Format: Hardcover|Change

on 7 February 2006
At 30 years old I thought I ought to start cooking some proper food instead of heating up ready meals!
So finding Delia's beautiful collection of books has been a godsend.
I started with the 'Soup' and 'Fish' ones and so far have been making a fresh soup every week.
The instructions are easy to follow and the ingredients are easy to find in your local supermarket. The lovely pictures help to show you what your creation is supposed to look like too!
Delia has given me the confidence to move onto more complex recipes and I am planning to do some baking this spring....!
Good luck. Hope you find the book as inspiring as I have.
VINE VOICEon 8 February 2004
I own ALL of Delia Smith's books along with 223 other cookery books by various experts all over the world. What I like most about Delia is her "no nonsence" approach to food, although she can be a little "mumsy' at times. But then, that is part of her appeal.
This book and all the others in its series (Soup, Fish, Chicken) have been very difficult to review because they can be simply fabulous or down right rip-offs.
The recipes themselves are typical of Delia - straightforward and designed to work - and as such these books are indispensible for those who do not own any of her other books. On that basis alone I would have given this book (and its siblings) a 5-star rating.
BUT, for those wanting to buy this book, I would warn that there are no great culinary revelations here. These are recipes published by Delia in her previous collections - Summer, Winter, Christmas etc - just a rehash of old hits. If you buy this book and others in this series, you might just be tempted to ask for your money back- but not before giving a 1-star rating!
However, if like me, you have several bookshelves groaning under the weight of countless cookery books, Delia offers a wonderful filing system for her recipes. Personally, I find this to be a time saver when faced with organising dinner for 8 at short notice. No more flipping through pages looking for Delia's Chocolate Mouse or Delia's Mini Chocolate Muffins or Delia's Chocolate Truffles etc etc
For those thinking about buying this book, I suggest that you first ask yourself if you have so many Delia books that you now need more books of neatly organised Delia delights.
For an average person, this book and the others in the series get an average 3-star rating.
0Comment|93 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon 11 November 2003
If like me you only know how to roast a chicken and to chuck a chicken breast in with a jar of sauce then this is for you.
Some excellent and easy to make recipes that really surprised me in their simplicity and their taste.
I love Delia and this is one of a suite of new books that enforce her reputation as the queen of the kitchen.
Highly recommended!!!
on 19 December 2003
A stylish book with 50 delicious recipes, some excellent and easy to make soups that really surprised me in their simplicity and their taste.
This is one of a suite of new books from Delia (Chicken, Soup, Chocolate and Fish) that enforce her reputation in the kitchen.
Recommended!!!
on 29 October 2003
A great book beautifully presented with full page colour photographs for each recipe, although not all showed the actual dish. The 50 recipes are organised into the 4 seasons and so far I have only spotted a couple of repeates. As ever Delia fails to give any nutritional values with the recipes, no calorie count or fat content. Can't believe its only £6.99
on 17 February 2015
I love this cooking book and have made loads of the recipes in it. I particularly love the spiced chicken one and the Thai green curry. As with all Delia Smith recipe books. I find the instructions clear but concise and not easy to follow. Its a great cookbook if you cook a lot of chicken.
on 19 September 2015
Delia Smith always produces recipe books that look good and with easy to follow recipes that work well. I've enjoyed making several of the recipes - they turned out just as described in the book. I would definitely recommend this recipe book.
on 1 December 2014
I sadly felt let down by this collection of soup recipes. Delia, who has always been a real teacher to cooking morons such as myself, simply doesn't give good basic soup recipes. I prefer "Ma Broon's" Collection by far.
on 11 February 2013
Delia is the Boss!!! Jamie says so and he is right!! Fabulous recipes, The London Particular is awesome.
Have bought another copy for my daughter as she came round and sat engrossed reading it all evening.
Brilliant
on 14 April 2015
Wasn't what I was expecting, I wish I had looked at other soup books before buying this one. Not too many recipes that caught my interest. Condition of the book was ok for a second hand book.