4.0 out of 5 stars Torchwood - Border princes
I've just finished reading the latest installment from the Torchwood series, and I have to say I am impressed at the way it sucked me in.

Several small tales are all explored throughout the book, all of which seem quite unrelated until they all neatly come together, weaving a complex and quite enjoyable storyline.

The plot mostly revolves around the...
Published on 15 Jan 2007 by A. Smith

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing
This was the 3rd Torchwood book I read and I'm glad I read it last otherwise I would not have bothered reading the other two which were brilliant!

Published on 22 May 2007 by Nipper Dog

4.0 out of 5 stars Torchwood - Border princes, 15 Jan 2007
A. Smith - See all my reviews
This review is from: Torchwood: Border Princes (Hardcover)

The plot mostly revolves around the well known members of the Torchwood team, including new addition James, who has more to him than meets the eye. This leads to the numerous twists and turns throughtout, and even thought the ending becomes quite predictable it is still an enjoyment to read.

I am now looking forward to reading the other releases in the series, and if this book is anything to go by I won't be able to put those down for a while either!

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 22 May 2007
This review is from: Torchwood: Border Princes (Hardcover)

I found the difference in attitude of the characters - from what I'd learnt about them on TV and in the other two books - to be extremely off-putting; they just didn't ring true and, to me, acted out of character. Cap'n Jack was quite a marginal figure and seemed very weak - not leadership material at all and not the cool, calm but witty hunk we know and love! He didn't seem to be in control much and we didn't hear that much about him or from him, which was most unexpected.

The introduction of the character James didn't work for me either and the fact that he and Gwen 'got it together' was a real shame; Gwen's love of Rhys provides one of the strongest links to 'reality' - he represents the rest of us - that the series has. It is her constant battle between what she sees and learns at Torchwood and the 'normal' everday life of her and Rhys - the way she adapts and reconciles the two and the constant wrestling of her conscience between them - that gives her such strength and adds humanity and compassion to the team. The loss of that throws us out of kilter - all without good reason as far as I could see. Maybe I just didn't 'get it'!

Still, it's far better than anything I could write so I guess I have no right to criticise!

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than the telly?, 9 Oct 2007
S. Bentley "stuarthoratiobentley" (North Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Torchwood: Border Princes (Hardcover)
Disclaimer: This review was written before the much more enjoyable second series of Torchwood was put on telly and addressed many of the issues I had with the show.

I should point out, that while I watched Torchwood all the way through, it was more in the hope that it would all come together at some point than because I was really enjoying it. So why read one of the books? Well both Andy Lane (who wrote Slow Decay) and Dan Abnett have proven themselves fine writers and I approached Border Princes as a Dan Abnett novel instead.

So I was mildly surprised (though not that surprised) to find that Dan's novel presented the version of Torchwood I'd been expecting and hoping for. A group of paranormal investigators, normal people, who deal with crimes using alien artefacts and incursions from other realms. The interactions between the team, which I'll admit don't mirror the television show that well beyond the first episode, make you feel like they're a good team, as opposed to the backstabbing, callous bunch of cheats and liars the show featured. When watching the show I could never understand why they all kept working together when they would shoot each other, bully each other etc. Captain Jack particularly feels closer to how Russell T Davies writes him than what we saw in the show and is a lot easier going and willing to share his mysteries.

The writing is well paced and quite gripping. Even though you'll probably see where it's all going, it's a pleasant trip getting there. There's plenty of humour and the relationship writing for Gwen is particularly strong, even if Rhys does get short shrift (but then Gwen had an affair with Owen in the show, so why should we believe her relationship with Rhys is particularly strong). James, the mysterious new Torchwood member, is a nice chap too.

If you're a big fan of the show, it isn't quite so faithful as you might hope, I guess. And it is hard to figure out where it fits into the timescale. I'm tempted to suggest it may fit better in the second series, depending how that turns out. (Edit: And whaddayaknow? I was right!)

4.0 out of 5 stars The strongest of the first 3 Torchwood books, 17 Mar 2007
Mr. Stuart Bruce "DonQuibeats" (Cardiff, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Torchwood: Border Princes (Hardcover)
Of the first three Torchwood spin-off books ("Border Princes", "Another Life", "Slow Decay"), I think this is the strongest one. In it the Torchwood crew have to face several problems at the same time, unlike the TV series where problems conveniently appear at a rate of one a week, and the book studies the characters under stress.

The book also does a good job of fitting itself *into* the TV series without having to follow fixed rules for which characters will survive and which won't (in particular James, as other reviewers have mentioned), and yet it does NOT use a 'magic reset button' or 'it was all a dream' device, for which it should be praised.

Clicking the 'Dan Abnett' link on Amazon suggests that he's a seasoned writer for other tie-in books like Warhammer 40,000, and the battle scenes in this book are well-written. It's quite a masculine book, the up-side of which is that the book doesn't spend too long on the Gwen-and-Rhys-problem that "Another Life" got itself wrapped up in. Personally I found the Gwen-and-Rhys-relationship-breakdown the weakest written and least engaging part of both the TV series and the other books, so I'm grateful that this book doesn't dwell on it.

