5.0 out of 5 stars Buy this book!
Published on 25 Jan 2000

3.0 out of 5 stars Good on the whole
Published on 7 Jan 2000 by pjw106@york.ac.uk

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy this book!, 25 Jan 2000
This review is from: Delia's How to Cook Book Two (Hardcover)
I have only recently become more enthusiastic about cooking and have never bought cookery books before. I actually wasn't going to buy this book as I assumed it would be very dull and simplistic and wanted the River Cafe cookbook. In the end I decided to buy both but never expected to use the Delia Smith. I am however really pleased with the book, it is far from boring and their are many recipes suitable for entertaining which are really original. It does read as though you know nothing but I find all the recipes very well explained, for example they tell you how long you need to prpare the ingredients ahead and to preheat the oven/grill! For anyone who wants a foolpoof set of recipes which create quite impressive meals I really recomend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best around, 20 Jan 2000
This review is from: Delia's How to Cook Book Two (Hardcover)
I love to cook and have used Delia's books for many years. I find it difficult to be objective about her, as she has always been my favourite from a young age. However, I still believe the series of "How to Cook" and the associated books to be unequalled. Many professional chefs criticise these books as an insult to the intelligence. They are really missing the point. Delia does what she does best. She introduces cookery in an enjoyable, easily approachable way, to those who would otherwise be terrified of the idea of using a kitchen for that purpose. At the same time, she provides great cook books for people who have experience of such matters. The extremely delicious results speak for themselves. I would recommend buying book one first, but apart from that one qualification, this is an excellent book and along with book one should be a first choice for those intending to become more proficient in cookery, whether from scratch, or building on previous knowledge and experience. Great recipes for people who love their food but don't feel compelled to be involved in the pretension which often surrounds food.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Cook book, 21 Feb 2000
This review is from: Delia's How to Cook Book Two (Hardcover)
I was very pleased to receive this book for Christmas. To me, Delia's a hero, I just love her recipes - they're are not necessarily for people wanting to diet, but they are simple and very delicious. This book makes me feel nostalgic, because before I left home, my mum used to cook recipes from her previous books. I will now continue to cook her recipes for my children.
P.S the shepherd's pie is a firm favourite in my family - it is better than any supermarket bought one.

5.0 out of 5 stars 27 year old son at first a little insulted!, 19 April 2000
P. Dutton (Groningen, NL) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Delia's How to Cook Book Two (Hardcover)
At first our 27 year old son was not too happy to receive Books 1 and 2 for his birthday present but is now fully won over. Two reasons for the conversion are the many tips that you normally learn by trial and error and because all the recipes work.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good on the whole, 7 Jan 2000
This review is from: Delia's How to Cook Book Two (Hardcover)
The book begins with an inventory for your store cupboard, and procedes through meat and veg to cheese and chocolate. While there are some good helpful ideas (how to cook fish for example) I'm not sure how realistic some of her aims are. She crusades against factory chicken, listing a couple of manufacturers she finds acceptable, but how many of us can afford the expensive products she reccommends. She frequently refers to recipes in book one, so I feel that one without the other is pretty useless.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for all beginner and not-so-beginner cooks, 17 Mar 2000
This review is from: Delia's How to Cook Book Two (Hardcover)
These books should be presented to every student on graduation day so that at long last they can stop eating baked beans and pot noodles every day. Delia takes you through the learning to cook process easily and interestingly. I used both books to make the 'perfect' roast dinner and it was absolutely fab. The Shepherds Pie was delicious, I made enough for 4 and my boyfriend ate for 3! A must for all beginnner and not so beginner cooks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delia does it again!, 10 Feb 2000
This review is from: Delia's How to Cook Book Two (Hardcover)
I own loads and loads of cookery books and Delia remains tops in my opinion for excellent advice and recipes. I bought the book last week and have read it from cover to cover.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delia has done it again!, 13 April 2000
This review is from: Delia's How to Cook Book Two (Hardcover)
A great book, full of interesting but easy to follow recipes - I've not had one fail yet. Some old favourite dishes, and some more unusual. Great stuff, but its not doing my diet any good!

5.0 out of 5 stars Not quite beginners, but pretty failsafe, 12 Jan 2000
This review is from: Delia's How to Cook Book Two (Hardcover)
I LOVE food and cooking, but who has read and can confidently critique a recipe book? Not me.....!!,
but Delia appears to have taken on board the criticism of book one and assumed some basic kitchen knowledge. I am not quite sure that Delia's interpretations of recipes are entirely accurate, nor the illustrations exactly what one might expect from the pukka dish, but judging from the lists of ingredients and cooking techniques they will provide an extremely satisfying dish.
My impression is that Delia is not restaurant chef material, not that she claims to be, nor should I or you expect her to be - she cooks for a domestic environment. However if book one is anything to go by, you will have extremely failsafe recipes and should have no qualms in trying the recipes as I have done.
If anything, it should give you the courage to experiment with recipes. My view and experience is that recipes should not be a bible - they should be a guide, trying the recipes will give you confidence to experiment and try something different - Anything to do with the texture and volume e.g. rice, flour, leave in, else drop the ingredients you don't like e.g. chillies might not be to your taste, but you really like ginger. Include something you do like and drop those that you do not. You will have a ball trying all the recipes out and experimenting. Just don't substitute chilli for ginger in the lemon and ginger cake - I haven't tried it, but experience tells me that it will not work. Just Do it - taste and adapt along the way.......
For the Amazon price you can't go wrong - I recently paid closer to 20 for a book devoted to sauces by a famous chef - you still need the ideas where to apply the sauces, whereas Delia tempts you towards a complete dish.
I cannot recommend the book highly enough for the ideas. However I strongly suggest that most recipes ARE treated only as ideas, not that the recipes are wong - look at your store cupboard and experiment. That is the only way you 'Learn to Cook' - by trying things yourself to see how they work together. If you have already bought book one you will be pleased to see that the new recipes are much more interesting and are probably much more ready for the experimentation I suggest.
I still give it 5 stars because the recipes seem to all work - give yourself 6 stars if you create your own better recipe.......

5.0 out of 5 stars Every home should own a copy of Delia Smith's How To Cook, 12 Oct 2009
This review is from: Delia's How to Cook Book Two (Hardcover)
When I first started cooking using recipe books many years ago, Delia Smith had just released her How to Cook books, which were fantastic. What I really like about the Delia books is that every recipe is accompanied with a photograph of what the finished dish looks like. This is great as you can find something you like the look of and get cooking.

The instructions are clear, concise and easy to follow and I have never cooked anything yet that does not resemble the photograph. Even though I would now consider myself to be a more advanced cook, I still go back to the Delia books for simple, tasty and mouth watering recipes.

Strong buildings are always built on good foundations and that is exactly what these books provide.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xad0de384)

Delia's How to Cook Book Two
Delia's How to Cook Book Two by Delia Smith (Hardcover - Dec 1999)
15.10