5.0 out of 5 stars Essential for anyone wanting to produce good quality food!
Published on 14 Sept. 1999

3.0 out of 5 stars The one I always reach for first
I have a library of over 100 'cookery'and recipe books. Some are classics and some are useless, but, over the years, I keep returning to just three of them (the other two are Nigel Slater's Real Cooking and Ken Hom's Chinese Cookery). Yes, she can state the obvious. Yes, she can be irritatingly twee: "What you do then is...". But the recipes work, they taste really good,...
Published on 9 Aug. 2007 by J. Springbett

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential for anyone wanting to produce good quality food!, 14 Sept. 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Complete Illustrated Cookery Course ( Classic Edition ) (Hardcover)
For someone wanting to learn the basic concepts and theories of quality cooking, this is an absolutely ideal book. There is a fabulous range of recipies and techniques to cater for every occasion and all standards of cook, from beginner - through to advanced. Although many will ridicule the fact that Delia explains to us how to boil an egg properly - they should bear in mind that there is still a significant number of people who are genuinely lost in a kitchen, yet who genuinely want to learn how to do things properly right from the beginning. Although this hardbook illustrated version costs more than the paperback, it really is worth the extra money - illustrations clarifying Delia's step-by-step instructions as well as giving pointers as to how the dish in question should turn out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everyone's first cookbook..., 12 April 2006
I have about ten cookbooks, but by far Delia's Cookery Course is the best of them all. The recipes are clear, well laid out with different chapters, the book is sturdy and Delia writes interestingly on the various dishes and even equipment needed - but most importantly, the recipes are EASY!!!!!

I have never, ever failed with a recipe from this book, they are all so practical and clear. Delia Smith takes nothing for granted and explains each step simply. The dishes themselves are very tasty and look very nice. Everyone will be familiar with them as well, from the potato and leek soup to the Apple Crumble. One final thing: her souffles don't collapse! Buy it!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Complete Cookery Course, 23 Nov. 2005
D. Mohanani "Dil" (Sri Lanka) - See all my reviews
I used many of her recipes at christmas time last year and plan on using them again this year. I made Christmas Pudding, mince pies and my own mincemeat. Her recipe for mincemeat was the best I have tried so far and this was the first time I made christmas pudding. All items turned out very well. The instructions are very clear and easy to follow. At no time was I confused about the instructions and that for me makes this book one I would recommend very highly.

4.0 out of 5 stars Delia is fantastic as always, 10 Nov. 2003
Dr. A. Clark (London, UK) - See all my reviews
Delia's writing style is wonderful - interesting, entertaining, and very easy-to-follow instructions. Complemented by the lovely photographs in this edition, Delia's inimitable style makes this book worth buying even if you don't have a kitchen. And if you do have a kitchen, you WILL be able to follow all these recipes even if you have hardly even boiled an egg before. The one negative comment I could make is that this compilation of recipes is starting to look a little dated now, and perhaps doesn't reflect the hugely increased range of products available in supermarkets. Having said that, for good home cooking you couldn't find a better starting point than this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good old Delia, 14 Oct. 2009
K. Wood - See all my reviews
I have a well-thumbed version of this book which has been my bible for 25years. I decided to buy the illustrated version for my daughter as she entered her first house in Uni. It is much more readable than the old version and the pics help.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delia's Illustrated Cookery Course, 15 Mar. 2011
This may not be a new book but for a cooking novice like me it's a life saver on basic stuff that you'll need if you're forced into cooking. It has a great index so you can find things very quickly. Some great fail-safe recipes which you can't fail with. Highly recommended. It's become my cooking bible. My wife had a soft back copy which became very tattered (shows you how much it was used). Becausae of illness, she can't cook now so I replaced the old copy with a new hardback version. It's much more user friendly.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great introduction to cooking, dated recipes, 15 Jan. 2007
This book is probably the best book for someone just starting to cook.

The writing style is simple, easy, witty and the information is very, very useful.

However, I find the recipes very dated, like something that was fashionable in the 70's and 80's. I don't mean to say that cooking necesserily needs to be fashionable, but there is too much emphasis on very traditional, meaty, stogy dishes, very English-like, although - the recipes work. I am more geared to healthy, lighter eating, and I find the book a bit too heavy heanded with its recipes, but that's only me.

But I am sure, had the book been written more recently, it would have been much fresher (as they are some great recipes on Delia's website).

Perhaps the dishes are kept more traditional and old-fashioned as they may be easier to make for the beginner then some modern recipes, which perhaps use some less known ingredients. But this is the metter of taste and choice.

So I would say, this book is the best book for the cooking instructions and methods, but for the recipes, I would say it is so-so, at least for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delia at her best, 6 Jun. 2012
Had a copy of the original version back in 1982 and this was bought as a replacement. All the same recipes but in a bigger book with more photos. Nearly bought the cheaper, later version paperback, but glad I didn't. This version of the BBC book was first published in 1989, but the reprinted issue received is 2007. The book is made in the UK and the binding, paper quality and printing are all high quality. Great book, great information, recipes that work and essential reference manual for beginners and seasoned cooks; giving great basic information for all who aspire to succeed and love to cook great tasting food.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you only want one cookery book- this is it!, 9 Aug. 2001
By A Customer
My Dad bought me this book soon after I got married in 1989. I have used it so often and it takes pride of place on my bookshelf. My favourite phrase when asked by people how I have cooked something is "Delia says..." It has everything you will ever need to know about cooking

4.0 out of 5 stars Complete illustrated cookery course, 9 May 2011
I bought for my brother in law after he had a look through my copy. It is a great book for the basics of cooking and has loads of useful information about different cuts of meat and various different types of food. I have certain recipes that I always follow, but some of the other recipes are a bit out dated. I definitely recommend it as a reference book.

Complete Illustrated Cookery Course ( Classic Edition )
Complete Illustrated Cookery Course ( Classic Edition ) by Delia Smith (Hardcover - 12 Oct. 1989)