If you are a beginner get this book... But if you prefer to experiment and love cooking get her book that's called "the ultimate bible", it is FANDABATASTIC!
on 6 November 2005
After eating mom´s delicious indian delicacies for years, it was a bit of a challenge to take on cooking. For about 3 years I struggled with my dishes - overcooked them, or had too much of some spices, or ended up with all dishes tasting the same.
So when I finally decided to learn a little from some books, I was looking for a book with a good mix of authentic dishes.
And what a great book to have bought. If nothing else, this book has taught me how to cook decent chicken and chick peas. Dishes have ingredients found in normal shops, dont take 10 hrs to cook and really do taste well.
This book is definitely a great buy!
on 23 January 2005
I bought this book after being recommended it by a friend and I have to say as a second generation Indian girl, the recipes are very authentic. Some of them are exactly the same as the recipes, that have been passed on through the generations of my mother's family.
The only bad thing I would say, is in the quatities of ingredients given. For example, instead of saying 4 onions she says to use 50g of onion! Other than that, the recipes are thorough and produce some tasty dishes.
This is definately a 'must', if you're Indian, living away from home and want to recreate the dishes that your mother makes!
on 23 August 2011
This book is a work of genius! Even if you have no culinary talent (like myself) you can prepare lovely, delicious dishes. As a result, my friends believe I can cook and seek to impress me by feeding me excellent dishes of their own, improving the food quality in my life considerably! The pictures are lovely (which makes me want to bother to cook the food in the first place). In addition, I find the cover image very soothing: I often look at it in culinary emergencies and following spice-splattering incidents. The recipe instructions are clear and easy to follow. There's an extensive (and interesting) section at the beginning of the book providing details about the spices used in the recipes and how to prepare items (like peeled tomatoes) beforehand. I'm vegetarian, and there's enough non-meat recipes to keep me content, while ensuring that my omnivorous friends are supplied with tasty (morally reprehensible) flesh products - just kidding! Anyway, I recommend it. The only criticism I could make, which applies equally to all cookbooks, is that it needs pages that are waterproof and can be wiped down, as mine have been extensively thumbed with spice-covered fingers and amply splattered with sauce - perhaps i'll buy a spare copy for private worship.
on 24 November 2008
Like the other reviewers, our copy of this book looks disgusting - all the page corners are bent over, many pages are besplattered with turmeric and other remnants of dishes made, and its grown to about double its original thickness.

It's superb and 95% of the dishes have been wonderful. We repeat them time and again. It uses a certain set of easy-to-get spices and, once you have them all, you can just about make anything in the book. You need a bit of time for preparation but the results are great. Our favourites are too many to mention but special places in our hearts and stomachs are: lamb rogan josh, chicken with tomatoes, royal beef, chickpeas, black-eyed beans, and potatoes with sesame seeds.

One word of warning: Madhur tends to be a bit heavy on the use of salt - would recommend halving the amounts she uses.
on 25 November 2009
I bought this book for my daughter in New Zealand, as she could not find it there. I have been using my own battered, dog-eared, sauce-stained copy since 1982, shortly after Madhur Jaffrey's television series was first broadcast. I have tried nearly all of the recipes in the book, and have yet to find one that is less than delicious. When my daughter, as a student, lived in an indian village for three months, she returned to tell me that the Indian food I cooked was just like the authentic local dishes.
This book also dispels the idea that all Indian food has to be uncomfortably hot. It is all about the use of flavour, rather than heat, to provide wonderful tasty food.
on 11 January 2010
I had bought the Madhur Jaffrey 'Curries' book and was totally impressed that I wanted to buy another one of her books so I decided on this on. I am now letting you know that the two books are almost 100% identical. I mean page after page is the same as teh previous book i bought. Even the order of the recipies was not changed. I am very disapointed that 2 books by the same cook can be published under diffent titles when the content is the same. Don't get me wrong, its a great book, but don't be buying it if you have the 'curries' book as it is the same.