4.0 out of 5 stars I'm lovin' it lovin' it lovin' it

3.0 out of 5 stars Pacy but confusing
Published on 6 July 2003 by rd99

3.0 out of 5 stars Pacy but confusing, 6 July 2003
This review is from: Doctor Who: Loving the Alien (Paperback)
Having enjoyed all of Perry and Tucker's previous Dr Who books, I was looking forward to this one - but was very disappointed. I had trouble concentrating on the book, and got confused about which character was which, and whose side they were on. There was so much double-dealing, and double characters from different dimensions, that I, frankly, got lost. That said, the book is not a complete disappointment: these writers really know how to capture the personalities of their "dream team" of the 7th Dr and Ace; they keep things moving at a cracking pace; the setting, rainy London of the late 50s, is well established; and they can perfectly create a real "Dr Who" atmosphere, complete with four-part structure and edge-of-your-seat cliffhangers. The problem, for me, with this book was its plot, which I found confusing and unengaging. I still think this novel is worth your time; but for a really 5-star 7th Dr and Ace novel, try the same writers' "Storm Harvest" - you won't be disappointed!

4.0 out of 5 stars I'm lovin' it lovin' it lovin' it, 28 April 2009
This review is from: Doctor Who: Loving the Alien (Paperback)
The best novels in this series are generally the ones featuring The Seventh Doctor (Sylvester McCoy) and Ace (Sophie Aldred). The period feel is well written; apart from the mediocre TV stories 'The Idiot's Lantern' and 'Delta and the Bannermen', the 1950s is a period that The Time Lord has rarely visited on screen or in print, and there is a lot of potential with postwar anarchy and the move towards the era of the teenager and Rock and Roll. McCoy's Doctor is in sprightly form and his teenage tearaway companion is her usual moody, damaged self. A decent read but far from the best in the series.

3.0 out of 5 stars Loving the Alien, 1 Jun 2006
This review is from: Doctor Who: Loving the Alien (Paperback)
Despite featuring my least favourite Doctor companion combo, I did enjoy this novel. It helps to have read Illegal Alien first as some of the characters are back in this one. A little slow to get going but it picks up quickly and moves along at a brisk pace. Characterisation of the 7th Doc is great, the same cannot be said for Ace who as usual is sullen, moody and not that sympathetic. Well worth reading.

4.0 out of 5 stars Loving the book... to a degree, 25 May 2009
SPOILERS AHOY!!!

I gave this four stars because once again it was a slick, fast paced, action packed, shocking at times, (with its gratuitous, but wholly necessary, description of violence and the aftermath of it), novel which once again also contained several three dimensional, fully fleshed out characters. However, the reason I didn't give this five stars is because, for me, the epilogue was a bit of a copout in comparison.

Still, I thoroughly enjoyed how the writers conveyed George Limb's desperation and, as the book progressed, how intense that desperation got. I also enjoyed how the writers showed that you can respect certain aspects of someone, on a non-emotional, detached level, but still abhor the motivations behind the actions they take. I thought Limb's motivations were completely selfish, but, in a way, understandable.

...and on that, I also enjoyed the introduction of a somewhat similar situation to the Limb character through the Mullen character and how they showed that, depending on the individual, how that certain situation is broached in a different manner. A very nice piece of ingenuity.

However, what I didn't like about the book was primarily the epilogue. In short, what I got from the epilogue was that Time had finally decided to manipulate itself in order to save one person - Ace. Not good at all, in my opinion. Admittedly it's a nice way in which to save the character, but considering that, in my opinion, it utterly contradicts all that we've come to learn about Time and Space from the Doctor's POV, it's a terribly bad save.

My theory on dimensions is that if a rift between, for instance, dimension one and dimension two is opened, then anything that comes from dimension one into dimension two will exist only until that rift is severed (and visa versa). So in order that `order' is to survive and that the dimensions don't descend into `chaos', all that does not belong in either dimension will cease to exist the moment the rift is severed - and the only reason the Doctor survives is because of his symbiotic relationship with the TARDIS - which I think is its own Time rift. *shrug*

So, all in all, I just wasn't fond of the idea that Time would shunt itself back to a place where Ace would not have met Jimmy and therefore would not have been killed, which, to be honest, was completely pointless because the Ace who survived at the end of the story was not even from the same dimension anyway. And on that, given what my theory of dimensions and what not is, I was also not sold on the idea that this now 7ft Ace who came from, for instance, dimension two could still survive in dimension one.

In short, I'm afraid the epilogue was a bit of a mess. You have Limb being buried in Ace's grave which she no longer occupies because of Time doing its shunting bit, but then if that is the case then why do we have a 7ft Ace at the end of the book, which suggests that it is the Ace who came from another dimension?

And you also have the `anomaly' suggestion which almost smacks of the truly awful "Bobby Ewing" syndrome (those old enough will know what I mean *grin*).

I suppose I could give it a lesser number of stars, but it really was a thoroughly enjoyable read which still managed to hold my attention right to the last words. It's just a shame that it's marginally spoilt by a fairly messy epilogue.

Hence the four stars but still a recommendation from me :-)

Doctor Who: Loving the Alien
Doctor Who: Loving the Alien by Robert Perry (Paperback - 5 May 2003)
Used & New from: 0.91