5.0 out of 5 stars Where would we be without Delia?
This was bought for me when I moved into my first home and I couldn't manage without it. When I emigrated to the United States, this was the only book I brought with me. It is excellent for the basics - pancakes, yorkshire puds and perfect rice. The Christmas cake is the best recipe I have ever found... If I had only 1 book in my kitchen, this would definitley be it!
Published on 14 May 2004

3.0 out of 5 stars Classic
This is the 5th copy of Delia's classic book that I've bought. I love the content - every recipe I've ever tried has worked brilliantly and if you only buy 1 recipe book this should be it but I can only give 3 stars as the quality of the book is a little disappointing - the paper is poor quality and will not withstand the normal kitchen spills and splashes.
Published on 22 May 2012 by jlo

‹ Previous | 1 2 336 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for novice cooks, 6 Nov. 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Delia's Complete Cookery Course - Classic Edition: Vol 1-3 in 1v (Paperback)
This is my favourite recipe book, I have found some family favourites which I do again and again so it's been really good value, Christmas pudding, beef in beer, coq au vin, pastry, white sauce, cheescake. I really like the fact that at least some of the recipes use very ordinary ingredients which you have in your cupboard or local shop! There are also some really special recipes but I hate fiddly cooking - I cook like a mad woman and freeze everything so I like things simple enough so I can cook three meals at once, not many recipe books let you do that! It's also a really good reference book, how to do things and what ingredients you can swap about.

5.0 out of 5 stars The most sensible Cookbook ever written!, 3 Jan. 2008
J. J. Rhodes "Jonthan Rhodes" (East Sussex, UK) - See all my reviews
If I ever end up on that desert island with my eight records, I only hope and pray that this book makes it with me too!

I have just ordered a new (hardback) copy, my 20 year old paperback must needs be pensioned off - not thrown away, I haven't the heart to consign a faithful friend to the bin. I have used it so often, its loose pages even smell of the very recepies they describe! When I bought this book I could hardly boil an egg - twenty years on, I relish having a dozen or so friends round for dinner. Verily, this is The Gospel according to St Delia! An absolute must for any kitchen!

3.0 out of 5 stars Classic, 22 May 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars Sensible, dependable, readable - who can beat her?, 18 Jan. 1999
By A Customer
My wife and I used to own Delia's first definitive 'Complete Cookery Course', a modern classic if ever there was one. Not for nothing is Delia known as the Mrs Beeton of our age. Jo is no mean cook herself and, with an A-level in domestic science, is pretty well qualified in the culinary arts. Whether experimenting with something new or just seeking confirmation for some well-tried recipe like roast beef and Yorkshire pudding, Delia's book was the one and only bible necessary to achieve new heights of perfection. That copy (or was it the first replacement?) went off to university with our middle son and never returned. We did catch glimpse of it once, in dreadful state, hiding amongst the piles of greasy pots, pans and plates that served fourteen bright young things on a Telford campus. We were assured by some it was the only book students ever found remotely useful. Now, we have upgraded to her illustrated version (A new edition for the 1990's!). My first step was to laminate the dust-jacket for added protection. It should just about last to the millennium. My own cooking exploits are notorious but, bragging apart, I once single-handedly cooked a roast turkey dinner with six fresh vegetables and all the trimmings, including homemade bread sauce, to near perfection thanks to this book. No self-respecting cook should be without it.....

5.0 out of 5 stars best cookery book ever, 17 Dec. 2009
K. Lowe "thekat" (wolves,uk) - See all my reviews
i am a chef,but i buy this book for anyone who i know has an interest in cooking or needs to learn to cook nice food that is simple to make.
there are no exotic ingredients that you need to hunt for,and if you follow delias recipes to the letter,the meal turns out perfectly every time.
i used to use this book when i was hired to do private dinner parties and the meals were always a huge success.i never revealed my source as the diners always thought i had some very fancy recipes.

