on 11 February 2002
This book is simply brilliant. A plethora of recipe ideas for everyone, from a family of four to party throwing. Simple to use and easy to read - keep it by your side at Christmas and you can't go wrong. Can't believe anyone could complain about measurements and timings! Essentially - this is the whole point! Not only great food but a diary of events leading upto the big day! Can't prasie the book highly enough - my copy is well worn. It just isn't Christmas without it!
on 16 December 2008
I have had this book since it was first published and my food splattered, dog eared copy has stayed by my side every festive season. It cannot be beaten - the pudding is the most moist, delectable ever eaten, the cake is dried fruit nirvana...the casseroles have been adored by anyone who has tried them, sausage rolls that melt in the mouth...I can't rave enough really!
It also has a foolproof timetable for Christmas Day.
I wish I had a £1 for everytime I have recommended this book over the years - I'd be a millionare :)
on 13 December 1998
In the great Delia Smith tradition this book takes the mystery and misery out of cooking. Christmas is a time of great expectations, armed with this book you can deliver without the worry. You do not need the touch of a master chef to create a feast, just follow the execllent recipies.
on 13 November 2000
I bought this book because the in-laws were coming over for christmas dinner and all i can say was that it was a great success! they loved it and i am now on good terms with them! Deila Really puts pen to paper in this book she is truely a culinary wizard!
on 27 August 2008
I start reading this about six weeks before Christmas when I make the Christmas pud and Cake. Along with 'The box of delights', this book is part of the perfect build up to Christmas. Admittedly I haven't tried all the recipes but if you want a blow by blow account of how to rustle up the perfect Christmas dinner plus other festive essentials then I commend this book to you.
on 5 October 2008
Long before cookery became the province of lifestyle gurus and policiticians Delia was out there doing what she does better than anyone who has come after her. With her no-nonsense, modest approach she taught a nation how to cook. Her Christmas book is a 5 star classic. Her instructions are detailed and fail-safe. When the pressure is on over Christmas there's nobody I'd trust more to get me through the festive period. She is the original domestic goddess!!
on 9 October 2001
Being a vegetarian can sometimes make for a boring diet, particularly on special occasions such as Xmas. Delia's Xmas recipe for creamed parnsip roulade with sage and onion stuffing has finally given me something that looks and tastes great with the added bonus of being 'carve-able' - all the tastes of the season with all of the ritual of a proper roast dinner! Fantastic!
on 1 September 2008
I have had this book for a number of years now and the cakes I have made using the recipes have been outstanding! Everything is explained precisely the way it should be and the results are often better than expected. I would recommend this book 100% - especially if you are a lover of fruit cakes. I will be making my Christmas cake this year based on this recipe! Guaranteed to go down very well!
on 17 March 2008
As a Christmasaholic, I look forward to getting this book down from the shelf at the beginning of November, to start all the fun bits before the hassle starts. (Though you'll need plenty of space in the freezer.)
I'd really recommend the Christmas chutney and the spiced apricot & orange chutney, sausage rolls, mincemeat and - best of all - the light glace fruit cake. So would all my friends and family! And there are some great veggie recipes.
Her Christmas lunch schedule, giving you all the timings, is brilliant, although you can actually do a lot more of it a day or so in advance to leave more time on the day.
I'd recommend this as a great present - but maybe not a Christmas present!
on 13 September 2000
I always had 'phobias'about all the hassels and panic the Christmas preparations bring. Thanks to this book, I always feel safe that no one will be dissapointed with any of the dishes. Once you follow all the guidelines in this book, you will notice that it is so well explained that you will prepare an unforgettable Christmas dinner for all your guests, leaving them almost speechless. I was so impressed for the perfect timings and the cooking methods so easily explained. I could not help but recommend it to all my friends. I've been refering to it for the past two years and I can say that all recipes were successful. It is the best Christmas recipe book ever made!