Format: Audio CD|Change

on 26 November 2009
I now live in a French speaking country and bought this course with CD's some years ago. My French is now good but I have to say not due to this particular course, it is not bad really, it just didn't suit me and I didn't find much relevent to what I actually needed in the early days. It starts off ok and will get you through the basics but I found it didn't meet my needs very well and for me it was quite boring. I must have listened to hours and hours of it in the car but for me it was too reminiscent of my attempts to learn languages in school which I failed miserably. It does provide a lot of background which is interesting and I used it as a reference book in the end to fill in some blanks in other courses, the CDs and associated TV programme are all useful in building up background and knowledge but as a stand alone course it didn't motivate me sufficiently and I was keen to learn so that wasn't the problem. What finally got me kicked off was the Michel Thomas courses which were great for building confidence quickly and enabled me to get serious with my French. Other resources I would recommend would be the coffee break french series available on line and a good native French teacher but make sure they are a qualified language teacher it makes a big difference. Oh and a final tip us brits, the accent is very important if you want to be understood so don't be shy, as my French teacher says imagine you are Gerard Depardieu speaking French not Michael Caine speaking French. Good luck with the language, it is worth it.
on 10 May 2010
excellent book to use along with the bbc language site , real authentic french source material up to date and great for teaching material
on 2 November 2010
I bought the French Experience CDs has I have started an adult learning course in French.Has I am in my fifties and last studied French over 40 years ago I have found the CDs to to be very good .The fact you can listen to native French speakers from various areas of France is a great help in pronunciation and accent .You do need to have the book and study guide as well to complement the CDs .
on 8 June 2012
I have just bought these items because on the two courses and tutor I have had they use these to suppliment there courses. So thought it would be good to get a heads up. I take the comment that they can be quiet to listen to. It is not a good idea to listen to the cd whilst driving as they take some concentrating and you forget what your supposed to be doing - like driving safely. Listen to some easier tapes like childrens ones. Or even some french songs. Once you have become confident in an area go back and visit the cd whilst driving. You will feel good and can still concentrate on driving. All the best folks!
on 4 February 2009
the speech on these c.d's is very quiet, not very good to listen too in the car. the french spoken is very quick, probably native speakers,so it is difficult to pick out relevant phrases. for teaching cd's I dont rate them.
on 21 February 2012
This is a good course with excellent audio support with clear explanations and authentic French speakers in authentic settings and at near normal speed. However, as a tutor of adult beginners, I have found it rather daunting for students who have never learned any French before. I would suggest that they at least have a look at the BBC website and get used to the video clips and introductory course there to prepare, or choose another gentler introduction such as 'Facon de Parler'.
on 9 May 2014
CDs very good as each individual exercise is a track and when copied to my IPod, it allows instant replay of tracks. Handy when travelling to work on bus.
on 19 August 2013
I have been taking French lessons for over a year, and my tutor uses the book so I thought i'd buy the cd's as well to play in the car since I spend 12hrs + a week driving. Unfortunately to use whilst on the move is not ideal, hence my scoring of 3 only. Each section on the cd is an exercise in the book so unless you can read the book at the same time it becomes difficult to impossible. I would still recommend and score higher however but only if you use as an addition with the book and not as a stand alone
on 26 October 2011
I am finding these CDs are helping me to revise my schooldays French, 50 years on. I listen to them while I am driving and while I do chores like ironing. I am using them alongside a course for which the French experience is the basis. Istudied French to "o" level and have never visited France. The course is giving me the enthusiasm to visit France and test my new found skills and confidence.
on 24 November 2013
Find the CD a useful adjunct to the course. I have it in my car so can listen on journeys