5.0 out of 5 stars The foundations of cookery
This really is a wonderful book. It goes right back to the foundations of cookery, upon which everything else is built. I have listened to people scoff at the basics being taught here, but when pressed - they knew as little as I did.
Published on 21 Nov. 1998

3.0 out of 5 stars FAR TOO COMPLICATED FOR BEGINNERS
I HAVE DELIA'S COMPLETE COOKERY COURSE WHICH I HAVE HAD FOR AROUND 20 YEARS. IT IS SO MUCH BETTER THAN HER HOW TO COOK BOOKS AND I WOULD RECOMMEND IT TO ANYONE FROM A COMPLETE BEGINNER TO SOMEONE MORE EXPERIENCED. HER HOW TO COOK BOOKS ARE FULL OF THINGS YOU WOULDN'T REALLY WANT TO COOK AND I THINK ITS TOO COMPLICATED FOR INEXPERIENCED COOKS.NEEDLESS TO SAY I HAVE GIVEN...
Published on 20 Oct. 2009 by Julia Burgoyne

5.0 out of 5 stars The foundations of cookery, 21 Nov. 1998
This review is from: Delia's How to Cook Book One (Hardcover)
Like so many younger people, I have fallen into the (bad) habit of relying on frozen meals, or carry outs. This book is ideal for (re)introducing the skills of good cooking. To analogise, once you have learned the arithmetic you should be able to cope with the calculus to come.
It isn't just a training guide, it easily stands on its own as an excellent cook book with some really good recipes. I'm looking forward to Book Two.

5.0 out of 5 stars Teaches you How to Cook, 27 Dec. 2005
D. Mohanani "Dil" (Sri Lanka) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Delia's How to Cook Book One (Hardcover)
This book is fantastic. It explains everything clearly in minute detail. Was able to make the leek and goats cheese tart that looked exactly like the picture and tasted wonderful. My mother ate some and gave me the highest praise. I love Delia, because her recipes are foolproof, clear and relaible and are guaranteed to give you yummy results.

5.0 out of 5 stars Where wouold we be without Delia?, 5 Sept. 2006
This review is from: Delia's How to Cook Book One (Hardcover)
A truly rare thing, a chef who is not too arrogant to write a cookbook which actually explains in the simplest terms how to cook every ingridient, assuming you have no knowledge at all. I always found with other cookbooks that they just threw a bunch of long words at you and some complex ingridient lists and told you to get on with it. What if you dont know what sautéed means? not only does Delia exlain every step in great detaill, but also, like all good chefs, her passion for the food comes oozing through the narrative, and there a sections dedicated to the reasons WHY things like durum wheat pasta, proper bread, and organic chicken matter and taste so much better, while being a lot better for you. Also there is an awesome photo of her cat inside. This book got me so into cooking that it is now a passion that I have and enjoy every day.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sod Nigella!, 8 Nov. 2007
This review is from: Delia's How to Cook Book One (Hardcover)
This book is fantastic- does exactly what it says on the tin and more. Delia does more than teaches you how to cook- she understands WHY you can't cook, and steers you away from a pitfall before you walk into it. We've all tried to follow a recipe and it's screwed up, but Delia explains the techniques properly to begin with. I've never made one thing out of this book that has gone wrong.

The difference between this and all the other cookery books I've read is that Delia doesn't say "beat the egg whites"- she tells you HOW to beat the egg whites correctly and warns you against scenarios where you make a mess of it, so that you can continue with the recipe. I couldn't cook anything before I read this book, and I couldn't understand why, but Delia's simple hints made me realise potentially disasterous things i was doing wrong, that were resulting in my cooking being dodgy at best!

Her recipes are simple and down-to-earth and with as much scope for making a quick snack as for making a 3 course meal. Her ingredients are not obscure, and unlike Nigella, does not expect you to have a huge American fridge with an ice crusher to hand, letalone a walk in larder full of delicacies you discovered on your year out in Italy whilst at Oxford. Delia's recipes are for real people and focus on mastering basic ingredients like eggs, flour and potatoes, and the recipes are made with things you're likely to have knocking about the house.

Incidentally, I just made her 3 cheese souffle omlette- I did it at midnight and it took me 10 mins at the most- that's how convenient a lot of her recipes are. Like others, i credit delia with teaching me how to cook. This book is great- buy it! That's all!

5.0 out of 5 stars From Start To Finish, 10 Nov. 2006
This review is from: Delia's How to Cook Book One (Hardcover)
I read this book along with the two other parts and although I already know how to cook this book taught me some things that I didn't previously know. It doesn't just cover recipes, but it goes into detail about different types of ingredients and freshnesses and when to use certain ingredients. One of my favourite parts is how to check the freshness of an egg in water and what they are best used for at each stage.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!!!, 11 Feb. 2002
This review is from: Delia's How to Cook Book One (Hardcover)
Being a 34- year old mother of two who loves cooking,I always classified myself as "knowing how to cook". Having read Delia's "How to cook" made me realise that I did not have proper knowledge of even the basics. She is absolutely great and I really enjoyed for the first time eating home-made bread,omellettes and some other simple, easy to prepare dishes. It was the best value for money for any of the cookery books I bought so far.

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant back to basics book, 1 Dec. 1999
This review is from: Delia's How to Cook Book One (Hardcover)
Please, please, please ignore the bad reviews - this book is fantastic! It is basic but it's perfect for those who have very little cooking skills or even those who want to take cooking right back to the basics. I thought this book was brilliant and can't wait for the next in the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't Bother Loooking at This-Click Buy NOW!, 21 Jun. 2000
This review is from: Delia's How to Cook Book One (Hardcover)
This book is wonderful! I am a complete beginner and so the bits on scrambling eggs were wonderful:)! I especially like the way it starts at the beginning and moves on by difficulty. I read this book cover-to-cover in the first 2 hours after I got it. If I could give it 10 stars,I would.

5.0 out of 5 stars All bow to Queen Delia, 24 July 2001
This review is from: Delia's How to Cook Book One (Hardcover)
This book is fantastic for going back to basics. I didn't realise how bad my cooking was until started using the tips in this book. I didn't know potatoes were supposed to have flavour.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bread and cake recipes simple, easy to follow..., 19 April 2005
Caroline Henderson "caroscot" (Brussels) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Delia's How to Cook Book One (Hardcover)
Yes, you CAN make your own bread, I've made the brown bread recipe many times now and when you say to people you made it yourself, they are always impressed!
The cakes are wonderful too, using Mascarponi cheese as a filling is a great idea, I've stopped using cream and...the coconut cake, oh my, it takes time but is so very, very good...!!
Highly recommended especially for beginners!

Delia's How to Cook Book One
Delia's How to Cook Book One by Delia Smith (Hardcover - 12 Oct. 1998)