1 Review

2.0 out of 5 stars Too much and not enough., 7 Mar. 2010
Book Critic (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Doctor Who: Emotional Chemistry (Paperback)
I've now read most of the EDA's; some have been good, some have been excellent and some just don't work for me - Emotional Chemistry is one of the latter.

The plot is all, here, and it's a tale stretched thin, across three time zones - which is, of course, a staple of Who-fic and not to be grumbled at, but in this story, each bit of the tale seems far too short, so that the story never gains any momentum making the style annoyingly choppy.

There are far too many characters and this, coupled with the complex, three-pronged plot, means you never get to know any of them well. The original figures get all the love, there's just not enough Doctor and Fitz and even Trix - who's new, we need to get to know her - none of them get any flesh on their bones. The Doctor felt the least important of all, he seemed tacked on, an afterthought. I was left with the distinct impression that the author wanted to write a novel about Aphrodite and her Sisters Across Time but was forced into writing a Who book instead, had tried to shoehorn The Doctor and his companions into his concept and didn't do it well.

It just didn't work, not for me. I like The Doctor and Fitz, I needed much more of them in my EDAs and what you got here instead didn't make up for the lack.

Doctor Who: Emotional Chemistry
Doctor Who: Emotional Chemistry by Simon A. Forward (Paperback - 6 Oct. 2003)
Used & New from: £7.50