on 20 June 2011
I was lucky enough to purchase this book when it was first published and even luckier as it is signed by the man himself!
He was my 'idol' in the gardening world and I watched Gardeners World just for him.

It was interesting to hear Alan Titchmarsh at the Chelsea flower show this year reciting almost word for word this book as it seems that the cottage garden is fashionable again.
The sad thing was that not once was Geoff Hamilton mentioned.
I have a cottage garden and still use this book.

If you love cottage gardens, want to make one or just want to read about the history of the cottage garden this is the book for you.

I have read it over and over as it is not only handy for tips but you have garden layouts, plants, vegetables and herbs, from laying a cottage path to making a bench and much more.

It is a book that will never just sit on the shelf with all the other gardening books, it is more than a reference book it is a great read with very down to earth
advice.
If you want a beautiful cottage garden don't buy any other book this one has it all.
on 8 November 2001
This has to be the most dedicated, awe-inspiring, gardening book that i have ever read. From the Artisans garden to the Gentlemans garden and all the gardens visited in between... Jeff Hamilton makes it all so easy to achieve. With small plots to die for and plants in abundance, who could resist having a go? country cottage gardens made for YOU.
on 17 April 2012
As expected from Geoff Hamilton, excellent. This delivers exactly what you would expect from such a sadly missed master. It is superbly written and illustrated and provides exactly the information needed or wanted to create a beautiful garden.
This is a must have purchase if you are interested in cottage gardening.
Can't recommend it highly enough.
on 29 March 2010
I found this book not just for an imformative read but a delight for a brouse. Plenty of lovely photographs, illustrations and designs. Good solid advise from such a worthy scource.
on 18 January 2014
I have waited a long time for this book and it didn't disappoint. Full of information, helpful hints and design suggestions. I especially liked all the information he put in about how the Cottage Garden came about. Typical Geoff Hamilton.....down to earth, clear and concise descriptions.....I still miss this man.
on 21 May 2009
Marvellous book. A friend loaned me his copy a few years ago and I was very reluctant to return it. It's great to have it again - I've caught my daughter reading it and making notes!
Condition is excellent. What a find!
on 14 December 2013
Lovely book, with many ideas for planning and planting, and I cant wait to try the how to for the bee hive compost bin :-) very clear instructions and interesting read.
on 17 March 2014
I love cottage gardens and here the late master of the art of garden design shows how it can be done. Really enjoy just reading through this book and dreaming of what a garden could really be.
on 3 August 2013
I am a beginner at gardening, and have inherited a rather overgrown cottage style when I bought my Victorian terraced house. This book has definitely been the most useful I have bought. The book concentrates on two types of garden, the informal "artisan" garden and the more formal "gentleman's" garden and how to plan them. The largest section of the book concentrates on plants for different parts of the border. The style is informative but never dogmatic, and the author has a real passion and often talks about the history of the plants as well as how they should be used and how to care for them. There are hundreds of photos for inspiration too. A brilliant book on the subject!
on 23 June 2016
I'm sorry if this offends Geoff Hamilton fans, but this book is a waste of time!

It has some nice pictures of suitably messy cottage gardens, which is a great comfort to me as they look just like mine! However, the information is either actually wrong (calling Artemesia Powys Castle "Southernwood", which it is not) or missing (Lists of old and new apple varieties omitting Cox's Orange Pippin!) or simply too sparse to be of any real use. I don't like the way he sets the information about the various plants out: they aren't set out clearly in paragraphs clearly separated from each other (although there is an index), and there is too much necessary information about the plants he has missed. I also don't like the way most of the photos have a key to tell you which plants you are looking at, but some of the photos don't have a key or miss out some of the plants which I'd like to know about.

This book is typical of those produced by famous gardeners who sell the book purely on their name, rather than thorough research and exact detail.

Sorry Geoff - but the pictures are nice