4.0 out of 5 stars Surprised at the above
Published on 17 Nov. 2003 by Charles Boot

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing soap opera of serious subject
I was disappoimted at this trivialisation of what I expected to be a serious representation of Pepys diaries covering some significant events in history. Each side of each tape lasted only one half hour and felt like an historical soap opera.
Not for the serious history buff.
Published on 25 Nov. 2001 by upperease@cs.com

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprised at the above, 17 Nov. 2003
Charles Boot (High Wycombe, Bucks) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Diary of Samuel Pepys: A Radio 4 Classic Serial (BBC Classic Collection) (Audio Cassette)
I really enjoyed this series when first put out by the BBC. It is superbly acted and the different characters spring to life, clearly differentiated. It reminded me of the brilliance of the diary and made me want to reread it. It includes all aspects of Pepys’ character and brings out his humanity. The story of his work at the navy office underlines the narrative, as it should. The best listening on long car journeys, a superb story vividly retold.

4.0 out of 5 stars History can actually be fun!, 10 Sept. 2009
I'm not normally one for writing reviews - but I feel this production should really be defended. I too was surprised by the 1st review, but I concede the point that this dramatisation is not what many would expect from this subject! The description and blurb on the box is misleading in this respect - and this is the only reason I have given 4 and not 5 stars!

History, as most school children will atest to, is often a dry and boring subject. What this play has attempted to do is make it entertaining! In that respect, it certainly is. I suppose it is a case of horses for courses here. If you are not a history buff, and like me, you know of Samuel Pepys, only because you were taught at school that he was the diarist who described the Plague and the Great Fire of London - then this actually gives you a good view into the life and times of this man! And what an exciting man he was!
OK - this is a lighthearted look at the subject - but this is first and foremost a piece of entertainment, and should be seen as such! When first broadcast on Radio 4, that was exactly how it was advertised!
The acting is superb. The play is witty, sexy and fun - but what stood out for me most of all was the beauty of the the language and turn of phrase!

If you want all the facts regarding Samuel Pepys life and times, there are his diaries and numerous text books on the subject; this is not for you. But if you want a marvelous piece of entertainment, with a little bit of history from one of the most exciting eras - then you can't go wrong with this! "Make shift Sir!"

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific adaptation of a brilliantly amusing, timeless book, 31 May 2013
I bought this for my daughter, an artist, who likes to listen to audio books while she works. I had heard it on Radio 4 and loved it. It is abridged and dramatised, and is not the whole diary. She has adored it — sadly now finished it and wonders whether to buy an unabridged version. The diary itself is fascinating and funny, a wonderful glimpse of 16th century life by a brilliant observer and commentator on life — his own and other people's. It's almost as good as being there. This particular version might be hard to beat. If you don't know about Pepys and have never read his diary, I would recommend this as being a great version to start from. Lively and compelling from the first few words.

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely well produced. I have to say that the ..., 27 Oct. 2014
Mr. C. A. Rixen (Essex England) - See all my reviews
Extremely well produced. I have to say that the price on here is quite outrageous. I have just bought it on ebay for £2.77

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing soap opera of serious subject, 25 Nov. 2001
upperease@cs.com (West Sussex, England) - See all my reviews
Not for the serious history buff.

The Diary of Samuel Pepys: A Radio 4 Classic Serial (BBC Classic Collection)
Used & New from: £19.90