<geek mode> There is a bit of a plot contradiction between this book and episode 12 of the TV series, and Toshiko's character is very different to her TV appearances, but those are minor niggles. <end geek>

5.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining - for Torchwood, 13 Feb 2007
This review is from: Torchwood: Border Princes (Hardcover)
After having finished this book and more than half of the third book of the set, I think I have read the books in the right order. "Another Life" is giving the basics of the series and also introduces the known background of the characters at the time of early Torchwood well. "Slow Decay" is looking at the Gwen/Rhys relationship more closely. Reading it after "Border Princes" gives that aspect of the book more impact. Nevertheless, all three books can be read in any order. They are stand-alone novels.

"Border Princes" is the least dark of the three novels. Some parts are surprisingly funny, sometimes in a twisted, sick way, but more than once I had to smile. Having a bad cold at the moment, especially one part of the book left me half amused and half disgusted. I enjoyed that but on the other hand, the book also contains more swearing than I would have liked sometimes, especially at the beginning. I know, Torchwood is aimed at adults, but nevertheless, I don`t consider excessive swearing to be clever or "adult".

What I mainly liked about the book is the idea that there are other, kind of Torchwoods. Mr. Dine is a great character and I kept hoping that he won`t be killed off. I wish Torchwood, the TV series, would have something like that: An alien who is basically a good guy, an ally but who is obviously coming from a very different world and is still learning to understand how our society works. I could also appreciate how powerful these people are and how dangerous they can be. The vast majority of Torchwood is about dangerous, often outright bad aliens and artefacts that cause death and misery. We get the dangerous artefacts also in this book but this was a refreshing change: If there will be more Torchwood books, I am hoping very much that we will meet Mr. Dine again.

That James is not who he seems to be is obvious from the beginning because he never was a member of the Torchwood team on TV. That also meant that the relationship between him and Gwen had to end badly and I didn`t expect him to survive the book. Soon after the first appearance of Mr. Dine I had a pretty good idea of what will happen next but nevertheless, there were a few surprises and the book never stopped to be an entertaining read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 31 Dec 2012
An absolutely brilliant book full of twists at the last minute and great to read on the kindle! I will definitely be getting the next book in this series on the kindle.

2.0 out of 5 stars ahhh, 4 Nov 2011
This review is from: Torchwood: Border Princes (Hardcover)
This book started off ok but as it went on it got increasingly worse,,
it didnt seem like torchwood at all , it was badly written and the chracters were completely different to how they usually are
fo example jack seemed weak and owen was being to nice
i love torchwood but this book dissapointed me <3

4.0 out of 5 stars Highly Recommended for Fans, 5 May 2008
Michelle Moore (Dartford, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Torchwood: Border Princes (Hardcover)
For anyone who hasn't seen the show, this book is probably not a good introduction, as it throws you straight into the story, without giving any kind of background. For those who have seen the show, however, this does not pose a problem.

Whereas the Doctor Who book I recently read felt like a TV episode, this has a longer feel to it. Running alongside the main story are other smaller storylines. In the TV show, Torchwood deal with one neat story every week, but this book has a more realistic feel to it, as they go from one problem to another.

The characters were fairly well captured, as I found it quite easy to picture them. However, Ianto plays a very small part, and Jack doesn't feel quite right.. he seemed more `relaxed' than I remember him in the first series, plus the leadership skills aren't that apparent.

A rather confusing factor is the introduction of a new character, James.. but bear with it, as it does all make sense at the end.

The actual book is a fast paced read, it hooks you in, and keeps you turning those pages. Highly recommended for fans, and I'm certainly hoping to pick up some more!

3.0 out of 5 stars new recruit, 12 Jun 2007
Paul Tapner (poole dorset england) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Torchwood: Border Princes (Hardcover)
Torchwood. Secret agency based in cardiff protecting the human race from aliens and alien technology. You will probably know that from having watched the tv show, but I mention it here because the book throws you in at the deep end without introducing the characters or the set up. Torchwood are tracking down something that's causing people in cardiff to go mad. And if you are familiar with the tv show, you'll wonder who this person working for them called James is, because we never saw him on screen.

That's the big mystery of the book. As torchwood go about their usual business dealing with strange things happening in cardiff, someone else is in the city, tracking something down.

The prose here is very readable, but not too many characters get much of a look in, as this story seems to be mostly about gwen and the relationship she gets into with james. another fixture on tv was the clash between her home life and her work life, and there's plenty more of that here.

This is quite readable but you tend to wonder where it's going, although hang on in there as there is a main plot to this which kicks in during the last third. It's all quite intriguing and well resolved, but it does also feel a little rushed, one story element not amounting to as much as you might have expected.

A decent torchwood novel but not the strongest of them

3.0 out of 5 stars does the author really know what torchwood is?, 4 Jan 2007
This review is from: Torchwood: Border Princes (Hardcover)
this book seems like it has been rushed to get it printed in time for people to have seen torchwood and want some of its memorabelia. first there is a character that isnt part of the team(i wont spoil the ending but the author sort of explains why which is all part of the story) but having this character made me spend most of the time wondering who this guy was which for me spoilt the book. it also seems like the author doesnt seem to know the characters very well, all gwen seems to do is swere everyother paragraph which makes her look very shallow which is not like her at all.

if you are just getting this book to see what the series would be like i recommend the other two novels in the series or if your like me and want it to match the cast icture on the spine that matches with each title ignore the writing.

Torchwood: Border Princes
Torchwood: Border Princes by Dan Abnett (Hardcover - 11 Jan 2007)
6.59