5.0 out of 5 stars Where would we be without Delia?
This was bought for me when I moved into my first home and I couldn't manage without it. When I emigrated to the United States, this was the only book I brought with me. It is excellent for the basics - pancakes, yorkshire puds and perfect rice. The Christmas cake is the best recipe I have ever found... If I had only 1 book in my kitchen, this would definitley be it!
Published on 14 May 2004

3.0 out of 5 stars Classic
This is the 5th copy of Delia's classic book that I've bought. I love the content - every recipe I've ever tried has worked brilliantly and if you only buy 1 recipe book this should be it but I can only give 3 stars as the quality of the book is a little disappointing - the paper is poor quality and will not withstand the normal kitchen spills and splashes.
Published on 22 May 2012 by jlo

5.0 out of 5 stars Where would we be without Delia?, 14 May 2004
By A Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars GET IT!!!!!, 27 Oct 2002
This review is from: Complete Cookery Course: Classic Edition (Hardcover)
Having read the reviews on this page, I agree with most of the comments. I too have had problems with a few recipies in regards to timing and oven temp etc etc etc, but as you cook more and more, you kind of get a feeling for things such as temp and time and these problems lessen!
I consider this book to be the pride of my collection!!!
It was bought for my wife many moons ago when it was first released. Since then, my interest in cooking has increased, and I have to say that I use recipies from this book all the time. Despite a few wobbly moments (see previous comments), on the whole the recipies are clear and easy to follow, and there are some real good tips on preperation, on buying produce and on equipment.
I enjoy Delia's style of writing and her opinions regarding food and others recipies! She is a traditional cook and seems to encourage the use of Lard in just about everything (heart blockage on the way!), but the results are fantastic!!!
While I use many cookery books, this is by far my favorite as it has proved useful as a beginer and now as a slightly more experienced cook!!! I can only recommend that you people out there purchase this book!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't be simpler, 13 Mar 2004
This is the ultimate cookbook. Nothing it too overcomplicated, it's suitable for beginners and experts. I have lots of cookbooks but this is the one I come back to again and again.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is brilliant!, 12 Jun 2007
A. Ashton (Sheffield, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Complete Cookery Course: Classic Edition (Hardcover)
This book is absolutely brilliant. If I could have only one cookery book on my kitchen shelf - this would be it. Fantastic value for money, the book is jam-packed with recipes that you'll really use, day-in, day-out. Delia assumes nothing, with clear and practical advice about everything you need to know, including equipment and little cooking techniques that other recipe books just skim over. From how to boil an egg and make perfect, fluffy rice, to tasty and nutritious mid-week meals, plus dishes for special occasions or entertaining, this book has everything! It is inspiring me to cook `proper' meals much more often, and gives me the confidence to try anything. Delia tells you what not to do, as well as what to do, and addresses common problems like cakes that won't rise. As a young woman who enjoys cooking but has quite a lot to learn, this book is like having your mum and your grandma in the kitchen with you, passing on their little tips and handing down the sort of recipes you have warm, fuzzy memories of. Not just for beginners - if you think you've got the hang of the basics already, Delia's simple suggestions will probably push your results from fine to perfect. Cooking is a pleasure with this book, and it is a joy to serve up such good food. Great for family cooking, or (like myself) for a couple. I can't praise this book highly enough. Buy it - you'll wonder how you ever managed without!

5.0 out of 5 stars Probably the best cookery book in a British kitchen, 5 Dec 2006
T. Kaneko (Cambridge, UK) - See all my reviews
I learnt to cook from this book and by God did it teach me to cook all proper and Delia. If there's an old favorite from your childhood you want to cook, it'll be in Delia. An absolute essential reference in any British kitchen. The intro to each recipe is great; you get the idea of what Delia thinks about the dish and you can decide whether to give it a go. The great thing about Delia, and this distinguishes her from all the Jamies and Gordons, is that you can find most of the ingredients (apart from offal, perhaps) in your average supermarket. The remarkable thing about her recipes are that she tells you what not to do as well as what to do. This is what makes her recipes almost fail-safe. Go buy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars A cook's bible., 11 Mar 2000
By A Customer
If I could only have access to one cookery book, then this would be my definitive choice. Tried and tested at many dinner parties, I love Delia's clear instructions and empathy with the novice cooks.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Bible of all Cookbooks! ! ! !, 8 Mar 2004
This book is an absolute gem, it provides you with all of the essential (and dare I say foolproof!) recipes, and is THE bible of the cooking world. It serves as a great reference tool for the experienced while providing the beginner with every recipe they will ever need, from traditional homecooked dishes, to the more exotic foreign meals, baking, barbecues, bread making, even what to do with your left overs! You name it, Delia's got it covered! You won't be dissappointed, trust me!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars I can't praise this enough - the most used of my cookbooks!, 30 Dec 2007
This review is from: Complete Cookery Course: Classic Edition (Hardcover)
I bought this book about five years ago and it is the book to which my husband and I refer over and over for guidance as well as recipes - for cooking cuts of meat, poaching eggs etc. I still use Delia's recipe for Christmas cake and Christmas pudding, not to mention her recipe for roast leg of lamb (a butter and herb coating). Even just for the definitions and descriptions of cooking methods, along with recommended equipment for cooking, I would recommend this book. May it be as well-thumbed a volume in your kitchen as it is in mine.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best basic bible for the kitchen, 17 Aug 2007
This review is from: Complete Cookery Course: Classic Edition (Hardcover)
Delia may have fallen out of favour compared to more modern chefs/ cooks, but as a single reference book for the kitchen, this book has no competition. Why does it work so well when it has few pictures and must be some twenty years old? The index is clear, the book covers recipes as well as basic cooking methodology and most importantly the recipes always work. The absence of pictures and the extensive use of cream/ butter are probably the reasons for its decline. Nevertheless, a good book for everyone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Slight Disappointment, 3 Jan 2010
This review is from: Complete Cookery Course: Classic Edition (Hardcover)
I bought this book for my daughter because her original copy had disintegrated, and assumed - once again,alas,confirming the unwisdom of making assumptions - that because it was entitled "Classic Edition" it would be an exact replica. OK, the recipes are the same, but a whole section on pots, pans and basic information, which was invaluable advice for a novice cook, has been omitted. I think this is a great shame, particularly since it appears that these days so little home cooking takes place.
OTHERWISE of course the book is just as good as it ever was.

Complete Cookery Course: Classic Edition
Complete Cookery Course: Classic Edition by Delia Smith (Hardcover - 5 Mar 1992)