5.0 out of 5 stars She provides a recipe for nearly every ingredient, 20 Aug. 2000
By A Customer
I had never heard of Delia Smith before an English friend gave me this book. I enjoy reading it for pleasure and learning about all the different ingredients that I never tried before. When I try a new food which I don't know how to cook, I turn to Delia for instruction. I love the way she expresses her opinions on things - she's obviously full of common sense and has a great sense of humour.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Bible of Housekeeping, 22 Feb. 2012
Kate Hopkins (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I'd muddled on for years cooking from recipe cards from Waitrose and Sainsburys or borrowing recipes from my mother - when I finally decided to learn to cook properly, at the age of 29, I bought this as a good all purpose guide. It's absolutely brilliant, and we've been well-fed at home on the recipes in it ever since. Delia teaches you all the basics: how to do a good Sunday roast, how to make gravy and other sauces, stuffing and pastry, things you can do with rice and pasta, different things you can do with fruit. She also provides lots of recipes, of varying stages of difficulty, which can serve either for standard evening meals or for dinner parties. I am now confident at making all sorts of pies, cooking roast dinners, making stuffing, bread sauce, a variety of gravies, and a whole set of puddings. The book is helpfully divided into fish, meat (first red meat, then poultry) and vegetarian food, and also examines dishes with pasta, dishes with rice, any dishes involving pastry, puddings, cakes, biscuits and picnic fayre. There are so many good dishes it's worth just browsing for fun! My favourites include:

Goulash - but add some dumplings for extra fun!
Simple stroganoff - maybe add some tomatoes
Chicken liver and bacon risotto
Plaice with mushrooms and creme fraiche
Mediterranean fish
Spicy chicken
Any of the roasts
Lemon meringue pie
Rhubarb fool/gooseberry fool
Fruit crumbles
Spiced apple pie

Just one tip - some of the meals use cream, and I'd use 1/2 fat creme fraiche instead (healthier and tastier) and a few of the meals need spicing up slightly with extra herbs and spices as they can be a tiny bit bland otherwise. A lot of the recipes can be slightly adapted. But all in all a wonderful book and as good and clear as one could hope for. A wonderful introduction to cookery.

5.0 out of 5 stars Start here for classic cookery!, 25 Oct. 2007
C. F. Mcmillan (UK) - See all my reviews
Just to give you an idea of the dependability and value for money that this classic cookbook provides ... my sister's been using hers for over 15 years. She needs a replacement for her old copy (which is falling apart and full of gravy). My copy's pretty battered too! If you want precise, thoughtful instructions from someone who makes no assumptions about what you know, this is the book to get.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for beginners and experienced cooks alike., 14 Mar. 2005
G. Wake "gregwake" (Newcastle, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
A great book to keep handy for making use of new ingredients, trying out new recipes and for gaining new insights into familiar dishes and ingredients. This book explains how to make a variety of dishes for all levels of cooking skill and, most importantly, starts each section with an explanation of the main ingredients and techniques. This makes it highly recommended for anyone interested in broadening their range of dishes and developing new varients on those they already know. Certainly worth having on your bookshelf and contains something suitable for all occasions from the complete menu to a simple snack.

5.0 out of 5 stars The only cookery book you'll ever really need, 12 Nov. 2007
As a keen cook, I rate this as the best cookery book ever. Unless you yearn to make bacon & egg ice cream or snail porridge, it contains almost every recipe you are are likely to want.
As in all her books, Delia Smith manages to give useful tips without ever sounding patronising. Follow her instructions and the recipes always work!
The general advice sections on cooking and equipment are also really useful, while the introductions and anecdotes are a good read.
PS - When I wrote this review, I didn't realise the paperback edition doesn't have any illustrations. (The cheaper hardback apparently has a few - but not as many as the original.) It may not bother a lot of people, but I think the pictures are quite useful - and sometimes inspiring. Personally, I'd go for the Complete Illustrated edition. It'll last 20 years so it's well worth the extra few pounds.

‹ Previous | 1 2 336 | Next ›