5.0 out of 5 stars A Classic updated

Published 4 months ago by peter hart

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A Classic updated, 20 Nov 2004
Martin Barlow "mbarlo" (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
Most of the recipes are from her BBC edition of 1982. That original changed the way I made indian food forever, it was oustanding! It gave better techniques than the bulk methods used by most indian restaurants, but had only a few colour prints and looks dated now. This is bigger, full colour and best of all the recipes have been updated as have some of the techniques and there are a few new ones like the magnificent Shahjahani Raan. This and Raan Masaledar are dishes where a whole leg of lamb is marinaded then slow roasted. They are both worth the effort and this is a must have book. Believe me I've been making curries since the 60's.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Indian Cookbook Writer writes One of Her Best, 4 July 1998
By A Customer
I love Indian cuisine and I love Madhur Jaffrey. I have never cooked anything from one of her books that received anything but rave reviews. This book is one of her best, although they are all so great it is hard to pick one over another. Although I am a vegetarian, there is plenty in this book for me to cook. I am presently cooking my way through the book, and at a recent dinner party was told by a friend, that I consider to be a gourmet, that it was the best meal that he had ever eaten. Easy to use and spectacular results.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book on Indian Cuisine, 11 July 1999
By A Customer
Along with two of Julie Sahni's books, my husband and I really enjoy trying recipes from Madhur Jaffrey. The directions are simple, and she explains ingredients very well--we were beginners when we started and had no problem figuring out what she meant. Her recipe for lentils with garlic and onion is one of our favorite lentil dishes!

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have for indian food fans!, 9 April 1999
By A Customer
When i bought this book from Amazon.com, I had never cooked Indian food before, but since the reviews all looked good i decided to purchase it. Well, needless to says I was very impressed with the book! All the recepies I tried turned out great and I now use it at least twice a week. My only complaint would be with the weight mesurements (in Ounces) for some of the ingredients, but the end result more than outweights this minor anoyance. I strongly recommend this book to anybody interested in cooking great home made Indian meals.

5.0 out of 5 stars A magnificent cookbook, 5 Jan 1999
By A Customer
I think we have made every recipe in the book at least twice. The food available in the average Indian restaurant pales in comparison to the real thing, as found in the books of Madhur Jaffrey, Yamuna Devi, et al. Ms. Jaffrey's technique is especially appreciated. She leads you through all the steps and rarely leaves you hanging. Great advice, great recipes, great food.

5.0 out of 5 stars *THE* text on this up-and-coming cuisine. Truly outstanding, 7 July 1996
By A Customer
This long-classic text of Indian Cuisine is really a mustbuy. Ms. Jaffrey motivates the reader with several dozen pages of background, including interesting information on techniques, history, spices, and culture. Every recipe is a winner. Beautiful full-color exposition, with detailed instructions for each entree, appetizer, beverages, etc. While each of Ms. Jaffrey's cookbooks are outstanding, this one is really her flagship book. I give a sincere and hearty recommendation that anyone interested in learning this cuisine ought to obtain this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars An absolute Godsend!, 15 Dec 2009
Any modern Asian woman will tell you that she struggles to uphold the culinary excellence of the generation of women before her. I'm generalising here but our mothers largely focused on running a home whereas our generation of women work full time, have social lives, try to look good, keep up to date with current affairs, all while trying to look after the family and do the dreaded cooking.

Without any natural flair for cooking, I always struggled with it, finding it a mundane and tedious task, particularly because the end result was always so mediocre. BUT Madhur has changed all that. I'm kicking myself for not buying into her domestic Goddess thing a whole lot earlier. With both easy and complex recipes set out in idiot-proof steps, this is an almost 100% guarantee that your dishes will be tasty and impressive. My first attempt at keema (minced lamb) was met with amazement from my family. This book has convinced me there may be some culinary potential in me after all. If you struggle like I do (did?), get this book. It is invaluable!

5.0 out of 5 stars If you want to cook autentic indian meals.....buy this, 2 May 2003
By A Customer
Well this is the first indian cookery book I bought and wow...
I never realised cooking these foods could be so easy!
The best one by far is the tandori chicken which you prepare the night before, then when cooked, you put into a butter sauce (also prepared the night before)......its fantastic. So yep if you want to cook real homemade indian food this really is a good book!! ;0)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but her "Invitation to Indian Cooking" is better, 30 Sep 1997
By A Customer
This book's publication date is listed above as 1996, but it was first issued in 1982. It is a very good book with simple, tasty recipes, but I believe her earlier book, "Invitation to Indian Cooking" is better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gastronomic Heaven, 19 Jan 1999
By A Customer
This is an excellent book for anyone who wants an introduction to Indian cooking. The recipes are delicious, easy to do and the instructions are very detailed. One of the finest cookbooks that I have ever purchased. a great value.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Illustrated Indian Cookery Course
Illustrated Indian Cookery Course by Madhur Jaffrey (Hardcover - 29 Sep 1994)
Used & New from: £0.01