Format: Hardcover|Change

VINE VOICEon 9 August 2007
Russell Davies' regenerated Dr Who has been a triumph not only of nostalgia but of new beginnings.

Not content with merely bringing the Time Lord back to the small screen with a big budget, Davies sidestepped the obvious error and made sure that the scripts outshone the CGI at every turn. Delivered by a superb ensemble cast, headed up in series 1 by Christopher Eccleston as a stark loner plagued by survivor guilt, the new episodes were miracles of economic but stylish drama.

Devoid of sentiment but packed with emotion, they scared us rigid, built characters we cared about and still found time to take apart the vanities of 21st century culture - from reality TV and makeover shows to the Blair regime's paranoid obsessions with identity and security.

Here's hoping the BBC will publish the scripts from the next two series.
on 6 April 2011
This book was massive and so excellent value for money! (I bought new at £8). It included all the scripts of series one clearly laid out. The stories in Doctor Who are amazing! I am a huge fan and would recommend this to any Doctor Who fan - even if you aren't a massive fan but still watch it. I really hope that at some point they'll release books for the other series.

BBC, PLEASE DO ONE FOR SERIES 2 AND 4! :)
on 23 May 2013
I have had this book out of the library on a number of occasions, and I still want my own copy. The book, as the title explains, contains a form of the scripts for all episodes of the first season of (revived) Doctor Who starring Christopher Eccleston and Billie Piper. I say a form of scripts because there are slight differences between what we read here, and what we see on the television. They explain that sometimes between the script, and it being filmed changes occur. One struck me as a bit odd. In the episode "Rose"; when they are in the flat the Doctor says "What's that then, have you got a cat?" In the many versions of the shooting scripts, the line is "Who's that then, have you got a cat?" Now, it's like didn't anyone involved in the process realise that "What's that then?" is a far better line, and makes more sense?. Highlights include Rose, The Unquiet Dead, the empty child/the Doctor dances and the three Dalek episodes (Dalek, Bad Wolf/Parting of the ways). The end of the world is the best of rest, with the 3 Slitheen epsiodes (World War 3/Aliens of London, Boomtown), the Long Game and my least favourite Father's Day coming in last. I naturally, read the Doctor's lines. The writer's write about what motivated them to write the script, and there are photographs of the individual episodes as well. All in all. it's a fabulous insight into how scripts are built up, and a must have purchase for any self respecting Doctor Who fans. Excellent.
on 22 November 2005
This book is a "must have" for any DOCTOR WHO fan. The scripts are well written, with attention given to plot and character development. Not quite the Doctor(s) from the classic series, this new Who works very well in the 21st century. With over 1,000 stills, this book is a great companion & introduction to the new series.
on 24 June 2011
No hyperbole. The 5 star reviews are no exaggeration. A great big chunky tome with all 13 episodes of the 2005 series of Doctor Who in a very readable screenplay form. Obviously great for Who fans dipping into their favourite scenes, it's essential reading for anyone interested in TV writing. These scripts are the final drafts signed off and taken in front of the cameras, but prior to the edit suite process. Combined with the each writer's introduction to his episode (as frank and funny about what worked as what didn't), we get fabulous insight into just how you turn words into magic and bring back a much loved show in the best way possible.
Now we just need the next five!
on 31 May 2013
This book is absolutely brilliant. A lot bigger then expected! about 511 glossy pages full of the scripts from series 1 of Doctor Who. Each page also has little screenshots of the scene that your reading, which helps with visualization of the scene and the episode. Before each episode script, there is a chapter point with a foreward from the writer. This book is so interesting and gives you a real insight to how the show is put together. I recommend this to any Doctor Who fan. Well worth the money, Amazon gives you a great discount. It would be great if they could create ones for the other series' as well, however after all this time it seems unlikely.
on 18 April 2010
I remember getting this for Christmas five years ago and spending a good few hours reading through it and I must say it is absolutely brilliant. The plots for each episode are really entertaining and interesting and there are lots of pictures from the episodes in this book. if you are a Doctor who fan,then I would recommend this book, I reckon you will not be dissapointed with this product.
on 21 March 2015
A huge scriptbook on the first series of the NuWho - featuring, as the title suggests - all the episodes - plus small notes on each episode!

Its 10 Years since Russell T. Davies brought Doctor Who back so what better way to celebrate it than by buying this book!

Its just a pity the BBC didn't produce Script books for each season!
on 10 May 2013
The book's in amazing condition, exactly what I was looking for, and -- and I probably just completely missed what kind of book it was -- it's a Hardcover! I love it, thanks so much~!!!

I just wish that basic shipping between us and uk wasn't slower than building and shipping a custom harp...
on 19 February 2014
It's good...I like it. It's interesting to see how the script translated across to TV. Only problem is that when I received the book the spine was torn. But as of the book itself if you are a die hard fan of the first series I recommend you check this book out.