5.0 out of 5 stars This story can be listened to again and again.
This tape must be almost worn out the number of times our son, 8, has listened to it. Just William is beautifully read by Martin Jarvis. He evokes memories of reading of the story myself but more importantly has enthused our son into reading the books for himself. William's antics appeal to a boy's sense of adventure and mischief.
Published on 21 Jan 2002

1.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't hold the attention of our 6 & 9 year olds in the car
Published on 10 Jan 2002

5.0 out of 5 stars This story can be listened to again and again., 21 Jan 2002

5.0 out of 5 stars Just Wonderful!, 4 Sep 2000
This review is from: Just William: No.1 (BBC Radio Collection) (Audio Cassette)
Martin Jarvis manages to capture the character of the eponymous William perfectly. All the voices he gives the characters are, I'm sure, just as Richmal Crompton intended them.
Having read all the 'Just William' books as a child, even now I sometimes re-read them, it is wonderful to be able to listen to them reproduced so faithfully.
Superb. More please.

5.0 out of 5 stars How to make a car journey shorter, 10 April 2002
This review is from: Just William: No.1 (BBC Radio Collection) (Audio Cassette)
Sometimes when you read a story or put a video on for the kids for the umpteenth time you try and force yourself to remember what a blessing that it is and how lucky that you are to be a parent.
When you put on this "wizard bang" classic, as dated and stale as a six week old french stick, you think that it is a blessing.
Jarvis breathes life into these dated stories with their silly plots and ridiculous language and makes them vital and alive. All the family enjoy a long drive when these tapes are playing.
I don't know if my nine year old daughter will be telling her school mates how much she likes them though, but in the privacy of the car she loves it. My six year old daughter, less self conscious, is an open fan.
Oh I say old boy, they really are splendid.

5.0 out of 5 stars an all round accound., 29 Dec 2000
This review is from: Just William: No.1 (BBC Radio Collection) (Audio Cassette)
This book features all of the comicle characters we know and love. Just one of these sensational storys is "The Show," and there is just as much fun and frolic in this one as the rest!

1.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't hold the attention of our 6 & 9 year olds in the car, 10 Jan 2002
This review is from: Just William: No.1 (BBC Radio Collection) (Audio Cassette)
I thought tales about a naughty school boy would go down well with my 9 year old son who is like that himself but whenever I play it on long journeys he and his sister (aged 6) never listen for more than about 5 minutes so I've never heard enough to judge it from an adult perpective! It seems a pity as Martin Jarvis is a good reader but perhaps not for modern children. They are quite capable of paying attention to Stephen Fry reading Harry Potter for hours on end, though!

Just William: No.1 (BBC Radio Collection)
Just William: No.1 (BBC Radio Collection) by Richmal Crompton (Audio Cassette - 2 Aug 1990)
Used & New from: £0.95