4.0 out of 5 stars Colourful and interesting.
Published on 8 Dec 2009 by Doh

3.0 out of 5 stars Buyer beware
Published on 3 Feb 2011 by Occasional Camper

3.0 out of 5 stars Buyer beware, 3 Feb 2011
This review is from: The French Experience 1 Coursebook (Paperback)
I purchased this book to accompany an adult evening course, and am finding the book useful and relevant. The course introduces the grammar gradually as you need it rather than in huge chunks. However, I bought the book via Amazon in September. The evening course has just got to Unit 6 (January) and I have discovered that my book has 17 pages missing. Obviously omitted at the binding stage as the book is otherwise perfect. Amazon are refusing to replace the book as it is outside their 30 day refund policy. I think this is unreasonable for faulty goods and especially a course book, and feel a book shop would be more sympathetic. SO, if you do buy this book, and I recommend it, via Amazon then be sure to check all the pages are present immediately on receipt.

4.0 out of 5 stars Colourful and interesting., 8 Dec 2009
This review is from: The French Experience 1 Coursebook (Paperback)
This book is the first and most basic level in the French Experience series and seems to be commonly used by colleges offering adult evening classes in French. Starting off with introductions e.g. saying hello and what your name is. It then goes on to the usual basic concepts such as shopping, ordering food, booking into a hotel, etc. Whilst this isn't the most intensive French course I've seen, it is one of the most enjoyable. There are plenty of interesting facts and photos to help lighten the burden of learning a new language. In each section there are also a number of activities and exercises to help you monitor your progress and practice what you have learnt. At the end is a grammar section and a French-English dictionary which frustratingly didn't cover all the words used in the texts so a good dictionary is very useful.

In conjunction with this book, there are a number of dialogue CDs, an activity book with additional exercises as well as a series of television programmes that you can record. These all help to improve the learning experience but I would say only the CDs are really essential. Unfortunately the speech on the CDs is fast and difficult to follow, which I think is a mistake at this level. Just in case you haven't realised, the additional CDs and activity book are not included with this book and need to be bought separately or as part of a complete package.

Overall I have enjoyed using this book/CD course, although I was using them in conjunction with an evening class. There is a balanced amount of study and entertainment which is important as it's a good idea to have a bit of light relief now and again. After all, studying is more effective if it's enjoyable. I have to say though that when it comes to learning a new language the best way is to take an evening class. You need to interact with other people to build confidence and there is no substitute for having someone who can speak French fluently listen to your pronunciation. You can learn a lot from books but they have their limits.

4.0 out of 5 stars useful book, 4 Feb 2009
This review is from: The French Experience 1 Coursebook (Paperback)
very useful book. contains loads of info about France and plenty of exercises and words.Something to work through on your own or in a french class. You do need the cd's for pronounciation and they are a bit disappointing as the speech is so fast it is difficult to pick up.

4.0 out of 5 stars French for Beginners, 6 Aug 2011
This review is from: The French Experience 1 Coursebook (Paperback)
Used it for years to teach beginners French. Good structure but now a bit dated. Can't find anything more modern that is better though.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good book to learn intermediate French!, 24 Oct 2010
This review is from: The French Experience 1 Coursebook (Paperback)
This book offers the opportunity to understand and learn aspects of french conversation not always found in others. Taking a french evening class with this as the recommended textbook, I bought it on its own. There are, however, other items to assist the use of this book which include another one with practical excercises French Experience 1: Activity Book and cds French Experience 1 CDs 1-4. Owning the complete set would be very useful, especially for somone who cannot get to classes. Obviously a grasp of basic french is needed to use, and benefit from, this book. Tip: There are TWO issues of this book. I recommend that you buy the later one with "New Edition" in a short red bar almost top right of its cover. It is also recognisable by the dark blue bar with text along the bottom.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not my favourite french course, 26 Nov 2009
Maximus "Max" (Geneva, Switzerland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The French Experience 1 Coursebook (Paperback)
I now live in a French speaking country and bought this course with CD's some years ago. My French is now good but I have to say not due to this particular course, it is not bad really, it just didn't suit me, but I can imagine it might work in the classroom situation. It starts off ok and will get you through the basics but I found it didn't meet my needs very well and for me it was quite boring. I must have listened to hours and hours of it in the car but for me it was too reminiscent of my attempts to learn languages in school which I failed miserably. It does provide a lot of background which is interesting and I used it as a reference book in the end to fill in some blanks in other courses, the CDs and associated TV programme are all useful in building up background and knowledge but as a stand alone course it didn't motivate me sufficiently and I was keen to learn so that wasn't the problem. What finally got me kicked off was the Michel Thomas courses which were great for building confidence quickly and enabled me to get serious with my French. Other resources I would recommend would be the Coffee Break French series available on line and a good native French teacher but make sure they are a qualified language teacher it makes a big difference. Oh and a final tip for us brits; the accent is very important if you want to be understood so don't be shy, as my French teacher says imagine you are Gerard Depardieu speaking French not Michael Caine speaking French. Good luck with the language, it is worth it.

3.0 out of 5 stars French experience, 27 Dec 2009
This review is from: The French Experience 1 Coursebook (Paperback)
I have completed 1 year beginners French at night school, and purchased this book and the CD's because the tutor asvised me that she uses it with her 2nd year students. I wasn't able to enrole for a 2nd year and so am working through the book at home. I am finding the exercises very useful revision, and the cartoons full of humour. I have also bought the activity book that goes with this course and am enjoying the extra practice.

That said, I feel that I would not have liked to start this course as a complete beginner. I started with "Talk French" at night school and feel that it is much more apropriate for a complete beginner. the French experience CD starts with a series of sentences which a complete beginner would not understand. And expects you to pick out the words which you have just been taught.

2.0 out of 5 stars not as good as the spanish equivalent, 10 Nov 2009
John Jacobs (uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The French Experience 1 Coursebook (Paperback)
I purchased this book hoping it would be in the same format as the BBC spanish equivalent.Unfortunately it is strongly linked to the CD and does not make a very good "stand alone" read for those who like to study in the traditional way.In fact I have not been able to find such a book currently being published.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good and up to date, 27 Oct 2013
This review is from: The French Experience 1 Coursebook (Paperback)
I bought this book as a coursebook for my French class. It is well written and gives good information about France as well as activities to learn the language by. My French tutor has the recordings which go with the book. If you are learning alone at home you will need to buy the discs to go with the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars French coursebook, 19 Sep 2011
Teresa Molloy (Belfast, Antrim United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The French Experience 1 Coursebook (Paperback)
THis came in excellent condition and very promptly.I had high expectations of this product as I always have when ordering from Amazon and I was not disappointed.

The French Experience 1 Coursebook
The French Experience 1 Coursebook by Daniele Bourdais (Paperback - 26 Jun 2003)