4.0 out of 5 stars An excellent accompaniment to the documentary series, 27 Aug 2003
Aaron Gatt Floridia (Houston, TX United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Blue Planet (Hardcover)
The book is designed to accompany the BBC documentary series The Blue Planet. However, it certainly deserves to be considered on its own as a very well produced book on the natural history of our marine environment. It is divided into the chapters that mirror the documentary series and there is a wealth of information that is not discussed in the TV program. The photographic images of the deep sea inhabitants and the open ocean fish are incredible.
The text is very readable, informative and scientific and up to the usual BBC standard.
The photos , diagrams and print quality are superb. I do not particularly like the insets that are distributed throughout the pages to focus in on a particular subject or point. Although they are very informative, they tend to distract the reader from his/her train of thought.
A must for anyone interested in the natural history of our oceans.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another fascinating adventure in nature, 2 Jan 2003
Mr Gary E Whorwood (Auckland, New Zealand) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Blue Planet (Hardcover)
I also have not seen the TV series, but I from reading this book, I can see that the BBC have produced yet another fascinating adventure for us. This book highlights so many amazing facts, but best of all, it is not just the run-of-the-mill stuff but all sorts of information and pictures that I have never encountered elsewhere.
This does a great job of maintaining the tradition set by earlier series, especially those involving Sir David Attenborough. My favourite parts were the chapters devoted to the bizarre deep sea creatures and the photos of cute baby penguins and seals, but also the explanations of how our climate is affected by the ocean.
This book can be used as an interesting read, an occasional dip, or as a reference for specific questions. I still prefer my Trials of Life book, but the Blue Planet is still an engrossing volume.

5.0 out of 5 stars More than just an accompaniment to the television series., 29 Nov 2001
This review is from: The Blue Planet (Hardcover)
This book is absolutely brilliant. The exquisite photography accompanying the infomative text is an absolute must for anyone who enjoyed the television series. As a student I found it very interesting but it is designed for anyone of any age with an interest in the subject matter. The BBC did a grand job on the series and the book emphasises this ten fold. Well done the beeb

5.0 out of 5 stars Not quite as good as the TV!, 27 Sep 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: The Blue Planet (Hardcover)
Well I was seduced by the hype and duly tuned in to the TV and was smitten. TV being the ephemeral thing that it is I thought I'd try the book and it's great. The text's informative and the photos beyond compare. Buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Book for one and all., 5 Nov 2002
This review is from: The Blue Planet (Hardcover)
Not having seen the TV programme probably puts me in a minority, but having heard all the hype I bought the book regardless. It is impossible to over-stress the merits of this publication. It could be used for entertaining young children, educating budding young naturalists, a topical reference book for teachers, scientists and lay-persons alke, or simply a book for the coffee table to entertain guests and provide help answering these tricky green Trivial Pursuit questions!
It is bueatifully presented, both scientifically and asthetically, and will provide endless hours of enjoyment because you will always return to look at your favourite pictures time and time again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent - Must Have!, 3 Jan 2003
This review is from: The Blue Planet (Hardcover)
This is an absolutely beautiful book. There is an abundance of beautiful images of creatures from shrimp to great whites, algae to sharks. If it lives in the sea, its in this book. The majority of the pictures are breath-taking and are accompanied by informative text about the photograph. For anyone who loves nature or deep-sea animals (Even penguins get a mention) this book is a must have. A perfect accompaniement to the series, or perfect on its own, this is a must have for anyone!
I just have to say again, the pictures are beautiful and the layout of the book is great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Monster book, 9 Sep 2013
SBno1 - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Blue Planet (Hardcover)
This must be one of the biggest and chunkiest BBC books that I own and well worth the money. 7 chapters, each broken down into 3-4 sub-sections. It is engaging and educational. Littered with beautiful photography it takes you around the seas, out into the oceans and deep down where sunlight cannot reach. It lacks the quantity of full page high quality images of some of the other BBC books, but I guess that leaves more room for reading material - I do like my pictures!

The book starts with a foreword by the infamous Sir David Attenborough then you have a layout map of the oceans to give you a sense of where you are when reading. As you read you are given topic links to other pages. So if for eg there is a mention of a whale, a topic link is shown and directs you to another page further reading. It can have you jumping around a book, but then this is just as much a reference book as a cover to cover reading book.

If you are a fan of the BBC series of shows, I would recommend building up a collection of books to go with them. I have mentioned this in previous reviews; don't overlook the market place for second hand books. These type of books tend to get read once and you can pick up some very good quality copies for a lot less than new.

5.0 out of 5 stars An outstanding book and worth every penny, 26 Oct 2004
This review is from: The Blue Planet (Hardcover)
I read this book in great detail and found it very out-standing. I have brought all David attenborough's books as I must admit they are all worth every penny. A man who has had 40 years of experience with mammals, birds, plants and fish, explains with great details about the wonder's of life on earth. In my opinion "The Blue planet" is the best book from this collection and a must buy for those interested of the life which lives on our Blue Planet. The illustrations are just amazing and it gave my great pleasure reading this book. Buy with confidence

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't stop!, 16 Nov 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: The Blue Planet (Hardcover)
This is a superb accompaniment to the TV series but don't stop with it - if you are hooked, then I very strongly recommend Robert Kunzig's "Mapping the Deep", which covers rather different ground - the amazing story of oceanography. It's a book as compelling as "Longtitude" for us underwater enthusiasts.

5.0 out of 5 stars JUST REWARD FOR THE TEAM'S HARD WORK, 28 Sep 2001
This review is from: The Blue Planet (Hardcover)
Quite simply an astonishing book; which compliments the BBC series perfectly. My children aged 7 & 5 enjoy both the series and the book immensely.

The Blue Planet
The Blue Planet by Martha Holmes (Hardcover - 27 Sep 2001)
Used & New from: 0.01