5.0 out of 5 stars Where would we be without Delia?
This was bought for me when I moved into my first home and I couldn't manage without it. When I emigrated to the United States, this was the only book I brought with me. It is excellent for the basics - pancakes, yorkshire puds and perfect rice. The Christmas cake is the best recipe I have ever found... If I had only 1 book in my kitchen, this would definitley be it!
Published on 14 May 2004

3.0 out of 5 stars Classic
This is the 5th copy of Delia's classic book that I've bought. I love the content - every recipe I've ever tried has worked brilliantly and if you only buy 1 recipe book this should be it but I can only give 3 stars as the quality of the book is a little disappointing - the paper is poor quality and will not withstand the normal kitchen spills and splashes.
Published on 22 May 2012 by jlo

‹ Previous | 1 2 326 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The best basic bible for the kitchen, 17 Aug 2007
This review is from: Complete Cookery Course: Classic Edition (Hardcover)
Delia may have fallen out of favour compared to more modern chefs/ cooks, but as a single reference book for the kitchen, this book has no competition. Why does it work so well when it has few pictures and must be some twenty years old? The index is clear, the book covers recipes as well as basic cooking methodology and most importantly the recipes always work. The absence of pictures and the extensive use of cream/ butter are probably the reasons for its decline. Nevertheless, a good book for everyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for novice cooks, 6 Nov 2003
By A Customer
This is my favourite recipe book, I have found some family favourites which I do again and again so it's been really good value, Christmas pudding, beef in beer, coq au vin, pastry, white sauce, cheescake. I really like the fact that at least some of the recipes use very ordinary ingredients which you have in your cupboard or local shop! There are also some really special recipes but I hate fiddly cooking - I cook like a mad woman and freeze everything so I like things simple enough so I can cook three meals at once, not many recipe books let you do that! It's also a really good reference book, how to do things and what ingredients you can swap about.

5.0 out of 5 stars The most sensible Cookbook ever written!, 3 Jan 2008
J. J. Rhodes "Jonthan Rhodes" (East Sussex, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Complete Cookery Course: Classic Edition (Hardcover)
If I ever end up on that desert island with my eight records, I only hope and pray that this book makes it with me too!

I have just ordered a new (hardback) copy, my 20 year old paperback must needs be pensioned off - not thrown away, I haven't the heart to consign a faithful friend to the bin. I have used it so often, its loose pages even smell of the very recepies they describe! When I bought this book I could hardly boil an egg - twenty years on, I relish having a dozen or so friends round for dinner. Verily, this is The Gospel according to St Delia! An absolute must for any kitchen!

5.0 out of 5 stars She provides a recipe for nearly every ingredient, 20 Aug 2000
By A Customer
I had never heard of Delia Smith before an English friend gave me this book. I enjoy reading it for pleasure and learning about all the different ingredients that I never tried before. When I try a new food which I don't know how to cook, I turn to Delia for instruction. I love the way she expresses her opinions on things - she's obviously full of common sense and has a great sense of humour.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for beginners and experienced cooks alike., 14 Mar 2005
G. Wake "gregwake" (Newcastle, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
A great book to keep handy for making use of new ingredients, trying out new recipes and for gaining new insights into familiar dishes and ingredients. This book explains how to make a variety of dishes for all levels of cooking skill and, most importantly, starts each section with an explanation of the main ingredients and techniques. This makes it highly recommended for anyone interested in broadening their range of dishes and developing new varients on those they already know. Certainly worth having on your bookshelf and contains something suitable for all occasions from the complete menu to a simple snack.

3.0 out of 5 stars Classic, 22 May 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars best cookery book ever, 17 Dec 2009
K. Lowe "thekat" (wolves,uk) - See all my reviews
i am a chef,but i buy this book for anyone who i know has an interest in cooking or needs to learn to cook nice food that is simple to make.
there are no exotic ingredients that you need to hunt for,and if you follow delias recipes to the letter,the meal turns out perfectly every time.
i used to use this book when i was hired to do private dinner parties and the meals were always a huge success.i never revealed my source as the diners always thought i had some very fancy recipes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Start here for classic cookery!, 25 Oct 2007
C. F. Mcmillan (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Complete Cookery Course: Classic Edition (Hardcover)
Just to give you an idea of the dependability and value for money that this classic cookbook provides ... my sister's been using hers for over 15 years. She needs a replacement for her old copy (which is falling apart and full of gravy). My copy's pretty battered too! If you want precise, thoughtful instructions from someone who makes no assumptions about what you know, this is the book to get.

5.0 out of 5 stars The only cookery book you'll ever really need, 12 Nov 2007
As a keen cook, I rate this as the best cookery book ever. Unless you yearn to make bacon & egg ice cream or snail porridge, it contains almost every recipe you are are likely to want.
As in all her books, Delia Smith manages to give useful tips without ever sounding patronising. Follow her instructions and the recipes always work!
The general advice sections on cooking and equipment are also really useful, while the introductions and anecdotes are a good read.
PS - When I wrote this review, I didn't realise the paperback edition doesn't have any illustrations. (The cheaper hardback apparently has a few - but not as many as the original.) It may not bother a lot of people, but I think the pictures are quite useful - and sometimes inspiring. Personally, I'd go for the Complete Illustrated edition. It'll last 20 years so it's well worth the extra few pounds.

5.0 out of 5 stars i don't give five stars easily - but i have to now, 22 Jun 2007
Hambletta-Maud "hamble" (somewhere in west europe) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Complete Cookery Course: Classic Edition (Hardcover)
time and time again i find myself coming back to delia smith's complete cookery course.

i have a collection of over 50 different cookery books. yet it is THIS one that i return to when i want to find something easy to make, with easy-to-find ingredients and that's delicious to eat. forget your jamie oliver (too fake), rick stein (too preachy), nigel slater (too pretentious), sophie grigson (too esoteric), darina allen (too odd!). believe me - this is the book that you will use, like me, time and time again. might i add that the boeuf bourguignon is absolutely awesome.

‹ Previous | 1 2 326 | Next ›

Complete Cookery Course: Classic Edition
Complete Cookery Course: Classic Edition by Delia Smith (Hardcover - 5 Mar 1992)
13.60